It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #1
(female)

m1ffy HB User
spasm in ear in response to sounds

I have always thought it was hyperacusis and tinnitus but I think its being caused by a structural problem in my ear. I had this a couple of years ago and it was really bad for 6 months then it improved on its own. After having some sort of virus it is back again and really irritating me.

Every little sound causes it to spasm, it is worst with short high pitched noises e.g kitchen sounds, placing a glass on a table, but I also get it with peoples voices and my own voice. My ears feel full, and I have never been able to pop my ears despite trying endlessly. Tinnitus has increased in volume also.

Is there anything I can do?? I am taking magnesium supplements again and having epsom salt baths in an attempt to relax it. I live in the UK and have not heard of any doctors that specifically treat this, does anyone know any more about it and could recommend who I am best to see? I live in the North West.

Warm Regards

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2012, 02:57 AM   #2
(female)

jenksy81 HB User
Re: spasm in ear in response to sounds

I live in the UK and also have this problem. It's driving me crazy! Had it for months now and seems to be getting worse. I have a baby and every time she makes her lovely little gurgling noises my ear goes into spasm. I'm being tested for myoclonus at end of month but i'm not sure what they will do to help me. I pray it goes on it's own! I live in South West.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
(female)

social357 HB Usersocial357 HB User
Re: spasm in ear in response to sounds

I get this too. I get it especially if I take vicodin, if I have a cold, if I'm very tired, or if I wear wool next to my skin (if I wear a long-sleeved undershirt, and the neckline of the sweater doesn't touch me, I am ok). It does happen randomly too, but I can count on it if I've got one of the four criteria above. I can not figure out how wool could possibly cause ear spasms. The others, I kind of understand, but wool?! I don't get rashes or anything from wool, just ear spasm noises and a kind of shivery feeling when it happens. It's really uncomfortable.

I am 30 and have been experience this at least since I was 14 or 15, maybe earlier. I remember I had a sweater in high school that made me feel physically ill every time I wore it (eventually I gave it away, but I'm betting it was wool). I've never asked a doctor about it because it's the least of my health concerns, but I can definitely relate!

Closed Thread