It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
(male)

bjack HB User
Nose Problem -- Never Can Breathe Through One Nostril

I have a problem that I'm unsure of. Basically, ever since I can remember, I can't breathe through one of my nostrils. One minute it may be the left nostril, or next next it may be the right nostril. It will change, but no matter what; it will always switch out.

When the left nostirl is open, the right nostril is blocked
When the right nostirl is open, the left nostril is blocked

Now, BOTH nostrils will open up if I'm doing some kind of workout, or walking briskly, jogging, etc.

I'm a 25 year old male and this causes some problems for me. I am forced to breathe through my mouth and I know how dangerous that can be for your health. When I sleep, my mouth is open to breath, so I end up snoring and it is causing my girlfriend to get bad sleep (she is a very light sleeper).

I plan to get one of those chin straps that keep your jaw shut in your sleep to preven the mouth opening to stop snorng, but I'm afraid that I won't get enough air in the night as I'm sleeping with just one nostril.

I don't think this is a deviated septum since the nostirls change, right? Any insight on this is appreciated!

Last edited by bjack; 04-12-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2012, 04:23 AM   #2
(male)

bjack HB User
Re: Nose Problem -- Never Can Breathe Through One Nostril

anybody?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

It could be any number of things - polyps, turbinate issues, etc. Go see an ENT.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
(male)

Ray579 HB User

Hello,

I have the same problem - If one nostril is completely open, the other one is closed. If per chance I can breathe normally through both nostrils, it is because they are only partially open.

My situation is due to two primary things:
1) Allergies - Have you had a skin patch test for what you may be allergic to in your environment? An Allergist can help you determine that. I happen to be allergic to every type of common plant and fauna available along with dust and molds. If any go into my nose, I get stuffed up.

2) Turbinates - Your inferior nasal turbinates are responsible for filtering, warming and humidifying air. They can also get irritated if you are allergic to various things that fly around in the air such as pollen and dust. Without irritation, my turbinates are fairly large so when they are inflamed when an allergen comes into contact with them, they obstruct my nasal passages.

You might find that shifting around in your sleep leads to one side of your nostrils being more open than the other. This is because fluids/mucus inside your nasal sinuses are shifting around as well and the shift creates more opening on one side.

You also may have a deviated septum that can cause some breathing difficulties. I can mention this and any of the above because that's what I am going through. I am in the midst of debating types of surgery (I opened a couple threads if you find interest in reading them).

As the other poster advised, see an ENT but you can also see an Allergist as they can additionally tell you of any environmental components that could be contributing to your problems.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Ray579; 04-20-2012 at 12:13 PM.

Closed Thread