It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2011, 04:36 PM   #1
(female)

polarity HB User
Hearing loss from sleeping on ear?

I usually sleep on my ear, and usually nothing happens save for the occasional event (once in a few months maybe?) where I wake up and my hearing has been dulled (a clogged feeling?) in whichever ear I sleep in. However, this usually goes away either after a few large yawns or 1~2 hours max by itself.

--

Two days ago, I woke up from sleeping on my right/better ear to find that my hearing in it had become very dulled/clogged. Usually my hearing is quite good, but that morning I had trouble hearing even my mother yelling outside the door of my room. Usually, it isn't really that intense, and even if it is, it goes away with a pop after a yawn or two/pressing on my ear, or it fades back to normal within an hour or two.

It took five or six hours for it to get noticeably better though, although still much worse compared to my normal hearing. Around that time, I put my head down for a little while, my right ear down facing the desk but not touching anything, and I could feel my hearing get worse again, like the clogging was rushing down to my right ear or something.

I thought it was just my right ear, so when I got home from school, I took a nap on my left ear, but that caused my left ear to have the same problems too. However, my left ear went back to normal fairly quickly.

--

Usually sleeping on my ears cause no problems at all, but now I can't sleep on either ear without my hearing going weird (left recovers quickly though). My right ear/better ear/one that usually recovers quicker has still not gone back to normal, or is going back really, really slowly...

I can hear normally in my right ear for about a second during a really large yawn or a closed-mouth burp.

--

I thought I would just continue waiting it out, but after reading some things about "golden hours" and sudden hearing loss and how waiting isn't good, I'm a little scared. Next year in University, I'm going to be working with visual and audio stuff a lot, and my vision went from 20/10 to not-as-great overnight (literally) already, so I'm a little paranoid about it happening to my ears, haha.

Also, if it helps, I'm 18, there is no pain in my ears, I have not been on a plane recently, and (I think) I do not have a cold.

Thank you!

Edit: Actually, after I took my shower, there seems to be some very, very mild pain in my right ear... I can't get to a doctor until Monday though.

Last edited by polarity; 04-15-2011 at 06:45 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
(female)

stuffycat HB User
Re: Hearing loss from sleeping on ear?

I was hoping to read a reply because I am experiencing the exact same thing as you. I never had this problem before, to this extent. At least not when I am healthy. When i have an upper respiratory infection, I expect it. But at the moment I am breathing through my nose with no problem (for once), but I slept on my left side and upon waking up, my left ear is clogged and nothing is helping. I put a few drops of peroxide in my ear, in case of wax buildup - it didn't help. I took a decongestant, used Flonase, yawned, chewed, swallowed, burped, blew my nose - nothing is helping. I feel your frustration!

Closed Thread