It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
(female)

LaurieJ31981 HB UserLaurieJ31981 HB User
My Positive Tonsillectomy Adenoidectomy story

I had surgery on 6/20/12 and although I am not completely healed yet, I figured I'd share my first 9 days, and update until full recovery...

Surgery Day-
Had to be at the hospital at 815am, Went into surgery around 10am I believe. After surgery I was woken up, and afraid to take that first swallow, but I did it and yes it was sore but mostly felt like a frog in my throat. I was able to talk, the Dr came over and said I did very very well, and that my tonsils were very large so he wouldn't be surprised if I wasn't in pain for atleast 3 weeks.

Home from surgery- The only thing that bothered me was my Uvula because it was soooo swollen I kept gagging on it, I had to lay down to not feel it, if I sat up it's all i felt. I went to bed, and I did wake up gagging bad got sick which was not fun luckily it was just dry heaving mostly and gagging, was sooo afraid i hurt my throat but no blood.

Day 1- Because I didn't know what to expect I think it felt worse then it was. I have a hard time with liquid medicines and I was only taking Tylenol I can't take the hard stuff makes me sick, I am strong don't need that stuff. Anyway like I said I had liquids so I went all day 1 with maybe one small sip of the Tylenol. had a few popsicles but I found that they gave me a lot of mucus and i adv to stay away from anything that causes that atleast for a few days. Pain was tolerable... DON'T FORGET LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTSSSSS OF WATER!!

Day 2- Pain was minimal, however I quickly learned how to take the tylenol lol. I'd wake up in the middle of the night in a lot of pain but instead of taking a full 2 TBSP i took 1 and it worked just fine. Sleeping was terrible stayed propped up with a few pillows but felt like i couldn't breathe because the Uvula was in the way and my nose was completely stuffy. Food on this day I did try some potatoes but only got about 3 bites down. DON'T FORGET LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTSSSSS OF WATER!!

Day 3,4,5- These days the only time I had pain was when i woke up... Foods I tried Oodles of Noodles which was the only thing I could eat the whole bowl of, potatoes, for me they just didn't work kind of burned my tongue. I tried scrambled eggs which was a no go too, burned. I had some egg salad that worked and I had about 3 eggs. I also drink carnation breakfast drinks for the nutrients and they have helped a lot to fill me in the morning and make me feel less weak. Up to Day 5 was the worst for me, however VERY Tolerable. DON'T FORGET LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTSSSSS OF WATER!!

Day 6,7,8,9.. all these days were the same. The only difference is, day 8 and 9 I woke up both days with 0 pain, no need for tylenol, nothing. Still drink my breakfast drinks, I was able to eat 2 bowls on Chicken noodle soup on day 7 and 8 which was amazing, and home made even better. Day 8 I had mushy mac and cheese which went down perfectly fine. I eat a lot of pudding, been done with the popsicles for a few days now just get sick of them after a while... and again DON'T FORGET LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTSSSSS OF WATER!! lol... I can't stress that enough... drink, drink drink.

Thus far my experience has been more positive then I imagined, I came on here and other forums and sometimes we need someones positive story to out weigh the negative ones even just for one person to gain confidence from it. I have many friends that had bad experiences, but you can't let this take over, you need to push yourself to get food and liquids down because it's only going to help your recovery. I'm sure it can be awful for some and things don't go as smooth, I am extremely grateful that I didn't experience that and the light is very bright at the end of my tunnel now. Yes I didn't think i'd get there from Day 1 to 5... but I am now on day 9 and things getting better and better everyday. I won't forget though that this is not over, and I still have plenty of scabs that need to come off and I know my throat will be raw, but even if I get some pain, i don't think I will back track all that much just because I already have 0 pain... oh and PS My nose is finally not stuffy after 12 weeks!! it's amazing, now I just need my ears to unblock and i will be 100% again... all in all I know this was worth it for me, i have OSA and i can already breathe better my throat is soooo much bigger now, before i had almost no space inbetween both tonsils..

Alright now that I shared my story, I will be back to post days 10-14... Post op is July 5th.

The Following User Says Thank You to LaurieJ31981 For This Useful Post:
Danidoodle (07-01-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
(female)

Re: My Positive Tonsillectomy Adenoidectomy story

Day 10- So far so good... I was able to eat a whole bowl of chicken salad last night and this morning I had some scrambled eggs and roast beef hash.. Feels good to finally get full. and again 0 pain, not even a little discomfort. Got a humidifier last night, and it made my mouth less dry which is good... Keeping my fingers crossed that I am just about at a full recovery

Old 06-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
(male)

lightzoo HB User

Hey Laurie,

Thank you for sharing your positive story!!! I'm currently on Day 5 and I'm feeling great, for some reason I've had an extremely positive experience as well. I haven't had a need to take painkillers (oxycodone) since day 2. It only hurts when I try swallowing, but its not too bad. Hopefully Day 6 to 9 will be just as positive for me, as it was for you.

I guess the only negative experience for me thus far has been the food! ARRGGHHHH...

Old 06-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightzoo View Post
Hey Laurie,

Thank you for sharing your positive story!!! I'm currently on Day 5 and I'm feeling great, for some reason I've had an extremely positive experience as well. I haven't had a need to take painkillers (oxycodone) since day 2. It only hurts when I try swallowing, but its not too bad. Hopefully Day 6 to 9 will be just as positive for me, as it was for you.

I guess the only negative experience for me thus far has been the food! ARRGGHHHH...
Glad to hear you are doing well! The turning point for me was day 5, everything after had been a breeze. Just eat what you can, it thins out the scabs, keep your throat moist also. Oodles of noodles worked perfect, just crush them up before cooking them... kept me full. eat some pudding, thats what I rotated for awhile. Potatoes are ok but for me, it wasn't enough and it was harder to get down... By day 7 you should be able to try something with a lil more substance, chicken noodle soup just be careful with the chicken. Mac and cheese over cooked till its really soft.. i am at the point where i feel like i can try anything, I won't but i want to lol...

Keep me updated!

Old 07-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
(female)

Day 11- so far same as the past 4 days. I managed to eat a bowl of soup with a turkey sandwich last night.. still some scabs left so i am just waiting for the rest to come off, but weirdly enough I have no added pain when they do fall off, i notice my throat gets a little more red in those areas but no pain. Just going to keep drinking water, and eating what I can. I have a concert to go to tonight, hopefully its not to much for me. I havent been out of the house in 11 days, it's time...

Have a good day everyone, and stay positive!

Old 07-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
(female)

dls1968 HB User

Laurie,

Thank you sooooo much for your positive blog I don't read to many of the so it is refreshing to read. Do you mind me asking your age? Only because I am 43 and will be having a tonsillectomy in the next couple of months and I read the older you are the tougher the recovery period is....good luck at your post-op appt on 7/5

Old 07-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
(male)

lightzoo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieJ31981 View Post
Glad to hear you are doing well! The turning point for me was day 5, everything after had been a breeze. Just eat what you can, it thins out the scabs, keep your throat moist also. Oodles of noodles worked perfect, just crush them up before cooking them... kept me full. eat some pudding, thats what I rotated for awhile. Potatoes are ok but for me, it wasn't enough and it was harder to get down... By day 7 you should be able to try something with a lil more substance, chicken noodle soup just be careful with the chicken. Mac and cheese over cooked till its really soft.. i am at the point where i feel like i can try anything, I won't but i want to lol...

Keep me updated!
Yeah, things are going great, the pain slightly decreased but its definitely still there. My right side seems to be healing a lot faster than my left side. Other then that everything seems to be going well. How are you doing?

Old 07-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dls1968 View Post
Laurie,

Thank you sooooo much for your positive blog I don't read to many of the so it is refreshing to read. Do you mind me asking your age? Only because I am 43 and will be having a tonsillectomy in the next couple of months and I read the older you are the tougher the recovery period is....good luck at your post-op appt on 7/5
You are very welcome.. I am 31... and yes it is a tougher recovery. My Dr warned me that I would be in pain for atleast 3 weeks because my tonsils were very very large. But the pain only really lasted till Day 7, and I have been pain free since, and on Day 12 now. Follow the instructions, seems like every Dr is different and want you to do different things. What worked for me is taking it easy, stay in bed for the first 10 days, get up to do a few things here and there but right back to resting. Let others help you out if you have that option. Oodles of noodles stock up on them, they are quick easy and very easy to get down you can try those starting day 3. Popsicles are good for the first 2 days, but they caused mucus for me i dealt with it, just have a lot of tissues on hand, easier to get it out of your mouth that way. It'll be fine and I am always around if you need someone to talk to once you have it done

The following user gives a hug of support to LaurieJ31981:
dls1968 (07-03-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #9
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightzoo View Post
Yeah, things are going great, the pain slightly decreased but its definitely still there. My right side seems to be healing a lot faster than my left side. Other then that everything seems to be going well. How are you doing?
Im doing GREAT! On Day 12 and still NO pain, went to a concert last night had a really good time... hoping to start trying some normal foods soon have a cook out to go to on Wed...

You'll get there soon, almost the turning point

Old 07-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #10
(female)

Day 13- Never thought i'd almost be at the 2 weeks mark, seemed to take forever to get here, but it's here and I feel like I am back to my normal self. Still have some scabs left so I can't say i am 100% yet, but as far as pain goes, nothing at all, not even a little discomfort. I am talking a lot more now, still sound nasally and like i have a small frog in my throat but its soooo much better then a few days ago. My Uvula is only slightly swollen, never thought it would start to go back to normal size, and im excited that it is. I haven't attempted any other foods, besides the same ones Ive been eating since day 3, just to afraid to bring on any pain. However I will be at a cook out tomorrow so I do plan on having a hotdog, potato and macaroni salad . After my Post op on Thur, if my Dr says I can go back to normal food, Pizza is on the menu for dinner! lol.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #11
(female)

Day 14.. I survived the first 2 weeks On the menu tonight is PIZZA!! Plans for a cookout got cancelled so the next best thing is what I have wanted since day 1 lol... Hopefully my throat thinks that ok, still some scabs down there, but I think as long as I chew it up good it should be ok, I am staying away from pizza with sauce and getting an alfredo pizza.

Almost back to normal.. Back to work tomorrow and then Post op appt at 3pm

Old 07-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #12
(female)

dls1968 HB User

Enjoy your pizza tonight!!! Good luck at your postoperative appt tomorrow and let us know how you make out

Old 07-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #13
(female)

Post Op day and first day back to work...

Work was ok, felt tired juust from being so lazy for 14 days lol. Post Op appt went well, Throat is healing fine. My Dr is a very serious quiet man, He could not stop talking and smiling when I told him I have had no pain in a week. Pat on the back for him doing a good job, and for me, taking care of myself and taking all the right steps to healing properly. Of course I am still not quite there yet, still some scabs left, and i still sound funny when i talk, My Uvula is still slightly swollen... Oh and for lunch I ate a cheeseburger

I'll keep updating until I am 100%

Old 07-06-2012, 07:47 AM   #14
(female)

dls1968 HB User

Laurie,

So glad your throat is healing well...the doctor did a very good job Hope you enjoyed your cheeseburger...I am seeing my ENT on Tuesday and I will see what he has in store for me...I have had a nasty tonsil infection since April which is resistent to antibiotics and he wants me to have them out...just need to figure out when Have a great weekend

Daria

Old 07-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #15
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dls1968 View Post
Laurie,

So glad your throat is healing well...the doctor did a very good job Hope you enjoyed your cheeseburger...I am seeing my ENT on Tuesday and I will see what he has in store for me...I have had a nasty tonsil infection since April which is resistent to antibiotics and he wants me to have them out...just need to figure out when Have a great weekend

Daria
The quicker you can just get it done and over with, the better. One less thing to worry about, and to be done with the tonsil infections. Let me know how it goes.

Closed Thread