It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
(male)

Ben17 HB User
Blocked feeling in ear, with ringing and deafness.

Hi, i'm 19 years old and have suffered from tinnitus from about the age of 14/15, and also have cracking noises in my ears when swallowing (Which i've never been to my doctor about, any ideas what this is)? Anyway, 2 days ago I randomly decided to clean my ears with cotton buds, I cleaned my left ear and all was good, then AS SOON as I placed the cotton bud in my right ear, a 'blocked' feeling suddenly came on. I didn't think anything of it at first and just tried blowing whilst holding my nose, but the blocked feeling remained. Two days later, my ear is still feeling blocked, almost like the feeling of a blocked nose. There is also a very high pitched ringing in the perticular ear, much louder than the tinnitus i've been use to for the past few years, and i've also noticed that my hearing in that ear has been reduced (not to much, but enough to notice). So i'm currently sat here, and it's still feeling clogged and blocked, and ringing. I have a doctors appointment on Monday, but was wondering if any of you could kindly give me any advice as what's possibly wrong, as i'm very worried at the minute. Remember, it's not something that gradually came on, it suddenly started as soon as the cotton bud entered my ear.

Thank you very much in advance,
Ben.

Last edited by Ben17; 06-02-2011 at 02:42 PM.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:59 PM   #2
(male)

Wozza HB User
Re: Blocked feeling in ear, with ringing and deafness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben17 View Post
Hi, i'm 19 years old and have suffered from tinnitus from about the age of 14/15, and also have cracking noises in my ears when swallowing (Which i've never been to my doctor about, any ideas what this is)? Anyway, 2 days ago I randomly decided to clean my ears with cotton buds, I cleaned my left ear and all was good, then AS SOON as I placed the cotton bud in my right ear, a 'blocked' feeling suddenly came on. I didn't think anything of it at first and just tried blowing whilst holding my nose, but the blocked feeling remained. Two days later, my ear is still feeling blocked, almost like the feeling of a blocked nose. There is also a very high pitched ringing in the perticular ear, much louder than the tinnitus i've been use to for the past few years, and i've also noticed that my hearing in that ear has been reduced (not to much, but enough to notice). So i'm currently sat here, and it's still feeling clogged and blocked, and ringing. I have a doctors appointment on Monday, but was wondering if any of you could kindly give me any advice as what's possibly wrong, as i'm very worried at the minute. Remember, it's not something that gradually came on, it suddenly started as soon as the cotton bud entered my ear.

Thank you very much in advance,
Ben.
Hello Ben,

Sounds abit like what I done earlier in the year, I always cleaned my ears out with a q-tip, and one day I got a little bit adventurous and accidentally pierced my eardrum, I instantly had a full feeling and a watery discharge, I could also blow air through my ear.

Thankfully this healed in a few days, but I was left with the clogged feeling and intense pressure, it felt like it was going to burst, this cleared in about 3 weeks, but I had the ringing and still do although nowhere near as bad as before, also I get the click sound when swallowing this I believe is the eustachian tube this also cause tinnitus.
The eustachian tubes open and close everytime we swallow or yawn and this regulates the pressure and removes any crap from the middle ear, so if it's not working right you get the pressure or full sensation and the clicking, it's basically just mucus stuck in there.

I'm still seeing the ENT and having audio tests done, but I can say that it's much better than before, also I found hot showers help with the clicking and less dairy products, anything basically that can help clear the crap from your nose and throat, and as you say you have had this for years it maybe a bigger issue that you should get checked out.
Most forum users are not experts just other sufferers, so It is right to go see the doctor and get a referral to an ENT if needed.

All the best Wozza.

PS, never stick anything in your ears, or learn the hardway.

Last edited by Wozza; 06-02-2011 at 11:07 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread