It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #1
(male)

george3702 HB User
Unhappy Crackling Sound in Ear? (ETD?)

For a year I have had a crackling sound in my right ear whenever I move my jaw. I researched this and found that most likely it was Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. However, I'm am debating whether or not I should see a doctor as it seems that many people say there is "no successful cure" for ETD.

I have tried inhaling steam, chewing gum, and "blowing while plugging your nose" (My right ear seems blocked when I do the last one).

So are there any simple cures for ETD and should I see a doctor?

Old 07-03-2011, 08:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Crackling Sound in Ear? (ETD?)

Seeing you have had it for a year, have you ever seen an ENT Dr.? It could be ETD or it might be TMJ. I have sinus issues and get that plugged feeling quite a bit. My ENT gave me a Neilmed sinus rinse kit, very similar to a Neti Pot, but a plastic bottle and it does help. There are so many symptoms that could be the same for many different things, so I'd see a Dr. rather then try to self diagnose myself.

Good luck..JJ...

Last edited by JJ; 07-03-2011 at 08:03 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2011, 08:42 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User

It might be the medial pterygoid muscle. If you're willing to spend some money just to see if this might help, find a physical therapist or massage therapist trained and certified to perform intraoral TMJ massage. The muscle is inside the mouth so they really have to know what they're doing and wear gloves like a dental hygienist.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
(male)

george3702 HB User

It's definitely not TMJ as I can feel a "blocked" sensation in my right ear when I plug my nose and blow.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User

No, please. Please do not misunderstand. I am not saying that you have TMJ. I am only saying that the practitioner who can help you will be someone who is experienced in TMJ therapies because the same muscles are involved. The action of the medial pterygoid muscle can cause exactly the symptoms that you are having. When the medial pterygoid is too tight it will block the action of the muscle that opens the eusatchian tube and create the "blocked" or "plugged" feeling.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:15 PM   #6
(male)

jeffne HB User

yes it does this do to fluid build up or mucus build up and allergies prevent the tube from draining to stop this terrible thing as mine is clearing up and out took me a month since mine started from bacteria infection. Now only drink water alot of it stay away from to much salty food for awhile then take standard claritin 24 hour kind not any of that D stuff like claritin d or allegra d just regular old claritin at night before bed. Then get Dr. to prescribe you nasonex no scent not flonase or fluticasone and then read right way to spray to get it in the eustachian tubes and do not press on ears if you can help it and do not do the valsvalva maneuver only makes it take longer to get rid of it do this and you will be happy again really soon trust me I did it.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:38 PM   #7
(male)

rpg HB User

I had a scratching sound in my ear for months when I moved my jaw. Someone mentioned to me that it could be a lose hair rubbing against my eardrum. Not having any health insurance, I used a que tip very (and I mean very) carefully and rotated a little while inside. When I withdrew the tip, a hair was on top of it. I have not had the scratching sound since. I didn't realize I was such a good surgeon but wouldn't recommend trying this if you have health insurance, just go to a good ear doctor. Best of Luck to you!

Closed Thread