It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #16
(male)

morganplus8 HB User
Re: Help! Ear Pressure Feels Worse After PE Grommet Tube Surgery?

Let's hope you make a speedy recovery! Glad to hear you had some patch work done as well, should return your tympanic membrane back to normal soon.

I had my surgery on the 22th of October too, painful and nasty stuff. I had the left ear done, (tympanoplasty) and everything went well so far. The right ear will be done in the months ahead. I stand by my conclusion that no one should be getting both tubes in at the same time without testing one for acceptance first. GL

Old 11-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #17
(female)

tulisa HB User

Well, just to say. My hearing came back to normal after 2 weeks of the grommet removal and have had no problems

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2013, 05:54 AM   #18
(female)

bigkazza HB User

Tulisa,

All I can say is thanks for your help, you have given me hope.

I recently had grommets fitted for ear pressure problems and a dysfunctional Eustachian tube and its the worst decicision ive ever made!

Like you I was told I'd be singing and dancing after a couple of days, but nope! I am a lot worse than before, including whooshing, throbbing, pulsating and vibrating noises in my ears that keeps me awake at night now and I feel like ive got my head stuck in a tin can, everything sounds strange including my voice, even car doors shutting and engines and like you the pressure feels worse now. I feel stick to my stomach! I cant sleep or eat, this is driving me up the wall. I'm sure there are lots of adults out there that swear by grommets, but they werent for me and people should be warned! I've found lots of other comments on the web like ours, so were not alone.

I've got an appointment with my ENT Consultant in two days and he's aware of my situation and that I want them removing, but he said most people are normally fine with them. He is a lovely chap and has been very understanding, but I wouldnt of had the op done, even if I knew there was a 5 - 10% chance of this happening.

I'm so pleased your ears are now back to normal and hopefully mine will be too soon, I'd rather be back to getting sinus headaches every day and sometimes having mild buzzing in my ears, than all these new noises and not being able to sleep on a night at all, nightmare!

The best thing is, I paid private for my op to jump the NHS waiting list!

Thanks again

Karen :-)

Old 02-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #19
(female)

tulisa HB User

Hey Karen, Hope you manage to get it sorted. was the best decision for me . Let me know how you get on

Last edited by tulisa; 02-18-2013 at 10:26 AM.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #20
(male)

ajit9n HB User

This exact thing happened to me, Since most people disappear from posts I decided that I must post what happened to me for people to understand better.
I had the flu and I had fluid in my ears the doc gave me antibiotics so the fluid cleared but the Eustachian was still swollen. The pressure was so bad I went to the ER they gave me Prednisone which started to help, but I followed up with an Ear doc. The idea there was I have ETD so Tubes can only help so lets try it. The second he cut it open I felt like I went deaf, the pressure did not release and my voice echoed like crazy in my head. Now being on Prednisone made me have a panic attack as well so it was not a good situation. The next day I went back to the doc and insisted on it being removed. He refused! He said it was still raw and should have time to heal, he also said give it time. So we waited a week. I talked very little since it bothered me, the crazy stuffed up feeling reduced but did not go away. My tinnitus got really bad. Finally 1 week came and I went back. The doc agreed to pull out the tube, the next thing he did was put a patch on top of the hole to promote healing. The second that patch went on, the ECHOING STOPPED IMMEDIATELY!!! there was a little stuffy feeling but it was minimal. Taking anvil over the past 2 days has reduced that stuffy feeling down to almost nothing!!! but I'll tell you what no muffled sounds, my voice resounding low frequencies gone is so much easier to live with, now this last part will go away!!! DONT GET PE TUBES UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY NEED THEM!!!! IT IS A LAST RESORT. Set expectations that this could happen. HOPE THIS HAS HELPED SOMEONE SOMEWHERE!

Old 03-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #21
(female)

JRans HB User
Unhappy Re: Help! Ear Pressure Feels Worse After PE Grommet Tube Surgery?

This is what happened to me! I had a tube put in 8 days ago. As soon as it went in I could not hear voices but i could hear rumbling of cars and other low frequency sounds. I had a hearing test done 4 days after. It showed some decrease in hearing but not significant. My ENT was not concerned I was still in the normal range. This is not how I feel. I am getting it removed on Thursday. My ENT has given me the option of getting a patch put on. I think I will do it. I will let you all know what the results are after its removal.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:00 PM   #22
(male)

ajit9n HB User

So I did get it removed and in 5 secs of the patch on the hole my hearing was back to 95%.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:19 AM   #23
(female)

JRans HB User

I had my tube out today. Once it was out and the patch was on the pressure was gone. The hearing is still a little bit effected from the hole in the eardrum. Things don't sound weird anymore and it's only been 10 hours. I am so glad I had it removed.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:54 AM   #24
(female)

amszephyr HB User

I had bilateral tubes put in back in late September 2012 for chronic (3+ years) ETD that became unbearable. I, too, suffered all manner of odd after effects in terms of blocking/pressure/muffled/low sounds for weeks and on top of that I suffered from a chronic infection in one side that only cleared up after 3 months of treatment and numerous round of antibiotics, antibiotic drops, suctioning out my ears at the ENT department, etc. All great fun!

However, when I spoke to my GP about the possibility of having them removed, she urged patience and said that if the eardrum healed back over so soon, I'd be back to square one re. all the symptoms of ETD.

Since I have immense faith in and respect my doctor's judgement, I heeded her advice and, while I have since endured a nasty infection in the other ear (yet more antibiotics/drops/suctioning at the hospital) I am happy with my decision since now I am effectively symptom free (bar the odd click in one ear - but compared to the pain/pressure, etc. of pre-tube life, it is nothing). Of course, it'll be interesting, when the tubes do drop out naturally, to see whether my eustachian tubes have been aerated for long enough to ease the ETD permanently: my GP tells me I may be a candidate for larger bore, long-term tubes if problems return.

Having read of others who felt they couldn't endure the post-op odd effects and quite rapidly opted for removal, I thought I'd offer an alternative viewpoint to the problem of post-op issues. Being patient, enduring the odd and disconcerting side effects and allowing the body to adapt to the new tubes can take quit a considerable amount of time - but in the end, for me, it means the tube surgery has achieved its desired aim.

Closed Thread