It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
(female)

Jenna333 HB User
Severe Pain after Tonsillectomy

My brother recently had his tonsils out, he is 19 and I never thought that he would be such a baby about the pain from it (from reading others posts i now know that it is in fact very painful), but he is usually very good at handling pain, not much bothers him, but not in this case. Because he can usually handle pretty much any pain (he broke his wrist and left it alone for a couple weeks because we were moving and he wanted to be able to help), he doesn't believe that he needs the pain medications. Instead he insists on smoking, just as he did before the surgery. Apparently it helps for about 5 minutes and then it gets worse again.
is there any else other than (or on top of) the pain meds that can ease the pain?
and is smoking cigarettes or weed a bad idea shortly after a tonsillectomy?
and I'm wondering if there is anything i can do to help him, tonsillitis runs in the family both parents had them out as children, and my little sister gets it quite often and he is scaring her. is there anything i can tell her to ease her anxiety (she has not yet been told that she needs them out but is absolutely terrified now that she might have to and she will suffer the same as him).
thank you so much for any advice or information you can provide.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
(female)

choirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB User
Re: Severe Pain after Tonsillectomy

~Ice packs around the neck.
~Chewing gum. If I was awake, I was chewing sugarless gum.
~Water. Drink lots of it.
~My favorite food during recovery was instant mashed potatoes, which I started eating the day after surgery. They went down so well that I practically lived on them for over a week.

I have no advice regarding smoking, as I think it's always a bad idea to smoke anything.

The Following User Says Thank You to choirgirl For This Useful Post:
Jenna333 (01-04-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
(female)

Jenna333 HB User

thank you. and i agree that smoking is never a good idea, i am trying to get patient to stop. thank you for your advice

Old 06-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Apache Kristy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna333 View Post
My brother recently had his tonsils out, he is 19 and I never thought that he would be such a baby about the pain from it (from reading others posts i now know that it is in fact very painful), but he is usually very good at handling pain, not much bothers him, but not in this case. Because he can usually handle pretty much any pain (he broke his wrist and left it alone for a couple weeks because we were moving and he wanted to be able to help), he doesn't believe that he needs the pain medications. Instead he insists on smoking, just as he did before the surgery. Apparently it helps for about 5 minutes and then it gets worse again.
is there any else other than (or on top of) the pain meds that can ease the pain?
and is smoking cigarettes or weed a bad idea shortly after a tonsillectomy?
and I'm wondering if there is anything i can do to help him, tonsillitis runs in the family both parents had them out as children, and my little sister gets it quite often and he is scaring her. is there anything i can tell her to ease her anxiety (she has not yet been told that she needs them out but is absolutely terrified now that she might have to and she will suffer the same as him).
thank you so much for any advice or information you can provide.
Firstly, i am 20 and had my tonsills out 10 days ago and still recovering. and yes, it is VERY uncomfortable, fustrating, and annoyiing. put me in tears a few times to be honest. but smoking is (if anything) going to make the pain worse because you are adding the smoke to a wound. which can cause bacteria. the only thing that you can do really is drink lots of fluids like eating popsickles or ice pops (they are like 95% water) and keeping up on cold foods like sherbert (not ice cream, it coats ur throat and annoys) and italian ice and such. i have a day to day blog about my recovery so far here on HB. but weed and cigarettes may seem like it'll help, but like you said, 5 min go by and its hurting again. best i can say, (im against meds too, but ill be honest) the meds help! if he does not like what they gave him, he can ask for something else. they gave me roxicet but i did not like it because it was making me vomit and feverish and having headaches (a lot of ppl cant take it because of that same reason) and they gave me hydrocodone instead, which is normally for children but works great for me. Best of luck, and keep the fluids down and you'll be ok. It only gets better!

Closed Thread