It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #181
(female)

buffalonygal HB Userbuffalonygal HB Userbuffalonygal HB Userbuffalonygal HB User
Re: Blocked left ear but no pain...

Hi Girls!! Jenni, i sent you a PM before i read ur message on here..yuk about the infection but glad you're getting your ears to open up!!!! mine are horrible today, and Luci i do wonder if it has something to do with the weather...and the barometric pressure...we went to a local pub for dinner tonite and i was so discouraged sitting there thinking how poorly i was hearing things...everything sounded like a big jumbled muffled mess...trying not to feel discouraged..gota keep the faith...so glad we have one another to vent..my husband gets sick of me talking about my ears too jenni, but they have NO Idea what its like to feel like this...they have one day of a headcold and stuffed ears and they complain..how would they like 24/7 for several months?!?! Luci, cant really say the olive leaf has helped...i wish it did...im continuing taking it along with several other supplements...i guess its suppose to be an overall good immune system booster..so i will continue taking it...today i've been having ALOT of gunshot pops...feels like someone is snapping a rubber band on my eardrum...its soooo annoying..just now had 3 in a row in my right ear......ugh!!!!!!!!! Well girls you are in my prayers..thanks for yours as well..take care!

Old 05-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #182
(female)

Jenmomof2 HB UserJenmomof2 HB UserJenmomof2 HB UserJenmomof2 HB UserJenmomof2 HB User

Hi girls,
Just was able to come on and read everyones new posts. Glad to hear that your ear is better Jenni. It does sound like you definitely took that blocked eat down with military style precision! I have some questions for you guys today! These are questions I hope each of you will answer, as it will help me better understand some things.

1.) When you say your ear is stuffy/blocked, what EXACTLY does it feel like? Does it feel as though you can hear perfectly, but there's just inflammation? Or is it actually blocked, with some actual hearing loss? Or does it feel like something else entirely?

2.) Is the blocked feeling 24/7 or does it go away sometimes and your ears feel completely normal?

3.) If it is 24/7 blockage, does it wax and wane? Can you identify anything that makes it worse/better?

For me, my blocked feeling feels as though my ears are swollen up on the inside and I can hear pretty much perfectly. The only trouble I have is in crowded noisy places. Then I feel like I'm hard of hearing, though the test results claim that I hear at 5-10db across the board. My feelings of blockage/swelling are 24/7, but they wax and wane. I don't really know what makes it better or worse.

Luci, glad to hear you're doing well. I hope everything will continue that way for you, and you still have my prayers everyday.

Joyce, glad to hear you're still fighting against this etd nightmare. You are, like I said before, truly an inspiration to me. You got blindsided with this as well, but yet you have not given up hope. Your hope brings me hope. I totally know how you feel about crowded noisy places though, it feels like you just can hear. As my previous ENT told me though, it's just an illusion, you can really hear just fine, it's only distorted cuz our eardrums are not able to vibrate optimally because the e tubes aren't equalizing our middle ear pressure. That what I try to remind myself in times of panic in noisy places. It does help sometimes.

Jenni, so glad you brought up your cranky husband! Mine gets sick of hearing about my ears too! He calls it 'that d*mn ear!' he says it's ruining his life cuz it's all he ends up hearing about when we talk at night. I've also been pestering him about Dr Weeks/Dr Poe, so he's stressed out about all of that, confused about what ET dilation is, and just wants to watch the White Sox play! It's not only hard to talk to husbands, it's hard to really talk to anybody who hasn't dealt with this. That's why this board is a blessing for people who have health conditions, because it's a way to connect with peopl who DO get it. And btw, I totally support your theory off why etd happened to us 'this' time as opposed to before. Let's call it what you started to- the Perfect Storm theory. I believe that you are 100% correct.

Ladies I realized I forgot one other question, and to me this might be the most annoying thing right now, but have you noticed that when your ears are blocked, you're voice sounds obnoxiously weird to you? I feel like I sound so nasally or something. It's definitely not autophony though. It's almost so darn obnoxious sometimes that I hate speaking cuz I hate the way I sound out loud to myself. Again, I don't experience autophony. Soooo, does anyone here deal with this? Hate singing too (ie Mass) cuz it sounds all off key. So annoying! I swear, when my kids bring me long books to read I cringe cuz I don't want to hear my weird droning voice that long!

How else is this ETD monster going to freak me out? I can't sing, don't want to speak, and avoid noisy crowded places for fear of feeling, well, deaf. What next?!

I did meet someone today with the same darn problems as us. He too got it after a virus! I'm telling you, the virus connection needs to be better researched by the ENT field. Yes, it might cause damage to e tubes, but what exact damage? If we know what kind of damage it is, maybe that will be the key to fixing us up!

Time for my cheesy inspirational quote of the day:

"Let me not pray to be sheltered from dangers, but to be fearless in facing them. Let me not beg for the stilling of my pain, but for the heart to conquer it. "
~ Rabindranath Tagore

As always, you are all in my thoughts and prayers!
Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2012, 05:09 AM   #183
(female)

buffalonygal HB Userbuffalonygal HB Userbuffalonygal HB Userbuffalonygal HB User

good morning!! Jen, to answer your questions, 1. mine feel swollen and blocked but i can still hear ok...muffled but ok, feels like somthing is swollen inside the ear..that sometimes crackles and itches (and i get the crawly sensation alot in both ears, and the snapping of the rubber band noise). Always feels better when im asleep (when i wake up in the middle of the night its not nearly as intense) and its not as bad first thing in the morning...always tends to get worse as the day goes on..the perfect way to describe it, is like how we all started with a cold, well thats how this started, and usually with a headcold i'g get stuffed ears..but usually after a few days i'd start feeling better, and then ears would unplug and id feel fine...ahhh for those good ole days..this feels like my ears never unplugged from that cold..so i too believe there is a viral connection here. mine NEVER have unplugged 100% since the last bad headcold..i MAY get an occasional little "pop" but its shortlived, the ear always fills back up in minutes..so yes i have it 24/7 except at nite when im laying down, it doesnt seem as bad...i also notice alot of tension in the ear/jaw area..which im sure is cuz i clench my jaw so much. I notice that on damp days its even worse, bright sunny days, not quite as bad but still always there. I did see our area has a very high pollen count this time of year so im sure that isnt helping..altho ive never had allergies i notice this time of year every year i get the itchy eyes and sneeze more often, even tho its not been official by testing me for allergies i think the pollen makes me react in such a way...my symptoms started back in sept 2011..and its been a battle ever since..Jen, im so glad i help encourage you..you and Luci & Jenni are a great encouragment for me and i thank you all for listening to me vent. I know our hubbies are tired of listening to us......glad we have each other..its hard to relate when you dont know how awful this feels...keep forgetting to ask all of you do you ever get the crackling sound in your neck (sounds like gravel in there) when you move your head up and down or side to side????i get that alot and my chiro explained to me what it is, nothing serious but very annoying...i notice its better after an adjustment, but within a couple days its back...i tried to get in to my ENT but shes on vacation til the 21st...so im gona see her the 23rd to see if she sees the "Black line onmy eardrum"like my gyn said she saw......i got so desperate the other nite i mixed some hydrogen peroxide and a bit of alchol and dropped a couple drops in each ear...My ent did tht be4 she suctioned out the fungus...when she did it, it bubbled like crazy, but when i did it, it barely bubbled..so i drained it right out..it was more like a rinse in the ear..to possibly disloge any hair that mighta been in there...nothing came out, and ears still plugged...so then i took the blowdryer on low and moved it over my ear to dry the canal out..the ent said if i ever tried the hydrogen peroxide at home, be sure to dry the ear canal out so i dont create a nice moist enviroment for the fungus to grow...i also use ear plugs when i shower to prevent any water from getting in my ears! such a Pain this all is, but we will get thru it..i love your quote Jen....sooo very true..will remember that today~~happy mothers day to you all.........lets pray for a great day tomorow that we all will enjoy xo

Old 05-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #184
(female)

Jenmomof2 HB UserJenmomof2 HB UserJenmomof2 HB UserJenmomof2 HB UserJenmomof2 HB User

Thanks for your response Joyce. I'm trying to make sure I'm not just crazy! I have the same feeling as you with the swollen feeling in your ears. Mine don't make rubberband noises, but I do feel like when I pop them, there's a horrible sticky noise, like thick gross mucus is stuck in there or something. The drs don't see any fluid, I wonder if maybe it's just mucus kinda stuck there that they aren't able to really see. I've tried mucinex, but it seems to upset my stomach.
Joyce, do you also hear your voice differently with clogged ears? I don't have autophony or anything, but I feel like my voice sounds more nasally. I'm response to your question, I don't think I get the gravelly sounds in my neck. But I do get a lot of neck pain on the back of my neck.

I told you guys the other day, I met a guy who actually has the same problems as us! He got it after a cold in November. I was so shocked. I've never met anyone in person with this problem. It was strangely comforting. He has a lot of the same tricks for dealing with it as us, in fact, hasn't even seen a dr about it yet.

So I'm getting really frustrated today with all my ear cracklies. It's not as bad as gunshot pops, but it's severely annoying. I was thinking about taking some more mucinex to see if it's mucus. Also took some ibuprofen to tame a sinus headache I was having. I'll check back later to see who else has updated.
Jen

Old 05-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #185
(female)

HI Jen..its probably very surprising how many ppl suffer from this but suffer in silence for fear people will think they are crazy..but we arent...the symptoms are REAL and beyond annoying...all day today my ears felt pretty good, still blocked but not such a tightening sensation like i get towards evening..i duno why mine always feels worse at nite and laying down, i feel slightly better than when im standing or sitting..i cant even get mine to pop..i tried to get an appt with the ENT but shes on vacation til the 21st so i made an appt for the 23rd just hoping i can get out of work to go...i want her to double chek for fungus again....altho i dont really think its back, but when i asked my gyn to look in my ears..she saw the "black line" in the left ear and said she could barely see the rt ear cuz there was wax in it....and jen, yes my voice sounds very different to myself..my sounds like im talking thru a tin can..very rattly and crackly...thats the best way to describe it..i do know what u mean about the sticky feeling my ear canals always feel they are wet, even tho i use earplugs when i shower...do yours feel the same way? We went to church tonite, and i said a prayer for all of us on here...are u still using the olive leaf? i am, even tho i havent noticed much help from it...also using the quercerin along with several other supplements..Well, Jen, Jenni & Luci, enjoy your mother's day tomorrow...im really gona try to concentrate on enjoying my kids and granddaughter and not think about my ears all day...!

Old 05-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #186
(female)

Happy Mother's Day to all you ladies! Here's hoping for a wonderful day with our families with no ear symptoms!
I'm so glad that I'm not the only one with the weird voice thing Joyce. It makes me feel less alone. I get to the point where I hate talking like I said! Glad to hear your ears weren't too much trouble today. I started a different anxiety drug today, klonopin, which is stringer and longer acting than Ativan. Here's hoping it will help me deal with this stuff on a daily basis.
I think you're right about silent sufferers. I pray that they will all start speaking up and that the ENT field will feel the fire lit under their butts to get a more commonly available fix for this. We shouldn't need to travel cross country to be taken seriously with these etd problems. This ET surgery should become common knowledge for all ENTs. Hopefully that will happen in the near future.

Well goodnight all, praying for you to have a safe, happy, and healthy mother's day.
Lots of love,
Jen

The following user gives a hug of support to Jenmomof2:
buffalonygal (05-13-2012)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jenmomof2 For This Useful Post:
buffalonygal (05-13-2012), LoopyLuci (05-13-2012)
Old 05-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #187
(female)

LoopyLuci HB UserLoopyLuci HB User

Happy Mother's Day to all of you!!!

It rained here overnight and I woke up to very blocked ears. Used my Afrin and can get cleared for a bit.

I can agree with the voice thing. When I am blocked my voice seems way too loud. Even eating seems way too loud, like things are amplified .

As far as the hearing loss, I already have hearing loss from the Meniere's. However, when my tubes are blocked it causes substantial more loss. When I get my ears cleared, then my hearing is much better.

I too get the swollen from the inside feeling. At other times it is intense negative pressure that feels like someone is pushing in on both of my ears with 100 pounds of force. During our drive to Alabama the pressure was incredible. I have found though that when the pressure reaches that extreme level that is usually when my ears will pop and clear for a bit.

I truly hope all of you have a great day with your families, children, and grand babies ( Joyce).

Btw, Jen I enjoy your quotes!! Keep them coming!! : )

The following user gives a hug of support to LoopyLuci:
buffalonygal (05-13-2012)
Old 05-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #188
(female)

HI Ladies! Hope you all had a wonderful Mother's day!!!!!!! I enjoyed being with my family - went out for brunch and then cooked out on the grill, for dinner....Ears were plugged all day, but i tried not to obsess over it (which was hard!) but i did enjoy my day! Right now having ALOT of crackling noises in both ears..i wish afrin would help me open up my etubes, i used it when i flew..and it kept my nose clear...and my ears certainly didnt feel any worse, but it never totally unplugged them..Pollen count is very high here today, and we were outside for a good part of the afternoon..Im sure that didnt help my ears! Thought about my "ETD family" today and said a prayer that you all had an enjoyable day even with our problems. Keepin' the faith for all of us......have a good nite..

The Following User Says Thank You to buffalonygal For This Useful Post:
LoopyLuci (05-13-2012)
Old 05-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #189
(female)

Hi girls,
Glad to hear you guys had a good day! It was a good day here as well, besides the ear(s). I visited a friend who doesn't have anyone to really celebrate mothers day with, as her kids are grown and don't really bother much with her. We had a fun time doing little makeovers on my girls, she even let them take home some makeup(yikes!). I was talking to her about my ear situation, and she suggested I try getting food allergy testing. I guess her sister in law had a plugged up ear for 2 years after being sick and she ended up finding out she's allergic to gluten. Crazy! I think I will ask at my next PCP appt if they can do the blood test for that. I know it's a fat chance kinda thing, but I'm gonna take every lead. Still nervous and waiting for that ENT appt next month.
It feels like it will be forever waiting for it. I hope that this isn't a sinus surgery type problem, as I've read horror stories about ppl having sinus surgery and having even MORE eustachian tube problems. Heck, I read about a lady having a mini facelift and eustachian tube problems afterwards! What CAN'T make these little nuisances malfunction?! The list has to be short.

I know we all have been talking about a virus connection to our problems. I think I'm starting to understand the viral aspect more. I read a study on flu infected chinchillas and etd earlier in the year, but didn't really make the connection till now. Ok so in this study, the virus created epithelial cell damage in the chinchillas e tubes. The study unfortunately never mentioned if the chinchillas recovered from their etd or if so, when they did. My idea was that if every upper respiratory virus we had caused slight damage inside those tubes, it's possible that the accumulated damage is what pushes a persons e tubes over the edge to etd when the critical cold/flu attack happens. It would explain why this may have happened this time but not before. It's just a theory though. So how can we fix this? I don't obviously know, but I intend on trying to research what things can help mucousal epithelium repair itself. It was where the damage was, according to the research. It makes sense that to look into repairing that, that maybe we can experience some relief.

Btw, klonopin is CRAZY stuff. I took 1/2 mg last nite and felt drunk! I literally couldn't walk a straight line! It did take my mind off the ears though, since I literally couldn't focus on much but keeping myself from sliding off the armchair! Took it again this morning since I awoke pretty anxious and was downstairs in the chair sleeping on/off till 11am! I'm not sure about this drug...

I'm glad you like my quotes Luci, I look them up when I feel discouraged and keep several on my notepad in my phone to look at when I feel low. Here's another that inspires me because it let's us know that we must look inside ourselves for the strength to go thru lifes hardships, since everyone is dealing with their own struggles:

"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.” - Buddha

Old 05-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #190
(female)

jenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB User

Hi ETD Family! It sounds like most of us had a pretty good Mother's Day, bad ears notwithstanding. My day was good...very lazy (I slept in) and then had a mani-pedi with my 5 year-old daughter (her first; she loved it). Then my husband grilled and served us dinner.

Friday night, we had driven to the beach, and my right ear relapsed almost as soon as we started our drive! It plugged right back up, and I spent all of Friday evening and all of Saturday at the beach frantically dosing myself with medicine, valsalva-ing, etc., etc. Finally on the drive BACK, crossing the coastal range, my ear gave a very crackly pop, and by morning I was back to being semi-okay again. SO WEIRD. I was wondering if taking the drive exposed my ear both to the allergens it dislikes (all the trees blooming by the river) and the pressure changes of crossing mountains.

Oh, and there's still fluid in there because when I valsalva, the pe tube on that side squeals, bubbles, and squeaks like a bird chirping or a balloon letting air out slowly through a pinched neck. It's bizarre...the unblocked left side doesn't make any sound but a hiss of escaping air, but the right side is this crazy symphony of noise. Anyhow, my family kept saying, "MOM, stop making that noise!" because I was doing it every half hour or so. Again, nobody GETS it unless they GET it...

Jen, here are some answers to your questions...

1.) When you say your ear is stuffy/blocked, what EXACTLY does it feel like? Does it feel as though you can hear perfectly, but there's just inflammation? Or is it actually blocked, with some actual hearing loss? Or does it feel like something else entirely?

A: I've had different sensations of blockage. Sometimes it just feels like a hot heaviness in there, sometimes it feels swollen, and sometimes it feels like a wet cave with liquid sloshing around that I can actually feel move when I tilt my head certain ways. The weirdest thing is that there are actually LEVELS of blocking...mild, moderate, severe, and oh-please-make-it-stop. When my ear is at the most severe level, it actually muffles my hearing, like a temporary conductive hearing loss. I also feel like sometimes it's a blockage in the middle ear cavity and sometimes it's just in the e-tube.

2.) Is the blocked feeling 24/7 or does it go away sometimes and your ears feel completely normal?

When I first had this, it was 24-7 for 48 days straight. Then it was intermittent, but with bothersome symptoms happening at some point every day...usually beginning in the late afternoon or evening. Then, about a year into it, I started getting a few clear days followed by symptoms; much more bearable, though not as ideal as being cured, of course. THEN I had this last relapse thing after my flight home from Boston, which gave me the 24-7 blocked ear again. I feel like this time it's not sticking around as long because I had that arsenal of weapons stockpiled, lol...but still very disheartening that it would happen again at all.

3.) If it is 24/7 blockage, does it wax and wane? Can you identify anything that makes it worse/better?

Things that seem to make it worse: low pressure systems (sky clouding up, rain coming), high salt load, MSG (makes my tinnitus go crazy!), playing outside in grass or pulling weeds or being outside on high pollen days. Things that seem to help make it better or break up a blockage: ibuprofen taken like clockwork (I do 800 mg every four hours!), 12-hr sudafed (the 4 hr stuff doesn't work as well for me), Mucinex every four hours, Afrin (used sparingly, and it doesn't always do anything helpful), Ear Popper device. Klonapin and/or Flexeril help tone down tinnitus, loosen muscle spasms, and also knock me out! So I can't really take those during the day.

OH! And I think I know EXACTLY what you ladies are talking about with the weird voice thing. I get that from time to time, and it's not quite autophony, or at least it doesn't seem to match what I've read about autophony. But my voice will sound loud, nasal, and muffled, all at once, like it's coming from deep in my head. And I find it is often worse outside, for some reason! I had a spell of it today hanging out in the cul de sac watching my kids play. I was hating the sound of my voice. I'm not sure why I get this or what it means, as it's not all the time. Dr. Poe seemed to think it might be a kind of intermittent autophony from my e-tubes being in spasm caught in the "open" position. So heck, maybe it is autophony? Whatever it is, I hate it when it happens and yes, it makes me not want to speak aloud!

PS Last thing...I feel like I may have made a minor breakthrough today. I may have mentioned that I have a pretty OCD-ish Q-tip habit. Well, I got busted by Dr. Poe for having a strand of cotton caught up next to my eardrum; it was plainly visible on the video monitor for me and my husband to see. He told me nevernevernever put anything in the ears. The wax is a natural antimicrobial/antibacterial agent. So I've been trying to stop using Q-tips. Well, I've been still using them just on the outer edge of the ear canal (baby steps to try to break a habit spanning decades, lol). And I've noticed that sometimes my ears will temporarily worsen after messing with them with cotton swabs. And today I thought -- well, heck, one of the things I tested positive to on my recent allergy testing was COTTON LINT. And here I'm not only swabbing my ears with cotton, but I'm doing it compulsively and aggressively enough to leave particles of cotton behind in the ear. So I'm literally applying a known allergen directly to the part of my body that seems to be suffering most from allergies. And then I'm surprised when I get a reaction? Really smart, right? I think I've now decided to stop the cotton swab madness once and for all, and see if that improves matters........ Wouldn't it be a kick in the head if it cured me? (I doubt it, but it would be a crazy irony, wouldn't it?)

Old 05-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #191
(female)

jenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB User

Woke up with right ear blocked/full again today. ARGH!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: jenni9033
buffalonygal (05-14-2012), LoopyLuci (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #192
(female)

UGH Jenni!!

Not what I wanted to read from the veteran among us on solving ETD issues. Do you think it is infection that is causing so much blockage again? I sure hope you can kick that blockage to the curb and are feeling better today!!

I felt like I hit the wall as of yesterday as well. It is amazing how you forget how far you have come when it is baby steps. I have been struggling with BOTH sides having the super tight 100 pounds of pressure thing along with feeling like someone has just poured hot lava down my ear canals.

I am hoping to try to get some insight from the gang. We have shared and compared notes of our ETD journey. I am hoping that maybe you guys can give your thoughts on some of the issues that I have along with my symptoms.

My life as of right now is pretty much homebound. I HATE it, as this is not like me at all. I have terrible hyperacusis in my right ear. When I hear normal everyday life sounds it causes pain/ burning/ vertigo and nausea to the point of literally becoming ill. By normal sounds this includes water running, dishes being put on the table, music, some peoples voices and so on. Even the sound of the microwave running hurts and causes me trouble. When I do go out I have grocery sacks in my purse out of fear of getting sick.

I think our drive to Alabama stirred things back up to a significant level again.

My tinnitus by the end of the day is loud, and the hearing goes way down as a result of not being able to hear over the ringing. It feels like a catch 22.

Just the sound of my own voice can bring on strong vertigo. Reading out loud to my little one can be a real challenge.

I am still having the snapping of the eardrum as I am falling asleep, but also my soft palate in my mouth has been making the same snapping sound as well.

I have a appointment with my ENT this week and really want to make the most of the visit. He straddles the fence between ETD and Meniere's causing the symptoms. My push back on the Meniere's is that for the past 15 years it has never caused symptoms like this.

I am open to any thoughts and suggestions that you guys might have. I want to be able to go in to my appointment with some more options to try.

I know that I have not suffered nearly as long as you ladies have. I have great respect for all of you and your strength through this. Today is 10 weeks for me. I am more than ready to get back in the swing of things again.

Thank you in advance!!

Joyce and Jenn, I hope you have had a good day!!

The following user gives a hug of support to LoopyLuci:
buffalonygal (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #193
(female)

HI Ladies...looks like this hasnt been a good day for any of us.........my left ear is so blocked i just now tried a hydrogen peroxide/alcohol rinse to see if it would help clear it.....today its very humid here..i duno if that might be making it worse but the crackling and pressure is unbearable......Luci, i have the horrible pressure, and slight veritgo but i dont get the burning sensation or vomit....i cant stand to hear myself talk loud cuz its like this echo in my head makes me crazy. My ears itch alot too...i know we are all so sick and tired of feeling like this.....wish i had some answers....today was a very stressful day at work, and somehow i know my stress levels contribute to how my ears feel...then i constantly obsess about my ears, then that raises my stress levels..thus creating a vicious cycle........i will b anxious to hear what your ENT has to say...i found myself clenching my teeth alot today..i have to make a conscience effort NOT to do it cuz i think that puts my muscles in the ear/jaw area into spasm.....i just pray we all get relief SOON. Luci, i get the "snapping" of the eardrum at times..moreso at nite..like someone is flicking a rubberband inside my ear canal..its beyond annoying
Jen, I tried the klonopin..i hated the way it made me feel..so i went back to xanax.....it seems to take the edge off my anxiety.
Well girls I'm praying we all have a better day tomorrow...i hate not wanting to go anywhere or do anything cuz i feel so crappy. Prayers to all of my ETD family xo

Old 05-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #194
(female)

Yeah Jenni and Luci, I'm totally feeling your pain today. Its a lovely day here but I'm miserable. I took my kids to the park for 2 hrs and it was nice but my head started feeling like it would explode with pressure. Ears and all. My family dr got my referral letter all ready for next month when I go to uic to see their ENTs. I'm worried I won't last another month with all this pain n pressure. I'm starting to rethink ear tubes. I don't know if they'd help over time but I'm getting to the end of my rope. The pressure is so aggravating. And sometimes it's no pressure, just feels like my head is ducked underwater. Luci, I haven't had this very long either. I hit my 4 month mark on mothers day. Jenni's story gives me hope that there can be more good days in the future.

I can totally relate to ur housebound situation. I feel that way sometimes too because of the muffled feeling when I get into certain noisy environments. I know the voice thing well too, in fact, all day today my voice sounded so weird I just wanted to tape my mouth so I couldn't possibly speak and hear it. My kids were acting up at the dr and I thought I'd lose my mind if I had to raise my voice to them one more time.

Jenni, your ordeal has lasted over a year- what do u think turned it around from the way it was in the beginning? Do u feel like the tubes really helped aside from making air travel easier? I had a temporary hearing loss when I tried the tube, it made me feel like my ear was hollow and I didn't feel any other major changes, which was why I had it removed. I figured I'd at least like my full hearing if the other symptoms weren't going to be relieved. I had such hope that it'd be my magic answer. Any tips besides the usual arsenal of OTC meds and ear popper? I think I may need to get me one of those asap.

I will be trying singulair now, as my dr wrote me a script for it. He figured it could also help my exercise induced asthma as well. It basically blocks mast cells from causing haywire in your nose. I don't hold too much hope for it, but will keep trying whatever they give me within reason.

Luci and Joyce, have u guys ever done allergy testing? Cuz it's seriously enlightening. I'm hoping when I go next month to uic that they can do some food allergy testing as well.

My referral letter literally says chronic sinusitis, allergic rhinitis, eustachian tube dysfunction, (oh my!) lol. Never thought I'd be this sick in the head

Quote of the day:
"Just keep swimming, just keep swimming!"
-Dory the fish (Finding Nemo)

Jen

Old 05-15-2012, 01:25 PM   #195
(female)

Hi Ladies,

Jenni, are you better today? I sure hope so!!

Joyce, yes that snapping sound does indeed sound like a rubber band. It doesn't hurt at all, just annoying. I am thankful that it is not chronic or constant as I have read some people can have. You mention the crackling sounds. Usually when that starts happening that is when my e tubes will loosen up and clear for a bit. Does the pressure change for you at all when that happens? I hate not wanting to be on the go too. It just isn't our style at all. Hope you had a less stressful day at work. I think you had mentioned that you work in a doctors office? Do they have any insight to offer you?

Jenn,
I totally understand how waiting a month for your appointment seems like an eternity!!

I had the same experience as you with the PE tube. This was actually the second time I tried it with the same results. For whatever reason I can't tolerate them. It pretty much left me deaf as well. Having normal conversation was not possible. Having a little one at home it was difficult to hear anything she said at all. It was frustrating for both of us. However, I can certainly understand you wanting to give it another shot.

My doctor actually just wrote me a script for Singulair too. I have tried it for a few days, but then started getting a bad headache. I will probably wait a couple of days and try it again. Let us know how it works for you. I didn't ask my dr how soon I would know if it was helping.

I have had allergy testing done in 2005 and have been on shots since then. I am allergic to most trees, grasses, dust and the usual kind of stuff. It didn't show any food allergies, but I am thinking about asking at my appointment tomorrow if they can retest for those again. I know gluten can be a big trigger for some people.

Jenn, LOVE the quote!! That made me smile!! I may have to find our Nemo movie and watch it tonight.

There have been quite a few threads on this forum on ETD. It would sure be nice to hear from those who have been down this road and how long or how they found relief. I assume they are feeling better and aren't as active on the board.

Hoping all of you have had a good day!! Know that I am praying for all of us!!

Closed Thread