It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2011, 10:47 PM   #1
(female)

booskey24 HB User
swollen tongue after tonsillectomy and sinus surgery

Makayla says:

August 2, 2011 at 11:46 pm

I am a healthy 24 yr. old female I had a tonsillectomy and sinus surgery 7/28/11. After reading a few forums I consider myself very lucky. I had previously suffered from severe headaches/migraines on almost a daily basis. I also suffered from a series of throat infections. I stayed sick and in pain on a daily basis. To say I was excited to have my surgeries would Tan understatement. No more trips to the doc.,antibiotics,HEADACHES and feeling run down all the time. I arrived at 6:00 am and was back home by 10:00 the same day, this was the worst!! Both of my nostrils were packed making breathing out of my nose impossible. I was extremely worried upon arriving home I would end up in the ER due to dehydration. I tried and tried and hardly got any food/liquid down the first day. Day 2 I had my packs removed and on the way to my ENT (10 min. drive) I finished an entire slimfast and no problems eating or drinking after that until today, day 6. Donít get me wrong, My throat has been hurt since day 1 but I have been better than most. Today I have been experiencing extreme throat pain and my tongue is extremely sore and extremely swollen. Does anyone have any advise for me??

Old 08-03-2011, 01:06 AM   #2
(female)

luvmy2girls HB User
Re: swollen tongue after tonsillectomy and sinus surgery

Well first off I want u to know that I understand how much pain you are in.. Now I didn't personally have tonsillectomy however we have had 3 done in our family (in this house this year). My husband and both of my daughters all within 3 months.. They were all troopers! My husband however was the biggest baby of all! NOT even joking. But back to you! Your throat and tongue is going to be sore and swollen! Have you been taking your pain killers and eating Popsicles!!! POPSICLES are you best friend for at least 10-14 days following a tonsillectomy. The reason your tongue is swollen is because of all the "tools" they had in your mouth to remove the tonsils. There isn't a whole lot of room in there and they drag and scrap and rub on your tongue and it gets irritated. If u are taking your painkillers (which have anti inflammatory in them) and are eating popsicles or something cold and are able to swallow I think everything is "normal" as far as tonsillectomy goes. But if not I would call the doctor on call and just see what they say.. But, from my experience it just comes with the territory.

Best wishes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread