It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2012, 05:19 AM   #1
(male)

Bball92 HB User
Throat problems.

I'll be quick and give a quick rundown of my recent health.

To start off, I feel great. A little tired (and sore of course) from golfing the other day, but otherwise I feel pretty energetic.

In early May I went into the doctors for a strep test for a sore throat that wouldn't go away after a couple weeks. The strep test was negative but a Staph bacteria grew on the pallet and my doctor told me "Something grew on your strep test, you've had it for awhile so your body will probably fight it off but I suggest you take an antibiotic". So I went on a 10-day cycle of smd-tmp 800-160 or something along those lines (I may be wrong but I know there was a tmp in the medicine name!) I felt a lot better with little/no pain in my throat also just recently kicking a nasty caffeine habit. About a week or two later I started getting this random pinching feeling around my adam's apple on the right side constantly for 2 more weeks. I shunned it off as acid reflux but eventually was checked out by my doctor again. This time the doctor ordered another strep test but instead of waiting for the results instantly told me that it looked like Coxsackie A-16 (Hand, Foot and Mouth virus) with Herpaginas. Today my glands (for the first time since I first got sick) were swollen and tender to the touch.

I have three questions.

Is my glands finally becoming swollen a sign of me finally recovering?

Should I accept the diagnosis from my doctor after she took a quick 5-8 second peek to the back of my throat?

Also should I call my doctor about my strep test to find out what may really be going on and go from there?

Thank you in head of time for taking the time to read this and to give any insight. Ever since I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder 2 years ago I have been very careful with my health. But, I am trying to play this one out cool while still taking the necessary precautions to stay healthy! Thanks again.

Last edited by Bball92; 06-25-2012 at 05:21 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Throat problems.

When the doctor looked at your throat, she probably saw little bumps/blisters/ulcers suggestive of virus. Hand foot and mouth disease, a virus, also can cause lymph node swelling and little clear bumps on the palms of hands and soles of feet. It is self limited, usually resolving within a week. Exposure to kids increases your chance of getting it. I would call to get your strept result just to be thorough and reduce your anxiety about it. There is no treatment if it is hand, foot,etc. but antihistamines can help if itching is present on hand and foot lesions.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:46 PM   #3
(male)

Bball92 HB User

Should have added that I have no symptoms on my feet or hands whatsoever.

The only things that made her conclude that it was hand foot and mouth disease was that 3 little kids had it this week and that I had white spots on the back of my throat. I have had this condition for 2-3 weeks so I feel as though I was misdiagnosed. Also I am around no little kids at all.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-27-2012 at 01:11 AM.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

You might want to ask your Dr. if she would do a regular culture and sensitivity of your throat, which will identify any infection causing bacteria and which antibiotics will eradicate it. It is more than just to identify strept like the usual throat culture does. She can also culture for Candida (yeast) if it looks at all suspicious for that, especially if your throat itches, as yeast can cause white spots, and requires a completely different treatment than usual antibiotics.

Closed Thread