It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2011, 06:28 AM   #1
(male)

jgionet76 HB User
Red face chronic throat spasms pain

Hi,
Ever since my grand-mother passed away 3 years ago I've been experiencing these random throat muscle spasms. It comes and it goes randomly it seems. I'm guessing it might be brought on by chronic stress.

The pain as best as I can describe it:
- inside/middle of my throat more on the right side
- sharp
- stabbing sensation
- concentrated in 1 spot - bottom of the neck

It happens VERY randomly, I could be talking and all of a sudden I get this VERY sharp/concentrated pain inside my throat which I can't do anything to suppress. The pain is so overwhelming that I'm pretty much paralyzed in movement (frozen). I sometimes feel like I'm chocking where I have to cough, which then just intensifies the pain. It gradually does goes away around after 20-30 seconds. Then my voice is hoarse for a few minutes when I talk.

What else triggers it: yelling (raising my voice), coughing, sneezing, swallowing anything (food/liquids/saliva) in big quantities (gulps).

Now like I said, this is random, after a day or two I might not experience this for weeks if not months.
I'm currently going through it right now and it's lasted for almost a week now, which is why I'm trying to seek possible reasons/causes for this random pain.

Occasionally I can poke my finger at a certain spot at the bottom of my throat to sometimes prevent an "attack" from occurring when I'm eating or drinking.

I did go to a clinic a few years ago and they just said it's probably just a muscle in my neck that's been weaken by suppressing emotional distress/stress (my grand-mothers passing, tried really hard not to cry/breakdown/etc)

I've searched and I've searched for possible reasons for this and haven't been able to find anything that matches all my symptoms. I do have an appointment booked with my doctor next week. I'd just like to know some possible reasons before I go see him so I'm not left in the dark.

I am on blood pressure medicine (currently under control) and anti-depressants (wellbutrin).

Thanks
-JG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: chronic throat spasms pain

Do a search on Vocal Cord Dysfunction and I bet you'll find some answers. I developed this in my 20's and still have it. My pulmonologist says it is a form of asthma.

I can trigger the spasms by simply turning my head the wrong way or breathing in wrong or eating certain foods...seems the textures trigger it. Spicy food is a no-no for me.

As far as I know, there really isn't any treatment.....asthma treatments don't help me. The best I got from the doc was that if I pass out from lack of air, that will break the spasm and I'll be okay...great.

Seems ENT's don't treat this but lung docs know about it. I found out about it from a doc who had it and almost did a tracheotomy on himself to get air before he knew what it was.

Hope this helps you with answers.

Jen

Closed Thread