It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #1
(female)

Lunara HB User
Unhappy Tonsil stones/bad breath/tongue coating

Hello,

For years I have been battling bad breath that I think is due to tonsil stones and PND/throat mucus. I brush my teeth religiously and scrape a ton of white/yellow gunk off of my tongue every morning and night, but my breath is still awful. I'm wondering if I should get a tonsillectomy and maybe sinus surgery to help with this? I don't know what the tongue coating is from, but I get it all day every day and within a few minutes of scraping it off, it comes back, along with the bad breath. I've taken antihistamines/mucinex, but to no avail. I'm not sure what else I can do. Please, someone tell me that surgery cured them! Thank you.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
(female)

DiamondEyes2230 HB UserDiamondEyes2230 HB User
Re: Tonsil stones/bad breath/tongue coating

Hi there. I know EXACTLY what you are going through. I am 25 and have had bad breath for 4 years now, and it's been HELL. For the longest time I thought it was my teeth or gums, because I had cavities. Well after getting the cavities filled and getting a couple of bad teeth pulled, the odor still remained. So of course I became even more frustrated and depressed over it. Just a couple months ago I was doing some research online about bad breath and came across someone who mentioned how they had horrible breath for awhile and went to their ENT. Long story short she was told she had chronic cryptic tonsillitis, she needed her tonsils out. Got them out, and POOF, no more bad breath. SOo I went and scheduled an appointment with an ENT last week, I explained my symptoms to her (bad breath, bad taste, sore throats on and off, white chunks that get stuk in my tonsils). She diagnosed me with chronic cryptic tonsillitis..and that I would need a tonsilectomy to get rid of all these symptoms. As nervous as I am to have this surgery, I'm also super excited, because this may be THE END of my bad breath! My surgery is scheduled for tomorrow morning, and will let you know how it goes, and hopefully will come back with some good news. Have you not scheduled an appointment with an ENT?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2012, 01:35 AM   #3
(female)

Lunara HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondEyes2230 View Post
Hi there. I know EXACTLY what you are going through. I am 25 and have had bad breath for 4 years now, and it's been HELL. For the longest time I thought it was my teeth or gums, because I had cavities. Well after getting the cavities filled and getting a couple of bad teeth pulled, the odor still remained. So of course I became even more frustrated and depressed over it. Just a couple months ago I was doing some research online about bad breath and came across someone who mentioned how they had horrible breath for awhile and went to their ENT. Long story short she was told she had chronic cryptic tonsillitis, she needed her tonsils out. Got them out, and POOF, no more bad breath. SOo I went and scheduled an appointment with an ENT last week, I explained my symptoms to her (bad breath, bad taste, sore throats on and off, white chunks that get stuk in my tonsils). She diagnosed me with chronic cryptic tonsillitis..and that I would need a tonsilectomy to get rid of all these symptoms. As nervous as I am to have this surgery, I'm also super excited, because this may be THE END of my bad breath! My surgery is scheduled for tomorrow morning, and will let you know how it goes, and hopefully will come back with some good news. Have you not scheduled an appointment with an ENT?
Hi DiamondEyes,

That's funny, I'll be 25 next month! I did see an ENT over a year ago and he said the same thing: I have cryptic tonsils that need to be removed. At the time I didn't have insurance so I couldn't afford the surgery, and in the meantime I was hoping to find some other reason for the odor and mucus layer on my tongue. Do you have that too? I am thinking of scheduling an appointment for another evaluation with a different ENT since I now have insurance and could go through with the surgery if I need to. I was waiting for some replies from this thread first, though, to be honest! Haha. I also have an upcoming allergy appointment to find out if a lot of this mucus and PND is from allergies. The breath is my main complaint...it's just constant, and no amount of brushing/flossing/mouthwash does ANYTHING. And if I eat something stinky (like onions) I have chronic onion breath for, I swear, an entire week. It's like the odors stick to my tonsils/stones and just don't go away for a long time. I can never eat onions! It's horrible, because I like onions...lol.

Anyway, enough of my rambling...I'm excited for your surgery, good luck and let me know how it goes!

Old 07-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
(female)

Hey girl. I jut got home from surgery. I am having some discomfort but not to where I can't handle it. I know in the next few days te pain will pick up :-/. Ok so I can't tell if my breath is still bad, I'm kinda out of it now due to anestesia, but I will suret say that I do not have that nasty taste in my mouth that I constantly had before. So fingers are crossed here that that's a good sign my bad breath is gone! We'll see! Anyway I also had a coating on my tounge but that was due to the constant mucus build up from the PND. My Dr. Told me that the constant flow of PND was collecting in my tonsils where there I already lits of nasty bacteria, so it was only contributing to my bad breath. Now that the tonsils are gone the pND isnt going to be able to collect anywhere. I have to continue to take my Zyrtec which helps in drying up the PND, it works wonders. But yeah my PND is from my seasonal allergies...when fall time hits it should be gone. Anyway I'll keep you posted about my recovery and let you know if there is a change in my breath....because like you, that was my main complaint. Ok well take care, I'm praying for the both of us!

The following user gives a hug of support to DiamondEyes2230:
Lunara (07-07-2012)
Old 07-07-2012, 01:39 AM   #5
(female)

Lunara HB User

Hey, glad your surgery went well! I work in a hospital lab and today I saw some tonsils that had been extracted from the day's surgeries...I swear, one set were the size of walnuts!! How is your pain level? Did you get your adenoids out too, or just the tonsils? What method of surgery was performed, if you know? I'm wondering if insurance will cover any of the surgery if the complaint is 'bad breath' and 'sore throat.' If you don't mind my asking, did you run into any trouble getting coverage for your surgery, or are you self-pay?

Thanks again, and I hope you feel better!

The following user gives a hug of support to Lunara:
DiamondEyes2230 (07-07-2012)
Old 07-07-2012, 06:58 AM   #6
(female)

Thanks! The pain after surgery yesturday and today is a 7 on a scale of 1-10 and that's without meds..the liquid lortab is my best friend right now. I only had my tonsils out, when you're an adult your adenoids atrophy/shrink so they shouldn't cause problems. Usually ENT's will take out either one or the other unless absolutely necessary. She used the coblation method which is the safest and least painful technique, and healing is faster. My insurance covered the surgery, I'm on Medicaid..had I paid out of pocket it would have cost me over $3,000 and I do not have that kind of money. I'll be completely honest and say that I had to exaggerate my symptoms to my ENT. I told her that I have recurrent throat infections for the last 3 years that antibiotics didn't help, had strep a lot as a child, snoring, bad breath (obviously), and the white little chunks that get stuck in the tonsils. Really all you need to do is mention having recurrent infections such as tonsillitis and strep, like 4-5 times in the last year. I'm pretty sure they will tell you that you need your tonsils out in order to rid your symptoms. Insurance should cover it if it's for constant infection in the tonsils, it can become life threatening if they don't come out. My little sister almost died because she had a bad acute tonsilitis infection In her tonsils, came out of nowhere, and her airway was completely closed off..emergency surgery was needed to get her tonsils out. You like me have cryptic tonsils and that over time can become life threatening. Seriously say what you have to say in order to get your ENT to say you need a tonsilectomy.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
(female)

Lunara HB User

How are you feeling today? Any worse? Hope the pain isn't too bad! How much time are you giving yourself off from work (if you work)? I'm seriously considering tonsillectomy, so I'm making an appointment with the ENT tomorrow. When I was on Medicaid, they wouldn't cover my wisdom teeth removal and I thought that was ridiculous since they could get infected and cause tons of problems. I had to pay completely out of pocket for that one, it was $1500. I'm glad your surgery was covered! I'll exaggerate my symptoms also...the ENT won't 'check' to see if I've had antibiotics or other doc appts for that purpose, will they? I could always say it was virus-caused I guess. I do get sore throats and feel like my tonsils are large and it's hard to breathe sometimes when my allergies also flare up and I have tons of mucus in my throat. Anyway, I'll make an appointment tomorrow and we'll see how it goes! I hope your recovery continues smoothly.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:40 PM   #8
(female)

missspring HB User

I have had the exact same problem for as long as I can remember. My dad did, too, and at age 53 got his tonsils out. It cured everything.

I am 20 and just got them out 7 days ago. I'm hoping it will cure my problems, too, my ENT said it will.

It is an extremely painful surgery, but well worth the week of pain for a lifetime of good breath and no more nasty little smelly tonsil stones.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:53 AM   #9
(female)

Lunara HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by missspring View Post
I have had the exact same problem for as long as I can remember. My dad did, too, and at age 53 got his tonsils out. It cured everything.

I am 20 and just got them out 7 days ago. I'm hoping it will cure my problems, too, my ENT said it will.

It is an extremely painful surgery, but well worth the week of pain for a lifetime of good breath and no more nasty little smelly tonsil stones.
Hi Missspring,
Thanks for the reply! Did the ENT take your adenoids out, too? I just saw the ENT and scheduled my tonsillectomy, and he's going to also take the adenoids. My surgery won't be until August, but I'm excited to be able to breathe again and not have bad breath! Please let me know when you're healed up if this cured you. Thanks again!

Old 07-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #10
(male)

Nat EL HB User

Hi Lunara,
First confirm the presence of tonsil stones, if you suspect these to be the reason for BB.

Alternatively, it is also possible that clogged intestines be reason for foul breath. This is simple to treat. Take a teaspoonful of a good quality fiber (psyllium husk, etc) with 2 glasses of water (about 500 ml) on empty stomach (in the morning). Repeat this in the evening (before dinner or before going to bed). Fiber helps clean the system. Continue for 3 days. Then, you may take fiber once or twice a week.

In the meantime. ensure that your food gives you at least 30 gm fiber daily.

I hope this helps

Wish you well
Nat El

Old 08-07-2012, 01:52 AM   #11
(female)

Lunara HB User

Thanks Nat El,

Yes, I'm pretty sure the tonsils are the root of the problem. I will try the fiber though and see if it helps.

DiamondEyes and Misspring, have either of you found that the tonsillectomy helped your symptoms? Mine is scheduled for Friday morning. I'm scared that the pain will be really bad. How long was it until you could eat solid food?

Old 10-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #12
(female)

Unhappy0ne HB User

Hi Lunara,

how's going on. Have you done your surgery already? Please share what happened now to you. Are the bb cured after tonsillectomy? pls reply. thanks so much.

-Unhappy0ne

Old 10-31-2012, 06:23 PM   #13
(female)

Lunara HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unhappy0ne View Post
Hi Lunara,

how's going on. Have you done your surgery already? Please share what happened now to you. Are the bb cured after tonsillectomy? pls reply. thanks so much.

-Unhappy0ne
Hi Unhappy0ne,

I did have my tonsils out (what a crappy experience!) and I still have bad breath. The tonsillectomy DID cure whatever smell was coming from my tonsils, but I still have the constant tongue coating and bad breath if I don't chew gum. I think my bb may be related to dry mouth, but there's not much I can do about it. Even if I drink enough water, I still have the tongue coating. I just don't know what to do anymore. Good luck to you!

The following user gives a hug of support to Lunara:
Adrian82 (11-07-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #14
(female)

Adrian82 HB User

Hi Luna,
Your white coating on tongue could be off post nasal drip that accumulates on your tongue when you sleep and thats probably what makes you have bad breath. If you scrap the white film on you tongue and has an odor , that's mostly where the odor is coming from and causing you to have bb.

Use an over-the-counter antihistamine or decongestant to reduce the mucus production in your nose and throat.

Also use a nasal irrigation kit , 2-3 times a day .

Old 11-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #15
(female)

Hair whisperer HB User

Hmm....could be candida. Explains the coating on your tongue and the halitosis. Best regards.

Closed Thread