It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
(female)

gamergirlZimbar HB User
Question Scratchy Noise in Ears...

I have a scratchy, almost static noise that will occasionally make itself known. It started yesterday after I got some water in my ear from the shower. After hearing the noise in my ear, I assumed it was just water, so I turned my head to the side and gently put a Q-tip inside, hoping it would suck up the water. It seemed to work. Five minutes later, the noise was back, in short blips.
I often use Q-tips to clean my ears, and I am very careful. It had been at least a week since I had cleaned my ears before the issue.
The sound mostly happens when I turn my head, as if something in my ear is moving when I move. The length of noise is a short shuffle, not prolonged.
There is no pain or dizziness accompanying the noise.
I do not listen to loud music.
Does this sound like something serious? I'm hoping it doesn't mean my eardrum is damaged.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2011, 05:53 AM   #2
(male)

bossfansing HB User
Re: Scratchy Noise in Ears...

I'm not a doctor, but I am a record producer and musician and I know a lot about ears because I need to keep mine in tip-top shape. My ears are how I make my living.

I don't believe your eardrum is necessarily damaged. If there's no pain, then that's pretty much out of the picture. You'd know if your eardrum was damaged because it hurts like all hell and you'd most likely experience hearing loss. I fell while surfing about a year ago straight on my ear. The water that shot up bruised my ear drum and threw off my equilibrium. It hurt beyond anything I've ever experienced and I have a very high threshold of pain.

In your case, it sounds like it could be one of a couple of very non-serious things:

1. You may be hearing the pressure clearing from your ears. This happens when there's a different of air pressure between your ears and the outside, like when you ride up an express elevator or fly in an airplane.

2. Your neck muscles may be very tense. When you move your head a certain way and stretch them, you may be hearing the muscles loosening a little bit. Ears are very sensitive to head movement.

I hope this helps and that you feel better!

The Following User Says Thank You to bossfansing For This Useful Post:
gamergirlZimbar (12-16-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
(female)

gamergirlZimbar HB User
Re: Scratchy Noise in Ears...

Thanks very much!
After two days, it actually went away. Unfortunately, a day after that, it came back.
I've definitely been tense lately, so that's a very plausible cause.
Thanks again for your input

Closed Thread