It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
(female)

a1234567 HB User
Ear Feels Clogged/Won't Pop

For the past few months my left ear has felt clogged and all day (I've made quite the habit of this), I swallow and do this thing where I try to unclog it (you would never know I was doing it if you were looking at me).. drives me crazy!

Went to an ENT and he said it wasn't popping. Put me on a nasal spray and a nasal steroid for one month. Just went back and he said the pressure seemed better in it (feels the same to me though unfortunately--still won't unclog). I went for a Cat Scan today because he said he saw a possible Thornwaldt Cyst on the Nasal Pharynx. Not sure if these are related at all or anything.. Waiting to hear on those results. In the meantime, he said two more months of the sprays. Should I seek a second opinion? Anything concerning my eyes or ears freaks me out/worries me.

Anyone have any ideas what I should do? It's not wax.. it is some type of inner/middle ear congestion I guess. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:28 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Ear Feels Clogged/Won't Pop

I had a "stuffy" ear for over a year. It wouldn't pop no matter what I tried. My ENT and Audiologists couldn't find anything wrong. Eventually my ENT even offered to put tubes in my ear. I declined that though because I knew there was something else going on.

I do have severe allergies, but had been on 4 allergy meds and shots at the time so that didn't seem to be the problem.

Turns out I have TMJD. My lower jaw was displaced back towards the ear a bit because my TMJ disc had slipped. My only real symptom was the stuffy ear and eventually some ear pain after a couple months.

If you don't get results from your other strategies or tests, it might be worth looking into.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2011, 04:13 PM   #3
(female)

meganash HB User
Re: Ear Feels Clogged/Won't Pop

I went through the sprays and I do have allergies and TMJ, so not sure if both or just one was causing my clogged ear. The ENT suggested tubes and I went for it, no regrets, I felt better and no pressure. It was about 2 weeks from insertion to getting use to it, but the night of insertion my head pressure was gone, no more fuzzy brain.

Of course now I got water in my tubes and my damn ear is clogged again, but hopefully the water comes out or the ENT helps me tomorrow.

Closed Thread