It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
(female)

CheeseonToast HB User
Tonsil Stones have returned nearly 1 year post tonsillectomy

I had a tonsillectomy last July at age 31. Ouch! My tonsils were a total nightmare since the age of 6. They were asymmetrical, the left side being much larger. I had constant strep/tonsillitis and had to excavate tonsil stones regularly. I had them out and naturally the tonsils were biopsied because of the asymmetry and the results revealed nothing more than just a crappy pair of tonsils. Goooooood riddance!

A few months back I noticed that the left side which was location of the offending tonsil had become a little lumpy. I went to my doctor, she looked at my throat and said it was completely normal. Call me a hypochondriac, but it didn't seem normal to me.

A month went by and not only were they still lumpy, but now there was a white spot on one of the lumps. I went back to my doctor and after a look at my throat and gland check I was told that my glands weren't swollen so there was no infection and that it was viral and would eventually run it's course. It didn't. I went back twice more seeing 2 different doctors and again: 'No infection'--'Glands aren't swollen'--'It's viral, it'll pass' blah blah blah.

Fastforward yet another month and I noticed that the original white spot now looked a lot like a whitehead. I grabbed a Q-tip and gently swiped at it. It came right off. I examined the end of the Q-tip only to discover that it was a tonsil stone! After nearly 2 decades of dealing with them, there was no mistaking it when I saw it.

In the place where the tonsil stone had come was a little hole with more white behind it. I've since extracted 4 more stones from it over the last few days. Now, there's no semblance of white behind it and the little lump is nearly flat. There are however 2 more little lumps and I'm wondering if they too are filled with stones.

I'm not entirely certain what this means. Has my ENT left behind enough tonsil tissue that nearly a year to the day more stones are forming? Perhaps the infection over the years on that side ran so deeply that the remnants are only now finally being expelled? Is it worth contacting my ent over?

Last edited by CheeseonToast; 06-18-2012 at 09:53 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2012, 04:50 AM   #2
(female)

CheeseonToast HB User
Re: Tonsil Stones have returned nearly 1 year post tonsillectomy

Nothing, huh?

Old 06-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
(female)

kw711 HB User
Re: Tonsil Stones have returned nearly 1 year post tonsillectomy

Hi. I'm getting a tonsillectomy in about two weeks for stones...yuck!

However, from over-browsing the internet and forums for information about tonsil stones, I heard of stories similar to yours-a tonsillectomy and then stones forming again - and I've heard people say that it is because unbeknownst to them, they had a partial tonsillectomy (intracapsular) instead of a full tonsillectomy, and apparently, even if a little bit of tonsil tissues are left, they can grow back? And that was why people were getting tonsil stones even after their tonsillectomies.

Call your doctor to find out if you indeed had a full or partial tonsillectomy.
Hope this helped.

Closed Thread

Tags
adult, tonsil stones, tonsillectomy, tonsillitis, tonsils