It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
(male)

JonUK HB User
Vibrating deep sound in left ear

For the last 7 years I have had a very strange noise and sensation in my left ear, which sounds external but I am sure must be internal. This comes and goes in severity, sometimes it is very mild, and other times, like now, it can be unbearably loud. I have just got over a cold so I am hoping it will get better/quieter soon, but I am concerned it won't.

I have 3 types of tinnitus in total, one is a static whooshing sound in my right ear, like a untuned TV, I can cope with that one okay. My second is a fairly quiet whine in my left ear, mainly heard when finger is in ear or very quiet, again I can cope with that ok. My third type is the worst, it is a humming sound, like generator or truck parked outside your window with engine on type sound, very loud and annoying when in a quiet room. When in a noisy room I can still feel it as it twitches and moves my ear a bit and just feels like a deep vibration going through me.

I have also noticed certain noises will cancel it out a bit. An airplane in the far distance will stop the noise, until the plane has passed. If I hit the right pitch with a humming noise from my mouth I can cancel it out. However other noises, such as a kettle boiling, cars parking with engines left on, etc, can make it worse and almost make me feel sick.

Back 7 years ago when it began was after I had been using ear plugs every day as my neighbours dogs were annoying me. The about 2 weeks later I remember thinking a tractor was outside my house all the time in a near by field ploughing it. Took me a day to realise it was coming from me. I have no idea if the use of ear plugs kicked it off or if that was a coincidence.

Any idea if a head cold is the reason this has got bad if it is highly likely to go back to being quiet again ? I am worried I blew my nose too hard too many times or something, as I had the worst blocked nose ever, so I had to keep clearing it.

Thanks for any help !!

Last edited by JonUK; 04-11-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
(female)

social357 HB Usersocial357 HB User
Re: Vibrating deep sound in left ear

I get those ear spasms too (I think what we are hearing it the muscles in the ear spasming and contracting), and they definitely get worse when I am sick. I notice them when I am sick, over tired, have taken vicodin or when I wear wool against my skin. I haven't even figured out WHY but I do know the HOWs for the most part. It does happen randomly too, but usually one of the 4.

I'm being brave today and wearing a wool sweater with an undershirt. If the sweater gets past the undershirt and sits against my neck, I'll find out within an hour, but hopefully the undershirt will stay in place and protect me, because I love this sweater (and it's one of few sweaters I have that are nice enough to wear to work).

Maybe you have similar triggers. I only figured out about the wool in the past year or two, and I've been experiencing this (on and off; not daily) for about about 15 years. Pay attention to what you are wearing, eating and doing when it happens, and keep a little diary of symptoms, time of day, etc. You might be able to narrow it down and avoid it at least some of the time.

Closed Thread