It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
(male)

Fitman40 HB User
Fluid build up in ear canal

I once went to my doctor because one of my ears seemed to be plugged up. I thought it was a wax buildup that he'd have to remove. But he checked it and said it was clear. He then mentioned that it was most likely from drinking hot liquids such as hot cocoa which he said causes a fluid buildup in the ear canal, and that it I continued drinking hot liquids, he would have to insert a tube of some kind to drain the fluid from my ear canal.

More recently, I've been having that same plugged up feeling in my left ear (same one as last time). I have been drinking alot of hot cocoa since it's winter. I remembered what the doctor said about that and lowered the temperature of my hot cocoa when I drink it and the problem seems to have lessened.

Now, I just googled what the doctor told me, and all I find is advice that drinking hot liquids can actually be the solution to plugged up ears (caused by fluid build up)! So can someone here shed some light on what is actually true? Anyone here have experience with this? Do hot liquids (drinks) cure fluid buildups in the ear canal, or do they actually cause it?

Last edited by Fitman40; 02-23-2012 at 03:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
(female)

jenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB User
Re: Fluid build up in ear canal

Hi, I've personally never heard anything about hot liquids plugging ears (and believe me, I have researched hundreds of pages online about the topic). I have also read advice to sip hot tea, etc., to help loosen secretions of mucus and clear a blocked ear.

I will say that the milk in hot chocolate is probably not doing you any favors if your problem involves mucus overproduction. I limit my dairy, and it does seem to help, especially when I'm suffering from an upper respiratory tract infection.

Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
(male)

Fitman40 HB User
Re: Fluid build up in ear canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifleck View Post
Hi, I've personally never heard anything about hot liquids plugging ears (and believe me, I have researched hundreds of pages online about the topic). I have also read advice to sip hot tea, etc., to help loosen secretions of mucus and clear a blocked ear.

I will say that the milk in hot chocolate is probably not doing you any favors if your problem involves mucus overproduction. I limit my dairy, and it does seem to help, especially when I'm suffering from an upper respiratory tract infection.

Hope this helps.
I may have been wrong in referring to what is being plugged up as the ear canal. I think it might be the eustation tube he was referring to.

Closed Thread