It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
(male)

john1010 HB User
Question tonsilectomy and adenoids

had my operation yesterday sent home same day after being given 20mg of morphine slept most of day then drank and ate a sandwich which allowed me to be discharged,,,,given co codamol clarythmcin antibiotics mouth wash and ibroprofen when taken pain about 4 when eases pain about 7/8 am eating solid foods banana chips lasagna ribs rice forcing it down as said will help recovery but my main concern is drinking was fine but now hard to swallow and coming out my nose has anyone else experianced this also backof my throat so yellow and brown and vulva looks like a tonsil itself which makes me gag!!!! throat feels dry and sore but eating more than drinking coz this nose problem.... its only day2 and concerned im in for rough ride......

Old 10-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
(male)

VikisFeet HB User
Re: tonsilectomy and adenoids

Had mine on the 6th. I was given Vicodin, Ibuprophen can increase risk of bleeding. My jaws/gums/neck became increasingly sore as the days went on. I had difficulty opening my mouth and sticking out my tongue---I'd say stick to softer foods. The mornings are a bit more rough than afternoons I am finding. If you aren't getting enouth pain relief maybe you could ask for Vicodin 5/500...? A bag of froden peas wrapped in a towel was nice on the neck too! Also I am having increasing ear pain-which i am reading is normal. The crud in the back of the throat will scab and come off---its gross! I ate some softer potatoes today and feel like some of those "scabs" are getting thinner---
I am thankful for no vomiting and I guess it could be worse!
Hang in there!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to VikisFeet:
john1010 (12-07-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2011, 12:10 AM   #3
(male)

john1010 HB User
Smile Re: tonsilectomy and adenoids

Hi thanks for your interesting reply but I took a turn for the worse Wednesday severe bleeding 2days after got rushed in hospital and had another op on wed/ thurs 1am to stop the bleeding been very sore and tender since on intervene antibiotics steroids through my arm and hydro peroxide mouth wash still in hospital now eating and drinking ok but still sore can't believe what ag from just tonsils hope to be going home tomor been another 4days hospital hope yours go well keep resting and taking care

Old 12-06-2011, 04:48 PM   #4
(male)

VikisFeet HB User
Re: tonsilectomy and adenoids

I don't visit this site often so I didn't see your reply. Sheesh! By now you are, hopefully, feeling great and back in a normal existance! You said initially you had Ibuprophen post op---what the heck!? bleeding risk! hello!

I am healing up nicely, my only complaint is now the "arches" in the back of my throat (on either side of my uvula) have filled in-like, they're not really arches anymore, and i feel like i am choking half the time..seeing the ENT again tomorrow. Makes me talk weird and i am having coughing fits.
I'm sure he'll tell me I'm crazy like everyone else---but it's not right.

No, wait, my other complaint is I didn't lose any weight. :-(

Sorry your experience was miserable! Hope you are all better now!

The following user gives a hug of support to VikisFeet:
john1010 (12-07-2011)
Old 12-07-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
(male)

john1010 HB User
Wink Re: tonsilectomy and adenoids

Hi hope u r fine now I am feeling much better going back for check up on Friday have still got scarring at back of throat and sometimes feels uncomfortable but much better than was would never recommend the procedure after what happened to me. But heh all better now but wait to see what doc says hope ur doing well and thanks for ur reply

Old 12-08-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
(male)

VikisFeet HB User
Thumbs up Re: tonsilectomy and adenoids

Glad to hear you're past the worst parts anyway!
My surgeon said the issue in the back of my throat now is that the healing areas are scarring--which is normal and they're kind of tight. Over time the tissue will relax and become more supple. Hopefully this is similar to what you're feeling. I told him my professional singing career was in jeopardy! He said it could be a few months and often tells his professional singers up to a year! UGH! I guess I'll have to cancel my plans for door to door caroling! Ha!
This too shall pass--as they say!

I'd have to say my experience was much more positive---and i would recommend this procedure, but I completely understand your point! Maybe a different surgeon or researching how the procedure is done there (I see you're in UK)-the technique used with me was "intracapsular" performed with a "Coblator"-and definitely need to have post-op pain medications which DO NOT include NSAIDS!

More than anything I am very hopeful for a full recovery and the end to the crazy horrible episodes of tonsillitis. I have been miserable. This was worth it for me--if it means I get to avoid all of the illness!

Continued best wishes for a full recovery!

Closed Thread