It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
(female)

timteach2 HB User
big trouble after using "neti pot"

Last week I had a horrible cold that would not seem to leave. It pretty much seemed contained to my head and nose. My sinuses were horribly congested so I got out my NeilMed Sinus Rinse (sort of like a neti pot but squeezable) . I followed the directions but I guess I didn't blow my nose gently enough because I felt a sort of "pop" in my left ear and it started ringing. Well, after a couple of days my nose was still stuffed up so I thought I had a sinus infection. When the doctor looked in my ear he told me that it was bright red and that my eardrum was bulging and infected (I assume the mucus backed up and got trapped in the eustachian tube). He put me on a strong antibiotic and a steroid pack. It has been 6 days since "the incident" and 2 1/2 since I went to the doctor. The pain is mostly gone but the feeling of fullness and the ringing is still there and it has started to itch a bit. There is also an odd sensation with sound. It seem to get to the right ear first and a split second later it gets to the left ear but it has a "tinny" sound (if that makes sense). O.K., has anyone else had this experience and will it get better? I am starting to get scared because I am afraid that I did permanent damage. If anyone has any advice I surely would appreciate it.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: big trouble after using "neti pot"

I'd give it a little while longer and if it doesn't go away go back to the ENT. I also use the same thing as you and yes, if you blow your nose too hard it makes the ear pop. As far as the ringing, it is tinnitus and I've had it for years. They have a million reasons why you have it, but don't seem to really know.

I've heard it could be due to loss of hearing yet when I had my hearing tested it was ABOVE normal..go figure.

Hope your feeling better soon....JJ....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
(female)

sahm777 HB User
Re: big trouble after using "neti pot"

I just has that happen a couple days ago. I don't have ringing, but pain and popping and feeling like I can't hear as well. ( one ear only) I also blew my nose to hard during the netipot rinse and felt a pop along with pain. I have been taking advil and sinus pills to keep the swelling and mucous out of there, but they only mask..It's not seeming to get better. I also take ear drops with probiotics a few times a day and use a hot pack for temporary relief. All these things bring relief but no healing. I really don't like antibiotics and I feel like if I go the the Doctor that's immediately going to be their only answer. How did it turn out for you?

Closed Thread