It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
(male)

NoniPoo HB User
Post Tonsillectomy - Bleeding & Recauterized

Hi All,

I'm a 29 year old male (turning 30 in about 2 weeks actually) from Melbourne, Australia and have had some great insight into the Tonsillectomy surgery through this site thanks to all the members who post their experiences.

I thought this would be a great outlet to express myself and hopefully help others along the way with similar issues as I have faced.

I had my Tonsillectomy on the 6/09/2011. I was told my tonsils were extremely nasty and massive and was going through the recovery process when on day 6-7 I started to bleed a little but the ice packs stopped the bleeding pretty quickly. I kept a bowl next to me to keep spitting phlegm to ensure there was no more bleeding if ever i felt something funny. Day 8-9 I spitted out a clot with a bigger bleed which stopped after about 5-10 minutes of gargles. The surgeon told me at both times this is normal and I shouldn't stress too much about it. However I pushed to see him the next day and got n appointment and since the bleed started right before my appointment again the next afternoon I convinced the surgeon to re-cauterize the left side where the bleeding had been on my visit under Local Anesthetic.

I felt a bit relaxed since the bleeding was kind of stressing me out a little. However same day that he re-cauterized me I had another bleed this time a lot deeper in my throat and I knew it was a different area to the first so I called the surgeon back and pushed him to fix that area too. He tried under local anesthetic but the wound was too deep and on his attempting I was gagging, so had to go back to Hospital under General Anesthetic recauterizing the second wound and spend 2 days there after in hospital this time.

I have lost 5 kg's in weight over the last 9 days and been quite weak since I cannot even decide what i should eat. Through this time I have been drinking probably anywhere between 2-3 litres of water a day. Diet wise after day 2 I really struggled eating due to the pain but at day 9 & 10 post my cauterizations I felt i could eat a bit better taking in bread and porridge etc. Apple juice etc seems to hurt me for some reason so I am not taking this anymore. My wife has been making me soups which I was ok with day 1 and 2 but since struggle to have them coz they sting as well. Jelly has been going down well and these days bread butter and milk with Nutragrain is easy to take in too.

I'm looking to understand from others if anyone knows how long before I might be back to normal? Do the re-cauterizations take their own time or since it is only an area it tends to heal quicker? When can i expect relief?

Other questions which would be great if anyone has any insight to:
1) What other food can i eat which will keep me healthy and upbeat?
2) With the Phelm developing in my moth should i be clearing my throat or leaving it there?
3) When i wake up and haven't been drinking water for a few hours I have a lot of pain so i have to deal with this 2-3 times at night and in the morning any suggestions?
4) How are you people coping speech wise, I don't talk much since I feel it will hurt me later and definitely when I do its not in my normal tone its a half-arsed attempt to talk really. Should I trt talking up normally?
5) Most importantly I'm looking to hear any encouraging stories so that I can feel a bit better about this whole thing.

Generally I'm a pretty positive person but must say it has downed my spirits now that I'm already at day 11-12 with still a fair bit of pain. I have been quite emotional and I can see that I'm affecting my wife as well which makes me very sad so looking to talk to other people going through this and not put too much pressure of the close relos.

If anyone has any questions or if there is anyway I can help please shout out so that atleast I can help in anyway shape or form.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2011, 07:25 AM   #2
(female)

choirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB User
Re: Tonsillectomy - Bleeding & Recauterized

Hi, NoniPoo.

I didn't have any bleeding, so I can't comment on that subject.

I almost lived on mashed potatoes. They were so easy for me to swallow. I used instant mashed potatoes because they are so fast and easy to fix. I also bought some baby food to eat with the mashed potatoes sometimes. On days when it was more painful to swallow, I thinned the potatoes with milk or water. I also discovered that mashed potatoes and applesauce taste good together.

I started talking right away. I sounded kind of funny right after surgery, but that didn't last long. Talking never made my throat hurt and I did a lot of it.

If you feel you must clear your throat, do it very, very gently. But, I think I'd be afraid to try that if I'd had bleeding.

For the dry throat, just keep sipping water or chew gum. I chewed lots of sugarfree gum.

The Following User Says Thank You to choirgirl For This Useful Post:
NoniPoo (09-17-2011)
Closed Thread