It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
(male)

JP1983 HB User
blocked/clogged ears

i recently have been suffering from clogged ears for over a week now it all started with a sore through wich to the piont i could not talk or swallow and eat that cleared up and formed into a cold wich sarted out pretty bad to were i could not breath through my chest and nose i have had some running of the nose and been stuff up a bit i started to take some over the counter stuff it is the new tynol compleat it has seemed to helped with my congestion as of right now i can breath but still get the sniffles but now i blow i get clear stuff coming out or nothing at all so i am not shure if i still have a cold or not but my ears are still plugged/clogged i have been to the doctor he told me if the cold is viral their is not much they can do in the way of treatment but if it is bactiral they can treat it with a anitboixtic he gave me a presciption to azithromycon for a five day does with no luck so i think this might be viral or i need i stronger dose he also checked my ears he said their was not much redness on the drum i also aske him if their was any wax or an other stuff water ect.. in them he said he could not see anything in them i also went to the walkin clinic they said the same thing as my doctor about the redness i guess this means not much imflemation showing on the drum i have had the plugged ear sice after the soar throught i am just wondering how long more this can last for i have no ear pain or pressure just a clogged ear i can hear a bit at time but last night and today my left ear is blocked more then my right but my hearing in the right is a bit muffled aswell i have had this before with a cold or flue but it usally goes away but this has been goung on for 10 or 11 days now after my sore throat anybody know what may be going on.John

Last edited by JP1983; 12-12-2011 at 12:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2011, 12:43 PM   #2
(male)

JP1983 HB User
Re: blocked/clogged ears

also when should i see a ENT if this does not clear up? also does my doctor need to refer me to one first or can i go ahead see one without his ok? also can allerges develop from a clold or after one?.John

Last edited by JP1983; 12-12-2011 at 12:51 PM.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
(female)

jenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB User

Hi John, it sounds like eustachian tube dysfunction, to me. The problem lies with some blockage or inflammation either behind the eardrum in the middle ear space or in the eustachian tube that connects the middle ear to the back of the throat.

You can try 12 hr sudafed (the behind-the-counter version) plus mucinex to see if it calms down the swelling and thins any mucus. I found that very helpful in the early days of my ongoing problem.

If you search the board, there is a group of us that have written extensively about our experiences with ETD. As far as I know, it can last a day, a week, or in my case, nearly one year. Basically it will last as long as the underlying cause is not found and treated. It's believed to be allergies, for me, although mine did begin with a cold and an airline flight I took on Dec 18 2010 while still congested.

Last edited by jenni9033; 12-13-2011 at 09:52 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to jenni9033:
JP1983 (12-13-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to jenni9033 For This Useful Post:
JP1983 (12-13-2011)
Old 12-13-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
(male)

JP1983 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifleck View Post
Hi John, it sounds like eustachian tube dysfunction, to me. The problem lies with some blockage or inflammation either behind the eardrum in the middle ear space or in the eustachian tube that connects the middle ear to the back of the throat.

You can try 12 hr sudafed (the behind-the-counter version) plus mucinex to see if it calms down the swelling and thins any mucus. I found that very helpful in the early days of my ongoing problem.

If you search the board, there is a group of us that have written extensively about our experiences with ETD. As far as I know, it can last a day, a week, or in my case, nearly one year. Basically it will last as long as the underlying cause is not found and treated. It's believed to be allergies, for me, although mine did begin with a cold and an airline flight I took on Dec 18 2010 while still congested.

Hi jenn thank You for your help i am hoping it is not ETD tryed some decongestant wich i think is basically sudafed it is called eltor 120 i am not really too shure if it helped as i now can hear some background noise cars driving by ect.. but still their is still a muffled effect in my ear iam going to go out and get some mucinex i am sceduled to to go back to the doctor this thurday as i could not get in soon after may last visit last week being so busy i have had this before with colds and usally it is gone by now that is hy i am a little concerned as i dont want to leave it untreated as damage can happen if left too long thanks again.John

Closed Thread