It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
(male)

myoclonusguy HB User
Myoclonus In Ear

Hello, i have had myoclonus spasms or thumps in my ear going on to 2 years now. I had the surgery to sever the tensor tympani and stapedius muscles but it is still thumping. I do not know what to do and am getting very anxious thinking this will never go away. Has anyone ever experienced this or can give me advice? The only thing i could think of is that the muscles reattached to the bone (has been described as a possibility) while healing from the surgery. I wanted to ask if anyone knows if an imaging test like mri, or ct can see the muscles in the ear (tensor tympani and stapedius) to see if they have reattached?? please help i am losing my mind!

Last edited by myoclonusguy; 09-24-2011 at 03:17 PM.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
(female)

jenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB User
Re: Myoclonus In Ear

I have experienced middle ear myoclonus. Please don't despair...it really can go away as quickly as it came. I believe mine is the result of a series of ear infections I have had in the past 5-6 years. Either that, or a trip I took where I used an ear bud and listened to This American Life podcasts for like 9 hours straight at a loud volume.

Somehow SOMETHING I did aggravated the muscles in my right ear, the ear that has had the most infections. I had myoclonus jerks and thumps that were noise-triggered (voices, usually female or heard over radio). They lasted from about Sept 2010 until about March of this year. Not every day, not all day, but enough to send me to the ENT. She prescribed a low dose muscle relaxant to take as needed. It did seem to calm them down. Eventually the thumping from people's voices went away, but I still can trigger it from time to time if I listen to talk radio/NPR at too loud a volume. Needless to say, I try to avoid this.

It is weird that yours returned after surgery...did it come back right away? Is there any chance you might have palatal myoclonus as well? Surgery would not have worked for that. I have read that people can get Botox injections to calm down palatal myoclonus.

There's also a condition called Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome you might look into. It's somehow related to anxiety/stress, and meds (diazapam) can be used to calm it down. TTTS can cause a host of weird ear symptoms and sensations, including fluttering and clicking feelings.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2011, 09:23 PM   #3
(male)

myoclonusguy HB User
Re: Myoclonus In Ear

Thanks for the reply. Well if the muscles indeed have been cut and they did not form back together it must be my etube that is in spasm. The weird thing is up until recently the only thing that really triggers it is waking up in the morning. You know how when you wake up and you kinda stretch involuntarily? That is when it starts to spasm. I dont know if its the stretching or whether or not i wake up with the twitch or the twitch does the waking? I find myself afraid to make a wrong movement when waking up lol and this really sucks. Its weird because when i am fully awake during the day i stretch and there is NO spasm. So its only the act of waking up that causes it.

Closed Thread