It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
(male)

Fredric HB User
Question Ear Twitch/Spasm

I am 23 year old male. Three months ago I noticed that the inner part of my left ear began to twitch caused by outside noise. It's hard to explain what is sounds like but I can describe it as someone in my ear stepping in snow slowly, hearing the snow crunch in layers beneath their feet as they walk. If you don't know snow, it sounds like quickly pulsating waves that peaks at almost a crack sound at the same speed as an eye twitch. Along with it I can actually feel the vibrating very deep inside my inner ear like a blown out speaker in a car when too much sound is being produced.

Ever since i saw the first signs of it, it has gotten much worse and occurs all day long 24/7. Running water, the TV, peoples voices, birds chirping and even typing on this keyboard along with almost every other sound above a certain volume causes my inner left ear to freak out, like a mini ear earth quake that destroys anything I try to listen to. Very very low volume sounds(as in decibels) don't cause the problem. An example is I need to keep the TV at a 8 level out of a 100 on the volume. 9 or 10 would be too much and the sounds would cause this twitch. Weirdly enough my own voice does not cause the twitch no matter how loud I talk or yell.

Going to class was horrible, my professors voices pierce my ears creating this terrible sensation for hours and i actually felt sick afterward. I resulted in going to class with earplugs, lowering the sound so it doesn't happen but I always got weird looks from people and I missed a lot of what the teacher said so I'd have to get the notes from other students. My grades got hit hard from missing class and information. I can't have a conversation with people without pain. I've always loved music and I can't listen to it anymore.

My life is being ruined by this. On top of all this both my ears ring all the time now and I think this twitch has caused it. I have to wear earplugs all day, since I'm around sound all day. The earplugs make the ringing in my ear all the more noticeable. Recently I have found out that the twitch is also triggered when i cover one or both of my eyes with just one finger. My finger or hand can't be more then 6 inches from my eye, as I look passed it into the distance. This makes me think it's neurological.

I went to a ears nose and throat doctor. My hearing was perfect as in the ability to hear very quiet sounds of the hearing test. They said they might have to cut the muscle attaching to a bone in my ear but its unlikely that I have the disorder he was referring to, since he only saw one case of it in his career and it was an older man.

I got a MRI on my head they did not find anything. I went to my doctor who removed my 2 lower wisdom teeth about 2 months before any of these signs started showing up, thinking my jaw might be the problem. They said my jaw and teeth were fine. They did prescribe me a steroid(Methylprednisolone) to see if its an undetectable infection and a muscle relaxer to take at night to see if it would calm the muscle in my ear. Next they said i should try an antibiotic to see if that might help. So far after two days of the meds it has not gotten better.

I have an appointment with a neurology surgeon at the end of this month. I don't want to jump to surgery without fully understanding what is going on here. I need to fix this though because I'm 23 and too young to be effected by this, I need to get my life started before I lose my mind which is what I feel is happening. If you took out the time to read this I thank you from the bottom of my heart. If you have any information on this or similar problems please post. I'll gladly take any help I can get. Thank you again.

-Fredric

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
(female)

jenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB User
Re: Ear Twitch/Spasm

Hi, I am so sorry to hear you are going through this. Nobody should have to live this way.

It sounds like you have middle ear myoclonus -- it's like an eyelid twitch, except it's either your stapedial or tensor tympani muscle that is twitching. I also have/had this affliction. My right ear is triggered by human voices, and my left ear has had a few episodes triggered by touching the side of my face or rustling sheets at night (weird, I know).

Magnesium seems to help a lot. Mine is currently in remission; it's been comingand going since Oct 2010. I saw one of the nation's top ENTs about this problem (and another ear problem), and he felt it was caused by TMJD. I'm in splint therapy now, and have only had two very brief episodes of myoclonus since beginning to wear the splints. The splints help calm down the muscle overactivity in my face and jaw. Many of the ear and jaw nerves and muscles are "shared equipment," so if you have TMJD, it can manifest in ear symptoms.

Another thing to research is tonic tensor tympani syndrome.

I have read of people cured by the tendon surgery, and also people who were not happy with the results. It's best to explore all non-invasive therapies first, as the tendons, once cut, can't be repaired. They do function to dampen noise exposure.

Hope some of this has been of help. Good luck and don't let it get the best of you -- myo often burns itself out with time.

The Following User Says Thank You to jenni9033 For This Useful Post:
Fredric (10-08-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
(male)

david93 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredric View Post
I am 23 year old male. Three months ago I noticed that the inner part of my left ear began to twitch caused by outside noise. It's hard to explain what is sounds like but I can describe it as someone in my ear stepping in snow slowly, hearing the snow crunch in layers beneath their feet as they walk. If you don't know snow, it sounds like quickly pulsating waves that peaks at almost a crack sound at the same speed as an eye twitch. Along with it I can actually feel the vibrating very deep inside my inner ear like a blown out speaker in a car when too much sound is being produced.

Ever since i saw the first signs of it, it has gotten much worse and occurs all day long 24/7. Running water, the TV, peoples voices, birds chirping and even typing on this keyboard along with almost every other sound above a certain volume causes my inner left ear to freak out, like a mini ear earth quake that destroys anything I try to listen to. Very very low volume sounds(as in decibels) don't cause the problem. An example is I need to keep the TV at a 8 level out of a 100 on the volume. 9 or 10 would be too much and the sounds would cause this twitch. Weirdly enough my own voice does not cause the twitch no matter how loud I talk or yell.

Going to class was horrible, my professors voices pierce my ears creating this terrible sensation for hours and i actually felt sick afterward. I resulted in going to class with earplugs, lowering the sound so it doesn't happen but I always got weird looks from people and I missed a lot of what the teacher said so I'd have to get the notes from other students. My grades got hit hard from missing class and information. I can't have a conversation with people without pain. I've always loved music and I can't listen to it anymore.

My life is being ruined by this. On top of all this both my ears ring all the time now and I think this twitch has caused it. I have to wear earplugs all day, since I'm around sound all day. The earplugs make the ringing in my ear all the more noticeable. Recently I have found out that the twitch is also triggered when i cover one or both of my eyes with just one finger. My finger or hand can't be more then 6 inches from my eye, as I look passed it into the distance. This makes me think it's neurological.

I went to a ears nose and throat doctor. My hearing was perfect as in the ability to hear very quiet sounds of the hearing test. They said they might have to cut the muscle attaching to a bone in my ear but its unlikely that I have the disorder he was referring to, since he only saw one case of it in his career and it was an older man.

I got a MRI on my head they did not find anything. I went to my doctor who removed my 2 lower wisdom teeth about 2 months before any of these signs started showing up, thinking my jaw might be the problem. They said my jaw and teeth were fine. They did prescribe me a steroid(Methylprednisolone) to see if its an undetectable infection and a muscle relaxer to take at night to see if it would calm the muscle in my ear. Next they said i should try an antibiotic to see if that might help. So far after two days of the meds it has not gotten better.

I have an appointment with a neurology surgeon at the end of this month. I don't want to jump to surgery without fully understanding what is going on here. I need to fix this though because I'm 23 and too young to be effected by this, I need to get my life started before I lose my mind which is what I feel is happening. If you took out the time to read this I thank you from the bottom of my heart. If you have any information on this or similar problems please post. I'll gladly take any help I can get. Thank you again.

-Fredric
Hi there i have the same thing as you, i have an appointment with a neurologist soon after having an ent appointment. This is so frustrating to deal with, can you please right back if you have any success thank you.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:26 AM   #4
(male)

Fredric HB User

Well a lot has happened since my last post. I went to the doctor and after multiple tests he did not find any definitive diagnosis of what was wrong. He recommended getting the surgery and removing the muscles in the ear. He explained that is the only way of finding out if I have the muscle twitch tensor. I agreed to the surgery to remove the tensor and the stapedius muscle in my left ear. The surgery afterward wasn't painful but my tinnitus increased 100 fold. The doctor said it would go away as my hearing came back but its been over 2 months since my surgery and my hearing has not fully returned. It's sounds as though there's something blocking sound, similar to how it sounds when you get water stuck in your ear.

The main twitch/spasm in the left ear is gone though. Still i feel a flutter almost left there. The tinnitus(ringing) in that ear is completely deafening on top of the hearing loss. Obviously I'm very displeased with the surgery's results. Especially now that spasm/twitch has moved to my right ear. I think I should of tried using your methods first before I went with the surgery but there is no going back now. At the moment I'm stuck in depression, I don't go out to avoid noise and people. I'll try your methods for my right ear before i slice first this time and I'm going to try my hardest to get my life back to just being happy and productive.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:36 AM   #5
(male)

Fredric HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by david93 View Post
Hi there i have the same thing as you, i have an appointment with a neurologist soon after having an ent appointment. This is so frustrating to deal with, can you please right back if you have any success thank you.
I went for the surgery and disliked the results. The twitch/spasm is mostly gone but I still feel a flutter there. My hearing never fully returned in that ear. I also have terrible tinnitus in the left side. On top of that the twitch has moved to the right side. My advice would be to seek other methods before doing the surgery. Still I don't know what I should do for my right ear. Any help or feedback would of greatly appreciated on my end too. Thank you

The following user gives a hug of support to Fredric:
jenni9033 (10-08-2012)
Old 10-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #6
(female)

jenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB User

Frederic, I am so sorry to hear that the surgery did not produce the intended results. To worsen your T...that's just terrible. It makes me sad and angry to read. When did you get the surgery done? Could it still be healing?

My myo came out of remission after I last wrote, and it plagued me off and on during the summer. Out of the blue I'd be talking to people, and it would start thumping away, and I'd have to plug the ear (which looks stupid/weird) or leave the conversation (which looks stupid/weird).

Now it seems to be back in remission...hasn't acted up for three weeks or so. It's so unpredictable and upsetting to deal with it. At one point this summer, I asked my ENT if he did the surgery, and he said he didn't but that he knew at least two local surgeons he would trust with me. I didn't take him up on it...fear holds me back. I've just read too many posts from people who had it done and weren't cured.

It does seem like anxiety plays into it somehow. I just got back from a relaxing trip to France, so maybe it calmed down my muscles and put it into remission. Sometimes when I am in an argument or tense situation, I can feel the tensor tympani muscles in my middle ears clenching and making a rumbling noise. I wish I understood better how my tinnitus, the ear spasms, and the problems with my eustachian tubes feeling blocked are related. They all developed at roughly the same time...or within a few months of each other. That airline flight I took with blocked ears in December 2010 seems to be the final blow that sent me into chronic illness, and I have not been normal since.

Frederic, have you tried supplementing with magnesium for spasms, and also looked into the possibility of TMJD? These treatments are far less invasive. I also think there might be something to biofeedback...retraining the muscles not to react to sound. I haven't really explored that avenue yet.

Does yours stop if you wear an earplug in the ear to dampen sound? Mine stops completely if I plug my ear. Since I can still hear through an earplug, I think it's more of a reaction to a quality or loudness of sound rather than to sound itself.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
(male)

Moap9 HB User

I stumbled upon this site, and the original post of this thread, because I have the exact same thing going on in my left ear.

I can sympathize with you deeply. I am a composer, and music is my whole entire life. I can no longer work without this terrible sensation. It's been about 2 months now, and it came out of the blue. When I saw you describe it as stepping on snow I couldn't believe it, because that is the EXACT description I settled on after trying to find the way to best explain it.

I have also had a fullness feeling in my left ear. I have been taking over the counter decongestant, Afrin, and inhaling steam to try and clear out my head, because my ENT is thinking I'm having Eustachian tube problems.

I just took an allergy test on Monday, and it showed moderate allergy to dust mites and cockroaches. I have a follow up next week to see what to do from here.

Not sure if the OP will ever see this, I realize this thread is a few months old now. I want to thank you for reported back on your experience with surgery, and I hope beyond all hope that things have improved for you!

The following user gives a hug of support to Moap9:
TL81 (05-17-2013)
Closed Thread

Tags
ear spasm, sound in ear, sound sensitivity, twitching, vibrating