It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #16
(female)

Jenmomof2 HB UserJenmomof2 HB UserJenmomof2 HB UserJenmomof2 HB UserJenmomof2 HB User
Re: Blocked left ear but no pain...

Joyce-
I'm allergic to a lot of stuff including molds of all sorts. Plus when I saw my ENT he told me that my eardrums r retracted and that's causing my major pain. He suggested trying a myringotomy to relieve the pressure on my ear drum in my left ear ( the worse one). I was scared to death but let him do it. The slit was ok but not the tubes. He tried one n I felt like I was hearing out of a barrel. Made him take it out. So now I have this tiny slit in my eardrum for a couple weeks. Hearing things out of that ear is a little strange. I feel like it maybe helped the pain some but not much with the fullness. That I think is cuz of the swollen eustachian tubes. Hopefully I can resolve it with the allergy treatments. I would maybe mention the ear drum slit or tubes to ur ENT on Monday since u have been suffering so long. Plus it will enable u to fly without damage to ur eardrums. Idk if u would like them I didn't but it seems like it's something ppl either like or hate. It would definitely help you on the plane though. Who knows it may help your whole problem. Just be sure to let Ur ENT know that u have been suffering for months and r about to fly. Also maybe do the allergy testing it really was crazy how many things we r allergic to that can cause ear issues after we have trauma like an ear infection or sinusitis. It probably is all just swelling and pressure built up in there causing us misery. I just pray that it will resolve for us soon. Thinking of u and praying for your good health,
Jen

The Following User Says Thank You to Jenmomof2 For This Useful Post:
buffalonygal (03-14-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #17
(female)

buffalonygal HB Userbuffalonygal HB Userbuffalonygal HB Userbuffalonygal HB User

thanks for the update...did the ent say if u had fluid behind the retracted eardrum?? when do u start allergy shots and how often do u have to go for them? Today mine is really full, im counting the days til i go monday......praying for some answers.....u wana hear something really strange? one of my co-workers has the EXACT same issues with her right ear..we got to talking today and when she told me how shes been feeling for the the last couple of months i was like O my goodness it sounded like i was talking about myself.....she says pressure and fullness is driving her nuts........i almost wonder if its something in our office that we are allergic to? sounds odd but its even more odd we have the exact same symptoms......shes gona see how i like the ent and if i do she is gona make an appt.......so the slit made no difference in relieving the pressure or fullness at all????????? i was hoping it would do that.........i will opt for tubes if it means i can fly without severe pain.....did he say if u kept it in that it would have felt better after some time or did it feel uncomfortable enuf that u knew u wanted it out asap? so sorry for all the ?'s !! did the ent think the swelling in the etube is from allergies?? it seems odd that we never experienced allergys before our most recent headcolds.......let me know how u r feeling tomorrow........saying a prayer every nite for us to feel better soon!!!!!!

Last edited by buffalonygal; 03-15-2012 at 12:21 PM. Reason: sorry, this post, posted twice!

Old 03-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #18
(female)

buffalonygal HB Userbuffalonygal HB Userbuffalonygal HB Userbuffalonygal HB User

thanks for the update...did the ent say if u had fluid behind the retracted eardrum?? when do u start allergy shots and how often do u have to go for them? Today mine is really full, im counting the days til i go monday......praying for some answers.....u wana hear something really strange? one of my co-workers has the EXACT same issues with her right ear..we got to talking today and when she told me how shes been feeling for the the last couple of months i was like O my goodness it sounded like i was talking about myself.....she says pressure and fullness is driving her nuts........i almost wonder if its something in our office that we are allergic to? sounds odd but its even more odd we have the exact same symptoms......shes gona see how i like the ent and if i do she is gona make an appt.......so the slit made no difference in relieving the pressure or fullness at all????????? i was hoping it would do that.........i will opt for tubes if it means i can fly without severe pain.....did he say if u kept it in that it would have felt better after some time or did it feel uncomfortable enuf that u knew u wanted it out asap? so sorry for all the ?'s !! did the ent think the swelling in the etube is from allergies?? it seems odd that we never experienced allergys before our most recent headcolds.......let me know how u r feeling tomorrow........saying a prayer every nite for us to feel better soon!!!!!! did he suggest any decongestants or antihistimines to help with the etube swelling??

Old 03-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #19
(female)

hi jen! thanks for the update! did the ENT say if u had any fluid behind your eardrums? today mine dont feel as bad as yesterday...i had a chiropractor adjustment today...seemed to help a bit...he said the left side of my neck (same side as blocked ear) has some serious muscular tension and i could actually feel the knots as he rubbed his fingers over them...he did some adjustments and my neck feels looser but ear still plugged :-( Do u have any nasal congestion? i have slight congestion on the left side only of my nose. So u have no ear infection, the ent feels the swelling and clogged ear is a result of allergies??? i have GOT to get this resolved b4 i fly...ugh..just the thought of it now scares me..........i have been reading about EarPlanes, plugs people use when flying to keep pressure in ears equalized...i dont know if they work, gona start a new thread and see if anyone has tried them and if they help.......do u feel any better today as far as ur hearing goes?? the tubes were that bad huh? cuz if that is an option for me, i am willing to try it..but not if its gona be more painful!!! well keep me posted and i will do the same!!!!!!!!! prayers are with you also that we both get this resolved SOON!

Old 03-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #20
(female)

Jenmomof2 HB UserJenmomof2 HB UserJenmomof2 HB UserJenmomof2 HB UserJenmomof2 HB User

Hi Joyce-
The tube just made me feel like my hearing was funny not really pain. I'm just waiting for the little hole they made to close back ip hopefully it will cuz that will open a whole new bout of craziness with me. I think it's nuts that a lot of ppl have been having these issues like us. I had fluid behind my ear drum for awhile but then it went away and now it's just negative pressure stuck behind there cuz my eustachian tubes won't open properly. So basically he was trying to relieve the accumulated pressure so my ear drum wouldn't be retracted anymore. Idk if the tubes would work for u or the ear plugs. Some ppl have said they like tubes others not so I guess I just don't like them. I'm starting allergy drops next week, they're like the shots but no needles. I'm hoping that will see some resolution once I start the drops. I hope all goes well at ur appt on Monday. Make sure u update me cuz I'm also going crazy over here thinking I'm gonna go deaf somehow. It's just maddening! I just want to be a good mom to my kids and wife to my husband not the ball of anxiety I've become. Talk to u soon!
Jen

Old 03-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #21
(female)

hi jen..i know what you mean bout being a ball of anxiety...i find it is ALL i think about, seriously i wonder if stress/anxiety plays a part in this feeling cuz all day my ears didnt feel too bad (i took today tomorrow and monday off from work cuz im a huge march madness bball fan) and so i get a call from another girl at work and got some very stressful news from her about another coworker who does NOTHING but stir up trouble at work and this time it involved me and so i hear all this stuff and i can feel myself getting all upset and stressed over it and immediatly my ears felt worse, the swollen sensation became 10x worse....i m going to post on the anxiety board about anyone having this problem......right now my head feels like it is gona explode from pressure....but how do we NOT think about it when its such a horrible feeling to have????? my left ear canal is about swollen shut...so i duno what is causing the swelling...i pray the ENT has some answers.......keep my posted on how ur are doing..

Old 03-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #22
(female)

Joyce-
Had to post due to freaking out!! Stuffy stuffy ears. I had ok morning took the kids to the park to meet a friend and they had a lot of fun. We ended up staying for 3 hrs! Hardly any ear stuffiness. But then.... Got home and it hit me hard. Tried to go shopping while my husband sat with the kids but couldn't really get into it cuz of the stuffy ears. I try not to let it get to me but sometimes it just does! My husband says our bodies are always healing themselves and that this will go away at some point. I wish I had that kind of reserve. I need some more hope than that I guess. Ugh, I wish I could just get this to go away. Tried taking zyrtec the last 2 days to c if it made any difference. Seemed like it did, but then it was right back to stuffy. Annoying. Hope your day was good and stuffy ear free.
Jen

Old 03-18-2012, 04:48 AM   #23
(female)

hey jen i was just thinking about you be4 i got on here and wondering how you were feeling.....Im sooo sorry you're still having a horrible time, both ears are really bad still? Mine is mainly my left ear....totally blocked this morning and shooting pains come and go...left side of nose is stuffy today too..my right ear seems to "pop" when i swallow but then feels a bit stuffy right afterwards.........both ITCH like crazy......yesterday, my kids were over and we were outside...my son and his buddies played street hockey and told me to give it a shot...being i had no clue what i was doing i tried it and for those few moments when i wasnt thinking about my ear, i enjoyed having some fun but of course, the minute i was done and came inside, its all i thought about...i yawn so much to pop it i cant imagine how stupid i must look, constantly yawning...i go to the new ENT tomorrow at 10:30 i kno u will say a prayer..i have been praying for you i was hoping the slit in the ear drum would at least help the stuffiness....i feel like theres a balloon in my ear that keeps blowing up bigger and bigger...i just wish the darn thing would pop .... ahhhh i can totaly sympathize with you..i mentioned how blocked my left ear felt to my hubby this morn when i got up..he didnt even reply..i know hes tired of listening to me but he has NO IDEA how frustrating this is..........we are going to church at 930 i will say a prayer for us............im always so tense...24/7 even now as i type this i have to make a conscience effort to relax my shoulders..they are tensed upwards towards my ears...i dont think our stress and tension is helping...and im tryig relaxed breathing etc...with not much help..................keep me posted i will update u when i get home tomorow...take care..

Last edited by buffalonygal; 03-18-2012 at 04:50 AM.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #24
(female)

HI Jen!!!!!!!!! Just got back from ENT appt........come to find out, i have a bad fungal infection in both ears (the left one MUCH worse than the right one)...she suctioned out such grose stuff, and immediately the right ear felt 100% back to normal.....the left ear, unfortunately, wasnt quite as easy to get the stuff out..she got all but one little spot but it became tooo painful for her to continue suctioning the eardrum............she said the left eardrum looked red and has some fluid behind it.....hence the reason im probably still not hearing real well out of the left ear...but the Dr didnt want to poke it or drain it today..said we gota get the fungus under control, and then, when i go back next wed, depending on how it looks she may need to drain any fluid out of there....i will say the pressure in the left ear is GREATLY reduced, but the fullness still remains i think becuz of the fluid........i have drops to put in the ears......and i go for rechk next wed. she mentioned nothing of Etube dysfunction...she said the fugus that had adheared to the eardrum was causing me the pain and pressure.......so hopefully the drops will help with the remaining spot and then, in turn, the redness of the eardrum will subside and it will go away. she did say fungus in the ear can be tricky to treat and hard to get rid of but she seems to really have her act together and knows what shes doing. she said an overuse of antibiotics can trigger a fungal infection. I have been praying u r feeling better........keep me posted and i will do the same!

Old 03-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #25
(female)

Joyce-
So glad to hear ur good news! I'm seeing my ENT tomorrow to check the healing of my eardrum slit. I hope it will go well. Hopefully it will heal soon. Glad to hear u don't have what I have. These stupid dysfunctional e-tubes suck. I just pray everyday for it to go away. I realize I might get to a point where I need to accept it for what it is, but it's hard. I don't think anyone has an easy time accepting chronic health conditions. I pray that if I can't have it go away that I can at least learn to live with it without losing myself in the process. I'll let u know how it goes tomorrow.
Jen

Old 03-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #26
(female)

Yes please keep me posted, praying for us both to feel back to normal soon. my right ear feels great..left ear...not so great......even tho the pressure is gone, it still feels "swollen" which im thinking is just the fluid.....still wishing it would "pop" when i swallow....im just so tired of dealing with all of this.....i never had problems with my ears before...this dr thinks my ear infections have been misdiagnosed all along, and ive been gettin antibiotics which just fed the fungus..im praying the swelling redness and fluid resolves becuz if it doesnt she said she will have to drain it......ear aches so bad from all the tugging she did with the suction. just took 2 motrin and gona relax..its back to work tomorow...ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..i wanted to ask u also, have u looked into TMJ at all? do u clench or grind your teeth alot? especially at nite, when your sleeping? i do, and my bottom teeth are worn down from it........and it can cause the full ear symptom. I asked the ENT about it but she feels my symptoms are due to the fungal inf. Please keep me posted...

Old 03-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #27
(female)

Hey jen how did you make out at the ENT today?? i was thinking about you.....my left ear is still very painful today.....the right ear seems to be ok but the left one woke me with a dull throbbing pain at 3am.......i didnt sleep well at all......still very stuffy feeling.....the drops have seemed to help with the itchiness but the left one still feels very plugged...im just mentally exhausted from alll of this.........as i put the drops in my ears just now i said please god make this go away........for both of us.........im popping motrin every 6 hrs...and if this pain continues im not gona wait til next wed to go back to the ENT......im thinking the membrane is just irritated from the suctioning but i just wish it would pop......keep me posted on how ur doing!!!!!!!

Old 03-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #28
(female)

Hey Joyce-
ENT was not a fun experience. He basically gave me the good news that my eardrum is healing from the slit he made in it. Said it should be healed up by my next appt April 3rd. But when I asked him about my ears, he basically told me not to get my hopes up. That this eustachian tube dysfunction can resolve on it's own, with tubes, or not at all. I guess he thinks that I might be stuck with this for awhile. I'm trying not to panic but I've been crying alot all day. I miss my old self and want that back. I'm glad that u r gonna get better tho. I just hope that I will have the strength to deal with this. I have 2 little girls to take care of and all this has taken it's toll on them and my husband too. I am trying to be positive as much as I can. I think u should go back to ur dr tho if ur in pain. Ur eardrum could burst and let that whole icky infection into ur middle ear. I would at least call n ask. Let me know how ur doing.
Jen

Old 03-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #29
(female)

ahhhhh Jen, i know how u feel.......i try not to cry cuz that makes things worse but i try not to scare myself into thinking im going deaf........im gona call the ENT tomorrow..then im thinking well what if the ear also has a bacterial infection and if i go on antibiotics will that flare up the fungal infection again?? i know how u feel, my 2 yr old granddaughter was over yesterday and she wanted to romp around outside and i just sat there...i dont wana do anything...my daughter asked me when the grandbaby could spend the nite so she and her hubby could go out for dinner and i said i just cant keep her overnite..she tends to wake up alot when she sleeps here and i dont have the energy to keep up with her...so i duno how u do it feeling like this with 2 little ones.......im really praying for both of us to feel better cuz this just flat out sucks big time...im trying to remember what it felt like to actually hear normally...and i honestly cant remember....i hate it..i dont sleep well at nite, i wake up and immediately start thinking about my ears and then i get so worked up about it i cant fall back to sleep..last nite the pain woke me up...i m taking xanax for the anxiety but it really doesnt help much and im still dreading flying in may if i feel like this....i was on here earlier at work and read a post from oct 2011 i think it was..about a girl who had the tubes put in for ETD and i guess the first few weeks were bad but then her hearing improved alot..its on page 5 or 6 i think...maybe u should reconsider the tubes?? well keep me posted..........know that im thinking about you and praying for both of us..........

Old 03-25-2012, 01:45 PM   #30
(female)

hey jen!! just wondering how youre feeling? I am heading back to the ent tomorrow...both ears still plugged and left one still painful..she changed my drops last week when i called her and told her my left ear was still painful and plugged, but its made no difference...duno if i still got the fungal thing going on or what but im beyond frustrated......i will keep u posted.......hope ur feeling better! Joyce

Closed Thread