It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2011, 11:55 PM   #1
(female)

sharon1983 HB User
Question tonsil stones after tonsillectomy

So I had a partial tonsillectomy 2 years ago in hope to cure my chronic bad breath. At that time whenever I touch the tonsils with my finger there was a foul smell. The tonsillectomy cured that. And I didt' remember to see those tonsil stones for months, and probably for two years. My bad breath was still there but seems better than it used to be. Btw, I had constant post nasal drips, stuffed noses, and later was diagnosed with LPR which I had no way to control.

My worst fear is that recently I found I'm starting to get tonsil stones quite often, like a constant thing. I'm still getting sore throat when I get a cold. And now I'm getting a cold my left tonsil is sore, and when I touch the position it smells so bad! worst, I spitted out two tonsil stones and it feels to have a lot more there. My inner ear were itching like hell for two months also.

Two years ago the ETN doctor who performed the surgery told it's not likely to grow back. I believe I'm still having tonsil tissure there anyway becuase it was a partial tonsillectomy which I didn't know before the surgery. And I do remember the surgeon told me after the surgery that during the surgery he found my tonsil tissues were scared and grows very deep what so ever. During a following visit he told me he tried to clear up things but seems didnt do a good job.

Does anyone has experience with this? tonsil stones after tonsillectomy? What are the probably causes? what should I do now? Thank you very much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
(female)

pianoprincesse HB User
Re: tonsil stones after tonsillectomy

Sorry I meant to reply to you sooner when I read this but had an issue with my tonsillectomy.

In my opinion, (and I'm no doctor) I would assume that only a full tonsillectomy will fully get rid of your symptoms. If the crypts are there, the tonsil stones will develop..anytime it swells from tonsillitis symptoms the crypts get bigger.

My first advice, Find another ENT : and be absolutely sure you know his experience with adult tonsillectomys. My ENT takes out tonsils of those in their 60s because he believes theres no reason to suffer with tonsil stones and theres nothing else that can actually help it. If you lived in Oklahoma: I'd be able to give you name of a great ENT.

You need a full tonsillectomy. Check out the ENT this time further. Don't suffer with this! you do not have to deal with it! Someone will take them out fully. Just remember not every ENT will and you may have to go to more than one ENT. You want the best experience possible.

Keep us all updated. This forum has great people on it and we will all help you get through the tonsillectomy when that happens.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
(female)

sharon1983 HB User
Re: tonsil stones after tonsillectomy

Hi thank you so much for great advice.

I believe what you said. The suffering is unbelievable. Because of it I lost two jobs, 4 bfs, have no friends, depressed and dropped grad school. I am a 28 year old well educated woman published 2 papers on PubMed.

Today I'm gonna see the ENT doctor who performed the surgery on me. I made another appointment with another ENT doctor next week.

For long time after the tonsillectomy I kind of lost my hope since it didn't cure my bad breath problem after 1months good days. The new ENT doctor told me I have LPR and after failure to try loads of PPIs the only hope a determination to do the anti-reflux surgery.

NOw I think I need to exame the successfullness of the old tonsillectomy.
I don't know if I can have another tonsillectomy, a full one.

I am in NY. I'm having a hard time finding a good ENT doctor. If anyone can recommend me one I appreciate your help so much.

I'll keep you updated.

Thank, thanks very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoprincesse View Post
Sorry I meant to reply to you sooner when I read this but had an issue with my tonsillectomy.

In my opinion, (and I'm no doctor) I would assume that only a full tonsillectomy will fully get rid of your symptoms. If the crypts are there, the tonsil stones will develop..anytime it swells from tonsillitis symptoms the crypts get bigger.

My first advice, Find another ENT : and be absolutely sure you know his experience with adult tonsillectomys. My ENT takes out tonsils of those in their 60s because he believes theres no reason to suffer with tonsil stones and theres nothing else that can actually help it. If you lived in Oklahoma: I'd be able to give you name of a great ENT.

You need a full tonsillectomy. Check out the ENT this time further. Don't suffer with this! you do not have to deal with it! Someone will take them out fully. Just remember not every ENT will and you may have to go to more than one ENT. You want the best experience possible.

Keep us all updated. This forum has great people on it and we will all help you get through the tonsillectomy when that happens.

Closed Thread