It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2011, 10:54 AM   #1
(female)

livelaughlovek2 HB User
Exclamation I jabbed the inside of my ear with a q tip now hearing is muffled?

Last night when I got out of the shower, I cleaned my ears with a Q tip. & when i was doing my right ear, i accidentally jabbed the inside of my ear a little too hard i guess because the next thing i knew, my hearing got really muffled. It feels like i have an ear plug in it. There's no pain at all, but it is a bit swollen.

My family told me to wait it out until monday and if it isn't better then, then we will go to the ER. It is still the same as it was last night! i'm really worried. my left ear is completely normal though.

A lot of people said it might be that i pushed ear wax too far in my ear but i doubt that's the case because right after i jabbed the inside of my ear, everything got muffled! so i know it has something to do with me pushing something in my ear too hard.

Last edited by livelaughlovek2; 05-08-2011 at 10:55 AM.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: I jabbed the inside of my ear with a q tip now hearing is muffled?

Ear wax normally lines the inside of the ear canal and when you use a Q-Tip too deep in, it takes that wax that is on the skin and bunches it up into a wad against the ear drum. And then everything becomes muffled....like you are trying to hear through a wad of wax.

If you had hurt the ear drum itself you'd know as it hurts like He!!.

Call your doc's office on Monday AM and make an appointment to have them check and clean out your ear. They have a great little tool to remove whatever you have in there(I remember my son having to have a whole lot of sand taken out after a camping trip with the Boy Scouts....how he got sand in his ear, I have no idea and he wouldn't tell). Once the canal is clean, your doc can then look inside and see if you did any damage.

With ears, if it doesn't hurt, you most likely haven't done anything bad. With ears, "bad" hurts a lot.

Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #3
(female)

livelaughlovek2 HB User

thank you!

but do you really think the problem is wax if i jabbed the wall of my ear?

Old 05-08-2011, 09:58 PM   #4
(female)

adpace HB Useradpace HB User

I agree that it's likely ear wax or something you shoved up in your ear. I have also jabbed a Q-tip too far into my ear and the repercussion for me was to get an ear infection. I think you would be hurting A LOT if you had done anything serious enough to mess your hearing up. But, just get into the doctor and see what he/she says. And. . . try to avoid using the Q-tips (I know how hard this can be if you have allergies - I'm terrible about using them!). Hope you feel better and can hear normally again soon!

The Following User Says Thank You to adpace For This Useful Post:
livelaughlovek2 (05-09-2011)
Old 05-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
(female)

livelaughlovek2 HB User

thank you! i'm going to the doctor's today to have it checked out. it's still muffled, but i feel a slight difference like it's not AS muffled as before.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
(female)

adpace HB Useradpace HB User

Curious as to what the doctor said. Hopefully all is well!

Old 06-20-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
(male)

greatngray HB User

I have done the same thing. A few days ago, I felt some ear wax stuck up in my right ear and I tried to remove it by using a Q tip and I think I shoved the ear wax down into my ear cavity. My hearing is muffled and cannot seem to remove the wax. This has happened to me several months ago and I can't remember how but it cleared up somehow. I think I went to a high altitude location on a road trip and my ears popped and it was fixed but I can't quite remember. I've tried everything I can think of. My mom (I'm 16) and I have tried several remedies. Hydrogen Peroxide in the ear for 30 seconds then draining, even alcohol in the ear which was quite painful and did nothing neither did the peroxide. I cannot seem to remove it. Is there no other way to remove the wax without making a trip to see my doctor?

Old 06-26-2012, 01:59 PM   #8
(male)

shawnph HB User

Don't put straight hydrogen peroxide or other things in your ear like that if you don't know what the problem is. Now if you're fairly sure it's wax, you can get some loosener at the drug store, with a bulb syringe. Let it sit in the ear a few minutes, then flush gently with the bulb using sterilized water. It may take a few tries but can come out if it's wax.

The doctor can of course look in to diagnose the problem and then remove the wax. But they're in a rush and may be fairly forceful with the irrigation, which can cause more problems. They gave me tinnitus in one ear, lasted now about 5 weeks, by irrigating too hard. So check out the home method first.

Closed Thread