It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2011, 03:29 PM   #1
(female)

krich HB User
17 year old tonsillectomy ! NEED TO KNOWS.

So I had my tonsils out last Tuesday, and I am really hungry.
What should I do. My mom bought me a meal supplement, but it's chocolate, and I can't taste anything which is alright with me, but its too thick to go down. Also, yogurt is really thick as well which makes me kind of hesitant to try some icecream. I had a few small bites of oatmeal a few minutes ago, but pretty much ended up choking on it so I decided to stop eating it. I can eat milk based products just as long as I have a glass of water to chase it down. I see a lot of posts where people have eaten scrambled eggs, I am just wondering if that would be alright to eat or if maybe I should just suck it up and wait a week, and deal with my hunger.. Please help me out

Old 07-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
(female)

choirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB User
Re: 17 year old tonsillectomy ! NEED TO KNOWS.

I practically lived on instant mashed potatoes beginning the day after my surgery. "Real" ones would be okay, too. You can add milk to make them as thin as you need them to be, although the normal consistency went down great for me. I only thinned them out for a couple of days when the pain ramped up while the "scabs" were coming off.

Anything that broke up into little pieces would get stuck. I learned to put a little food in my mouth...chew, chew, chew...take some liquid into my mouth...and then swallow food and liquid together. I didn't have to do that with mashed potatoes, though. They just went right on down.

Last edited by choirgirl; 07-16-2011 at 03:44 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to choirgirl For This Useful Post:
krich (07-16-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
(female)

krich HB User

Thank you ! I had some scrambled eggs today and I cut them up extremely small and they went down pretty well. I also made some mac n cheese but that was a little too hard to eat because my ears were hurting really bad at that moment, so I waited a little while and had some jel-lo and now I feel fine. I think I will get my mom to make me some mashed potatoes for me for tomorrow, I think I should just stick to cold liquids for today because a whole scrambled egg and a few bites of mac n cheese was a bit of an accomplishment for me to last me the rest of the day. My mom, sister and aunt are out shopping for my sisters birthday, and I asked her to bring me some cream soups so like cream of chicken and such. I also had some more meal supplement today, it wasn't so bad to get down. I woke up in the morning in a lot of pain in my ears, I didn't take any of my morphine I just sat head up for a little while and eventually it went away. The only morphine I had today was 5mg before I ate mac n cheese but it didn't help, I still had a really bad ear ache. If you have any other food recommendations I'd be happy to try them as long as they sound appetizing. A lot of people say that they have had bread soaked in gravy. It sound appetizing, but I'd imagine that the gravy would sting a little bit. I've had a glass of room temperature water and a glass of ice cold gatorade. It's been a pretty rough 5 days, but I feel like the ear aches are the worst. If I start to eat the rest of the days then I shouldn't have to spit out the scabs, I should be able to swallow them without knowing.

Also, I noticed your username is choirgirl.. I am also on choir in school as well as vocals
And I absolutely love it !

Old 07-16-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
(female)

choirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB User

I'm glad you were finally able to eat something.

I never had any ear pain. I attribute it to chewing gum almost every waking hour and sleeping in a recliner. I didn't lie down for about a week and a half.

Singing is so much fun, isn't it?! I love it, too. No school choir for me anymore, though. I'm 59 and I don't think they'd let me sing with them. So I sing alto in our little church choir, occasionally sing a solo, and just sing for myself for the pure joy of it.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
(female)

krich HB User

Yeah, I'm actually excited to try some mashed potatoes. My friend gets off work at 11, so maybe she can make me some ! Also, yeah I've been sleeping in my dads lazyboy for the past five days. It's pretty comfortable I have to admit ! I'm kinda put down at the moment, though because it's my sisters birthday and my mom and her and my aunt went shopping and now they're getting ready to go out dancing, and I am stuck on this chair all night long doing absolutely nothing. I have been playing a lot of sims3 on my ps3 though which isn't too bad, but i'd rather be out having fun in the sun. I went into this surgery weighing 127 pounds and I now weigh 119. Its quite depressing actually. I just can't wait to be healed and be able to eat my moms noodle casserole or my dads stew, or a steak and cheese footlong from subway ! or even a big juicy greasy cheeseburger from mcdonalds.

Yeah I am going into grade 12 this September, and I have vocals as a class and choir is mandatory. Our last choir performance was on June 27th and we sang O'canada at club italia for our schools Graduation '11. It wasn't so bad but it was over in about 10 minutes. I was planning on taking singing lessons this summer, but had to change my plans because of this surgery. I ended up blowing my money on a new laptop last night instead. I worked for 2 weeks straight, no days off and made 676$. I got paid yesterday and only have 47 dollars left :P

Anyways, all I can say is I cannot wait to be healed and better and ready to get back to summer and to my job & to the beach !!

Old 06-21-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Apache Kristy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by krich View Post
So I had my tonsils out last Tuesday, and I am really hungry.
What should I do. My mom bought me a meal supplement, but it's chocolate, and I can't taste anything which is alright with me, but its too thick to go down. Also, yogurt is really thick as well which makes me kind of hesitant to try some icecream. I had a few small bites of oatmeal a few minutes ago, but pretty much ended up choking on it so I decided to stop eating it. I can eat milk based products just as long as I have a glass of water to chase it down. I see a lot of posts where people have eaten scrambled eggs, I am just wondering if that would be alright to eat or if maybe I should just suck it up and wait a week, and deal with my hunger.. Please help me out
im 20 and on day 10 recovery and i know how you feel! lol but trust me, it gets better. try some really smooth mashed potatoes, works well. and mac & cheese. also try and get down some broth from soup, but careful with the noodles, sometimes they get stuck. basically try really soft stuff as u go along, the sooner and more solid food u eat, the better ull feel

Closed Thread