It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
(male)

BorderingOnSane HB User
Sore throat for over two months; have a doc's opinion; didn't help.

As stated in the title, I've had a sore throat for over two months now, since about the beginning of January when I saw my Grandmother in the hospital. Since then I've had mostly dull pain in my throat, sharp at times, and extremely varied (it has moved from right side, to left side, to being an overall general pain.) It's gone away (very momentarily, from day to day basically) but it always comes back. I started out trying vitamin C drops just to keep the saliva flowing, and bought a humidifier, and nothing helped.

I finally went to a doctor who believes it to be acid reflux. I've been on Prilosec for about a week and a half now, which has helped my acid reflux, but it wasn't that bad in the first place, and the sore throat is still here. In addition, I've had increased bloody noses over the last two months. I've had them all my life, but they have been weekly if not daily for the last two months. I've had a slight cough and what feels like sore bronchials, although that is not confirmed. The cough is usually dry, but after drinking liquid and/or eating I'll have to clear my throat and cough for several hours to clear what feels like something in my lungs/bronchials.

Drinking or eating does make the pain cease while I'm actually swallowing, but when I'm not specifically drinking or eating, swallowing makes it hurt more. When I do swallow I can feel a "line" of pain from my throat to my upper chest, just about the middle of my sternum. It's not sharp, it's very dull, but it is perceivable.

I've had an almost constant feeling of dehydration recently, and have been drinking as much water as possible.

Sorry if this seems ramble-y, I've tried to be as specific and inclusive as possible, as this is driving me crazy. I wouldn't say I'm a hypochondriac, I only really get health anxiety when symptoms actually arise, but when they do I worry a lot.

I thought this could be a combination of GERD and/or Post Nasal Drip, but with the variances in symptoms, I really have no idea, and with the Prilosec helping my acid reflux but not helping the sore throat go away, needless to say I am still worrying, and really just want relief from this sore throat.

Thanks in advance for any help possible, and if I'm in the wrong section by all means let me know and I'll delete/move this thread. Thank you.

EDIT: Doc tested for strep; no strep. Also I had my tonsils removed when I was very young; 5 or so; I mention this because everything I can find online says possible strep throat and/or Tonsillitis, which I do not have either. Thanks again for any help.

EDIT: Was thinking about how often I am overly mucousal, which is basically all the time. I happened to Google neti pot after reading the sticky here, which led me to the Post-nasal drip wiki. After reading the symptoms, I would not be surprised if this is all caused by PND, but I just don't know how to tell, or why my upper chest feels pain in the bronchial area, or the pain when swallowing, or the constant nose bleeds. Hopefully going to pick up a neti pot and try that out. Any thoughts or ideas let me know, it would be appreciated.

EDIT: I was taking ibuprofen for something else, and it seems to have helped the pain go away (momentarily.) I'm assuming this is a good sign... Just worried it is something worse, as I've never had persistent pain like this in a specific area, especially over a couple month's time.

Last edited by BorderingOnSane; 03-09-2012 at 02:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
(male)

BorderingOnSane HB User
Re: Sore throat for over two months; have a doc's opinion; didn't help.

Been taking the Prilosec for two weeks; Mucinex for a couple days now; I feel like I haven't had acid reflux since I started the Prilosec, and the Mucinex has defininitely helped reduce the amount of mucus I feel is in the back of my throat and made all mucus less thick so as to help pass it, yet the sore throat persists. Anyone have any input...? Still worried. Doc told me to wait about a month with the Prilosec, but after two weeks with no improvement, it's not exactly helping my state of mind. Thinking about calling tomorrow to give update and find out if there is any change in idea of what I should do...

Old 03-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
(male)

BorderingOnSane HB User

In case anyone sees this in the future and has the same thing; go see an ENT. I'm back from the ENT. I have ulcers in my throat from acid reflux, and my GP didn't prescribe enough of the prescription. Also got another from the ENT to help with the healing of the ulcers, which the GP didn't prescribe at all. Load off my mind. Take care.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:17 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Was going to suggest the ENT so glad you went. Also, gargling with warm salt water might help as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
BorderingOnSane (03-21-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 05:54 AM   #5
(male)

BorderingOnSane HB User

Thanks Titchou! Will definitely do. I'm already at ease knowing what it is, but now to heal it faster and/or make it hurt less would be nice, too.

Closed Thread