It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
(female)

ladylou428 HB User
Coxsackie or Tonsil Stones + Canker Sore?

First of all, I get tonsil stones regularly and use a q-tip to get them out. They are normally buried somewhat "behind" my tonsils, as in I have to pull back the flap of skin on my inner cheek to get to them. This has caused me to get canker sores before, but they usually go away in a day or two.

Last Monday night, I did my nightly check-for-tonsil-stones procedure. My inner cheek felt a little sore afterwards, so it was no surprise that I woke up on Tuesday with a canker sore. I looked in my mouth and was surprised to see my tonsils had pretty much exploded with white spots! I went to the student health clinic and they did a throat culture. It took them two days to get the results back, and on Thursday they notified me that the results were negative. Because the white spots and canker sore were still there, I decided to go back in on Friday. The doctor saw me again, and this time said that I had Coxsackie and that I was highly contagious. She put me on a regimen of 3 ibuprofen every three hours and gargling peroxyl mouthwash four times a day. I am also putting anbesol on the canker sore to minimize pain.

Today, I am going about my routine of gargling and then putting on the anbesol, when I notice that one of the white spots on my tonsil seems to be loose. I take a q-tip and proceed to remove ALL of the white spots that were on my tonsils! The only thing I can think of is that these white spots must have been little tonsil stones all along! My guess is that I have or had some kind of virus, which caused my tonsils to become inflamed, which then caused all of the tiny tonsil stones I never see to come out onto the surface of my tonsils.

So the question for you all is this: was this just a case of tonsil stones and a canker sore or is it Coxsackie? Mainly, I want to know if I am contagious.

Thanks for listening to this crazy story!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread