It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2011, 09:37 AM   #1
(female)

amberlea434 HB User
Painful, swollen lymph node in lower neck...

Hey everybody.

I noticed something yesterday and I'm freaking out just a tad (no help to online research, it just makes me crazy) and I wanted to get some opinions on when/if I should see a doctor.

Yesterday, I noticed that the mid to lower part of the left side of my neck was pretty sore. I could turn my head, but it was definitely sore. I started to feel around on my neck and found what I'm assuming is a swollen lymph node. It's kinda small, it takes me a few seconds to find each time, but very tender. When I press on it, it's not extremely hard, but firm and it's very mobile. In fact, when I mess with it, it moves around a lot.

I don't really have any other symptoms except below the back of my neck, closer to between my shoulder blades, feels tight and sore. That could just be a coincidence seeing as I think I may have pulled something a few days ago and the right part of my neck towards my right shoulder blade has been sore.

I tried not to research it online, but of course I did, and all it did was make me worry. Could this just be an infection that I should wait out? Or should I go ahead and see a doctor? Just looking for some peace of mind.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
(female)

Bluemoon6 HB User
Re: Painful, swollen lymph node in lower neck...

If it isn't painful like a lymph node would be it could be a brachial cleft cyst. Just look that up. I recently had one removed. It grew quite large over time and my doctor thought it was going to be cancer.

Surgery is easy for things like that. (The tonsillectomy I got in conjecture, not so smooth.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
(female)

amberlea434 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemoon6 View Post
If it isn't painful like a lymph node would be it could be a brachial cleft cyst. Just look that up. I recently had one removed. It grew quite large over time and my doctor thought it was going to be cancer.

Surgery is easy for things like that. (The tonsillectomy I got in conjecture, not so smooth.)
I looked it up, but I don't think that's what I have. This is something that appeared out of nowhere and I've never had anything like it before. It's not extremely painful, but definitely hurts a bit when I press on it and when I turn my neck, it feels sore.

Thanks for the response!

Old 04-12-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
(female)

Bluemoon6 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberlea434 View Post
I looked it up, but I don't think that's what I have. This is something that appeared out of nowhere and I've never had anything like it before. It's not extremely painful, but definitely hurts a bit when I press on it and when I turn my neck, it feels sore.

Thanks for the response!
Just to let you know, mine came out of no where. It grew to the size of a grapefruit in 2 months and I never knew I had it before! It didn't get sore for me until 4 days before surgery because it was just so darn big by then.

I've never had anything like this happen to me before and it doesn't run in my family.

If you are worried, get a biopsy. I got one and it showed up negative for cancer or an infection and they still weren't sure what it was until they surgically removed it. Biopsy's are a bit uncomfortable, but they numb it and it wasn't as bad as getting and IV.

Closed Thread