It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
(male)

alan1001 HB User
Chronic motion sickness - diagnosis challenge!!

Hi all,
I have been suffering from what I can best describe as a mild motion sickness or vague nausea for approx 4 years now, and has been difficult to get to the bottom of. This feeling is TOTALLY constant in frequency, but fluctuates in intensity. At its best, I can function normally. At its worst, I can’t think, have trouble acting normally, and have to go home from work. Full ears and tinnitus (bilateral) present. Very tight muscles in back and neck, mostly on left side in particular SCM.
Have had substantial input including: 3 GP opinions, bloods etc (clear), CT brain (clear) ENT consultation with subsequent MRI brain (clear), strong dose of SERC (no effect) and ENG (flagged up some odd eye movements). The ENT concluded no peripheral issues, but the ENG testing was consistent with a central disorder. Recent consultation with Michael Halmagyi and Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney – audio (third time, clear), ENG (clear). Hence, no issues with central vestibular system.
So, it appears my problem is not directly linked with my ears. This leads me to consider my neck, and I was wondering if anyone reading this recognises any of the finer detail. I know the muscles of my neck and back are very tight, and that my c1 c2 are very misaligned. The ONLY treatment that makes me feel better is massage/active release/chiro adjustment/accupucture around my head, neck and back. This greatly relieves my symptoms but only for a day or 2. Then I tighten right back up and feel sick as ever. Even a wheat bag round my neck, a sauna or excercise has the same effect in that symptoms are temporarily relieved somewhat. I have tried to change my life through postural adjustments at work (fit ball/ergonomics) and home (stretching/yoga), to no avail.
Now, it has been suggested that my issue is related to fluid build up around my jaw and ear area. Under my left ear, there is a meaty, spongy area which has been present since I fell ill. It is certainly associated with liquid and is “squidgy”. Along my bottom left gum line, I also have a long, sluglike pocket which is full of fluid. Inter orally, I have lumpy tissue which I assume is associated with congestion.

Is this ringing any bells with anyone? Apologies for the long post, but I have been concise as I can. I’m sure there’s an answer to this as I can affect the disorder temporarily, just need to figure out what is driving the tightness. Any thoughts/suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Many thanks,

Alan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2012, 12:29 AM   #2
(female)

Brooke2DD HB User
Re: Chronic motion sickness - diagnosis challenge!!

Hi Alan,

Are you still on the forum? Any improvements or answers? I'm in a similar boat.
Brooke.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #3
(male)

boedy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke2DD View Post
Hi Alan,

Are you still on the forum? Any improvements or answers? I'm in a similar boat.
Brooke.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #4
(male)

boedy HB User

I have very similar syptoms going on for 4 months. Been to 2 ENTs, Neurologist, Endochronologist, and in process with Gastro. Can't find anything wrong.

I have found a medicine that helps my symptoms - Scopolamine Patch 1.5mg. Each patch is good for 3 days, day 1 is rough but days 2 & 3 are tolerable.

Reply Reply

Tags
back, dizziness, ears, motion sickness, neck