It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2011, 11:10 PM   #1
(female)

ArcaneEpiphany HB User
Unhappy chronic cough and post nasal drip after case of strep throat. ! help please.!

i haven't posted sooner regarding this issue because i've been scourging around for answers with no luck at all, just "maybe's" and "possibly, but probably not's" from doctors who either blame it on anxiety or just don't take it seriously at all. strep throat, possibly the biggest thing to ruin my year, twice this year. after my first bout of it, which lasted one long horrible month, i became a clean freak and tried so hard not to be around sick folk and ultimately avoid. but its hard to do so when you'v been exposed to it once, i've learned. this occured in december and after being on two rounds of antibiotics, it finnaly went away....but made another return at the end of may and this time it seemed to come back with a bang. i had a 100.3 degree fever, aches and pain like i've never felt before, and my throat was so raw, and to think i was in denial at first, i thought that perhaps i simply got a "virus", but in the back of my mind i knew it was my dear old strep friend. so after getting a diagnosis by a doctor i was put on clindamycin (the same antibiotic as before) for seven days. the fever broke within 72 hours. and i returned back to my normal self after about ten days.

flash forward a week and a half later my throat starts hurting and i begin to feel a "tickle" down the left side of my throat. i kept drinking so much water, hoping to eventually flush whatever that was there down my esophagus and move on, but i couldn't. initially i thought it was just an allergy to something in my room, maybe i swallowed some dust. it was constant, everyday for a week and suddenly my left lung began to hurt and whenever i laughed i felt a "crackling" down there. another week later, i felt more congested in that particular lung and my left nostril inside looked swollen and bright red. by the time i got in to see my doctor the sore throat had completley vanished. she assumed it was a bug, because i wasn't coughing up anything alarming (yellow,brown, blood,black) and was given a five day course of antibiotics, which i finished but did not help at all. i recall the only thing that helped with the cough was delsum cough suppresant and "hawking" it up.

during this past july, everything seemed to go from bad to worse. i started having a globus sensation in the back of my throat, constant and i mean CONSTANT post nasal drip ( on that one left side, the right side was and still is COMPLETLEY normal), sore throats that would pop up out of the clear blue sky and just randomly go away without treatment, and trouble breathing on that one particular side while laying down or trying to get to sleep. coughdrops were seriously my bestfriend and dairy was pretty much my enemy. i became obsessed with finding out why this was happenening since i don't have allergies or sinus problems. i even had my wisdom teeth taken out that month because i thought they were pressing on my sinuses and were fully grown in. well, it wasn't the reason i don't think and its mid august now and i'm still suffering and confused. since the beginning of this month i've had a few more new symptoms that sprung up: a burning sensation inside my left nostril, blocked nostrils ( i can't breathe anymore in the early hours of the morning!) chronic stuffed nose and no matter how hard i blow into a tissue, absolutley nothing will come out. the post nasal drip just slides down like a river now and my left lung always feels "full". around the first weel of this month i saw two doctors : my primary and my ENT. i wasn't surprised that my primary just threw antibiotics at me AGAIN, after i told her they didn't work before. i had a rapid strep test done which was negative. (i'm baffled that it wasn't strep induced bronchitis) she did however arrange and chest x-ray for me. i still haven't got a call from the radiologist or my doctors office with the results and i'm paranoid now. my ENT just offered to take my tonsils out, but i declined since my tonsils weren't giving me issues, they weren't "kissing" and they were huge and always covered with white stuff....but i do have tonsil stones on a daily basis now (ugh). i'm just about at my wits end, nobody seem's to know whats going on.!

Last edited by ArcaneEpiphany; 08-21-2011 at 11:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2011, 05:17 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: chronic cough and post nasal drip after case of strep throat. ! help please.!

The tonsils are most likely your main problem. You need to have them out...they are chronically infected and you'll never clear them.

After that,. if you are still having the sinus issues and have had allergy testing with none showing, then you most likely have nonallergic sinusitis. A saline spray or rinse or possible something like Astelin might help.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #3
(female)

ArcaneEpiphany HB User
Lightbulb Re: chronic cough and post nasal drip after case of strep throat. ! help please.!

A small update:

I got a call back finnaly from my doctor with the results of my chest x-ray and was told it was negative.

Closed Thread