It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2011, 01:08 PM   #1
(male)

owsley HB User
smelly tonsils, tonsil stones, & BB

My Story

I had been told a few times over the past couple years that my breath smelled. I never though anything of it and besides, I had a gf and she never said anything about it. Recently I began to taste and smell my breath and started to get a bit worried. My dental hygiene had always been average so I started to improve it. I began to get obsessive with my breath and felt like it was getting worse. I have been using H202 daily etc. My confidence began to lessen and I have had trouble looking at or facing people when I talk to them. Nothing I tryed worked (gum, brushing, listerine, water, etc). Finally I started researching and surfing the web looking at causes, symptoms, conditions etc. of BB. While researching, I finally thought about those little white lumps I would spit out a couple times a year ever since I was a child. Ever since I found out about tonsil stones a few days ago I feel like my life has taken a turn for the worse. Suddenly I have become part of a small population of people with an incurable oral ailment. To be honest, it seems like no one has actually been able to prevent or lessen it either. The only solution looks like surgery.

MY CASE

My tonsil stones have always been small. When I look at my tonsils I don't see any sticking out either. I have prodded, poked, pressed, smashed, etc. and only a 3 tiny stones have come out. I can feel a lump in the back of my throat but can't seem to reach it. I really think that the stones are located on the back side of my tonsils and are very deeply ingrained. Today I poked and prodded with my fingers and q-tips and nothing came out. Then I rinsed over and over with salt water and H202 and spit out two more!!! When I touch my tonsils with my finger it is still slimy and very STINKY. For some reason I know that I will never be able to pick them all out by hand and the smell will always linger

I have never had tonsillitis or many sore throat problems. Most of the posts I've read seem to be from people who have bad tonsilitis and huge crypts. I think I may have a minor case but it is still bad enough to cause me a big problem.

Does anyone else have a similar experience?

I am praying a lot about it because it is really effecting my self esteem. I'm really afraid its going to get in the way of my career and relationships. I'm getting really down and embarressed about it.

What to do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: smelly tonsils, tonsil stones, & BB

Unfortunately, the only way to be free of all that nastiness is to have a tonsilectomy. I had similar issues -- my parents would mention my breath and I'd gargle, brush my teeth, chew gum constantly.

Finally during my mid-30s I went to an ENT and he scheduled a tonsilectomy. I soooo wish I'd done it sooner. Sure it's major surgery and it took a couple weeks before I felt 100%, but I am so happy I did it.

Oh and when the doctor removed my tonsils -- he indicated that one side was FULL of tonsil curds -- the size of a golf ball and that no amount of antibiotic, gargling, etc. would've ever taken care of it the infection was so deep.

Last edited by Ratatosk; 08-11-2011 at 12:36 PM.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I concur. Have them out and the problem will go away....

Old 10-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
(female)

Mickey Neill HB User

I use a quip with hydrogen peroxide on it. The peroxide often fizzes and the stones or liquid comes out and my breath is better

Closed Thread