It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2011, 01:03 AM   #1
(male)

jlg893 HB User
Tonsillectomy scabs - day 6?

I had my tonsillectomy last Friday April 22. Everything has been pretty normal and progressing normally it seems. The pain up until yesterday was minimal, with nights always being the worse of it.

Yesterday afternoon and tonight I notice when I look at my throat the white scabs appear to be thinning, I can see pink/reddish tissue through it. Also wondering if this explains the increase in pain level.

It day 6 the normal time for this to happen? I thought I remember most people experiencing this on day 10-11?

Are my scabs starting to come off to early? I am very well hydrated and have been eating pretty good, soft stuff only though, pudding,soup,cream of wheat, etc.

Thanks

Old 04-28-2011, 04:50 AM   #2
(female)

choirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB User
Re: Tonsillectomy scabs - day 6?

I had about 15 minutes of horrible pain on Day 7. It hurt a lot to swallow on Days 7 and 8. After that, things got better rapidly. I stopped pain meds completely on Day 10.

My post-op instruction sheet says the membrane comes off somewhere from Day 5 to Day 12. Sounds like you're doing pretty well with your recovery and that the end is near.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2011, 04:55 AM   #3
(male)

jlg893 HB User

I wonder what the body does during the night. I can go all day with minimal pain. Then sitting in the same position at night the pain really ramps up. I dozed off this morning and woke up about 5:30am, in extreme pain. Everything hurt, ears,head,neck,throat. Just intense throbbing pain. I figured, hey since this hurts so bad I might as well drink a bottle of water. So I forced one down. Didn't notice any increase or decrease in pain, I guess cause I was close to my max pain level. Feeling better now, pain level about 5 levels lower.

This was how yesterday went as well. I also notice it's extremely hard to talk and hurts to. This makes my wife happy, she said she has been waiting for some peace and quiet for 13 years. :-)

Old 04-28-2011, 05:26 AM   #4
(female)

choirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB User

Maybe it's because you aren't sipping any water when you're sleeping.

Have you tried ice packs on your neck?

It never did bother me to talk. My husband probably would have liked some of that peace and quiet.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:04 AM   #5
(male)

jlg893 HB User

I tend to do better pain wise if I just drink a bottle instead of constant sipping of water. So I will just drink down a bottle of water over a 10 min period then let me throat rest. When I let it rest after about 5-10 min the pain starts to subside.

I wake myself up at night ever hour to hour and half to drink a bottle. When I drink these bottles it's hardcore pain, but i just force it down.

I hope eating gets easier over the next few days, I had no problems at all the first 4-5 days and yesterday it started to get very painful and hard.

I forced down some scrambled eggs this morning, talk about hard, but damn they tasted good.

Closed Thread