It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
(female)

Lexylovexoxo HB User
Question I have tons of adult tonsilectomy questions so please bear with me! :)

Im 22 its the 4th day after my sergury, ive got some questions. Okay so the day of yea obviously i was in pain but i was more concerned with the swelling my tongue and uvula were dealing with! They are huge. Anyways, day of was okay, i made sure all thru the night id wake up every hour n drink half a water bottle to keep the sergical site moist. Ive only been able to eat baby food. I tried jello but its still a lil too solid for me. And popsicles, they are too syrupy they make my spit really thick and difficult to swallow. Ive gotten the hiccups everyday so far!!! Driving me crazy, anyways sorry im kind of a scatter brain. Im scheduled to go back to work on May 1st, 13days after my sergury. Im hoping this will be enough time. Okay so a few questions. What did you eat each day? Did u eat anything hot or warm, if you did by which day did u start eating these foods? I cant brush my teeth only the front cuz icant open my mouth that big any suggestions? When did your scabs fall off & how was that experience because im scared? And when did you feel back to normal? Oh also i ate some warm realy small cut up soup, and it got stuck any advice for that? Sorry about the book i wrote you guys lol. Just trying to find out as much as possible. Thanks for your replys in advance!!!!

Old 04-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

briz350 HB User
Wink Re: I have tons of adult tonsilectomy questions so please bear with me! :)

Lexylove - I hope you get this. I'm 45 and had my tonsils out on April 10th so I'm 16 days post surgery. I would say that my recovery experience was average. My worst days of pain were days 5-9 or so because that's when I started to get really bad referred ear pain, which is common and happens to a lot of people after tonsillectomy.

I, too, did not like popsicles and only ate a few. Yes, my tongue was INCREDIBLY sore and my uvula was very swollen as well. Both are pretty standard and normal. I think whatever they clamp the tongue down with is very severe and I actually had vertical ridges along either side of the midline of my tongue after surgery. The tongue pain and swelling took about 5 days to go down and the uvula was more like a week to 10 days.

I ate Gerber baby food cereal several times a day. So easy to make - just put the flakes in a bowl with some warm water. Goes down very easy and fills the void. I also ate some custard (kind of like creme brulee) that my mother-in-law brought me. It was very rich but full of calories and went down easy. I also drank Ensure and Slimfast. Great for some calories, vitamins and protein. Protein is SO important to the healing process so you need to get in somehow. I know a lot of people make protein drinks from protein powder and it's pretty thin and easy to swallow. The Ensure and Slimfast didn't taste fantastic but I just chugged them at least once a day.

The hardest part of recovery is probably the scab time - which is usually around days 5-10. I had a lot of ear pain at this time, plus the throat pain and I was on Percocet. Even that only kept the pain just manageable but it was still bad.

Lexy seriously half the batter of this recovery is mental. No matter what pain level you are at, you have to force yourself to drink (especially) and eat. Cold felt very good the first week but by the second week warm tea and broths felt good to me as well. Whatever you can eat, eat. Anything and everything and just force it down even if you're in pain. The nutrition is going to help your healing.

Ice packs to the throat help a lot the first week to sooth and reduce swelling. If you get the referred ear pain, try heat. a hot water bottle or heating pad against your ears feels very good. And chewing gum - yes gum - actually helps with the ear pain and keep saliva flowing.

Hang in there. I do think you'll be back to work at 2 weeks. I went back exactly on my 2 week post-op date and I was fine. A little tired, but nothing major. Let me know how you're doing!

:L

Last edited by Administrator; 04-26-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2012, 07:40 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Apache Kristy HB User
Re: I have tons of adult tonsilectomy questions so please bear with me! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexylovexoxo View Post
Im 22 its the 4th day after my sergury, ive got some questions. Okay so the day of yea obviously i was in pain but i was more concerned with the swelling my tongue and uvula were dealing with! They are huge. Anyways, day of was okay, i made sure all thru the night id wake up every hour n drink half a water bottle to keep the sergical site moist. Ive only been able to eat baby food. I tried jello but its still a lil too solid for me. And popsicles, they are too syrupy they make my spit really thick and difficult to swallow. Ive gotten the hiccups everyday so far!!! Driving me crazy, anyways sorry im kind of a scatter brain. Im scheduled to go back to work on May 1st, 13days after my sergury. Im hoping this will be enough time. Okay so a few questions. What did you eat each day? Did u eat anything hot or warm, if you did by which day did u start eating these foods? I cant brush my teeth only the front cuz icant open my mouth that big any suggestions? When did your scabs fall off & how was that experience because im scared? And when did you feel back to normal? Oh also i ate some warm realy small cut up soup, and it got stuck any advice for that? Sorry about the book i wrote you guys lol. Just trying to find out as much as possible. Thanks for your replys in advance!!!!

First, i am 20 yrs old and on my day 10 after my tonsillectomy (i have written a full day to day blog on this site about my recovery, feel free to read). I found that the thick saliva was normal, just keep drinking plenty of water. I found that mashed potatoes or mac & cheese worked great! I was able to eat them after maybe my 5th day, maybe sooner (bad memory lol) and i still cant brush my teeth 100% but just do what u can. the scabs falling off is awkward and if falling off in big pieces (like mine did) can be a bit uncomortable and unsettling, but its not too bad once its over with. Im on day 10 and id say maybe around day 8 i was starting to feel back to normal. as for the soup getting stuck, so did mine. best advice i got is eat only the broth if u can, but if u just want to keep eating it, VERY soft hacking will get the pieces out or DRINKING LOTS OF WATER. always drink drink drink lots and lots, ull feel tons better. Orange Serbert and Italian ice worked well for me. also, try this! Take about 3 popsickles of ur choice (i use grape) and put them in a blender. pour in a good amount of juice (i use orange gatoraid, but apple juice works good too!) and make it into a slushi, then freeze until u want it! when u wanna eat it, microwave for 10-20 seconds. its so good!! i found that ice cream was a bit hard to eat because it seemed to coat my throat, making it uncomfortable and 'slimy' feeling. Best of luck tho! Also if you really want to try eating solid foods, do so but carefully! the more solid food you eat, the faster you will recover. (also prepare for weight loss if you cant eat solid food so much. so much water we drink, its like a water diet. i lost 25 pnds!!!!)

Closed Thread

Tags
tonsillectomy advice, tonsillectomy diet, tonsillectomy post op, tonsillectomy recovery, tonsillectomy scabs