It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
(female)

MommyMandi HB User
Friday the 13th Tonsilectomy

So, I had my tonsilectomy this morning. I'm 26 years old
I could not sleep at all last night, tossing and turning and thinking of everything I needed to prepare before surgery (we have 4 kids and my husband couldn't take much time off so our moms are helping this week).

Before we left home I was to take a shower with hibiclense (sp?), that was really the only prep, no food/drink after midnight. We had to be to the hospital for 8:30am, some slightly funny moments (I'm breastfeeding and they said no bra because of the wire clasps, well when they did my IV I started leaking and soaked my gown so we bandaged nursing pads to my body!). My veins kept colapsing whenever they'd try for the IV, but finally everything was ready. I'll note that the anesthesiologist came and talked to me and said I could nurse my son right away when I got home if I wanted. None of the meds were too dangerous to breastfeed with. This was a relief since our baby is not a huge fan of the bottle.
They brought me back to surgery around 10:30 I believe? I know it was after 10am. They gave me the versed just before I left my 'holding' room and I don't really remember much after that. I vaugely remember being in the OR but more in a sense that I was aware I was there but I couldn't even tell you what it looked like. LOL Next thing I know I'm waking up in recovery. I was pleasantly surprised that I was in very little pain. Very slight sore, scratchy throat. I felt like I needed to clear my throat and cough, which wasn't too bad. I asked for water right away but they'd only give me ice chips so I sucked on those for a while. After a few minutes they moved me to short stay and I drank 4 or 5 cups of water (I've read to drink, drink, drink no matter what), had some jello and I went to the bathroom. They sent me home around 1pm.

I've been home about 3 hours, I took my first dose of Lortab right when we got home (wasn't in that much pain, but I'd rather not let it get bad). I ate some mashed potatoes with sour cream and have been drinking water and keeping ice chips in my mouth pretty much constantly. I cuddled with all my kids and am overall feeling pretty good, though I'm aware that it will get worse before better. I have to say I'm pleased with how it's going so far. I have had some bleeding, I don't think it's a lot but I can feel it going down my throat, I gargled some ice water and it stopped but I think I may have to do it again. I'll keep this post updated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
(female)

LaurieJ31981 HB UserLaurieJ31981 HB User
Re: Friday the 13th Tonsilectomy

Glad everything went smoothly and to eat potatoes already? awesome! lol. Potatoes didn't work for me, I lived on Oodles of noodles from day 3 and on...

keep us updated!

Old 07-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
(female)

MommyMandi HB User

Okay so what U thought was fluid going down my throat seems to actually just be my uvula? It's super swollen and making me gag, it's irritating and I think it's going to make sleeping tough.
I ate within hours of getting my wisdom teeth out too :-) I don't do well with an empty stomach so I figured as long as I'm feeling okay I might as well try to get something down. Right now I'm focusing on ice, Minute Maid juice bars have been wonderful

Old 07-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
(female)

MommyMandi HB User

Sorry about the typos, I don't have the energy to go back and edit toight

Old 07-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyMandi View Post
Okay so what U thought was fluid going down my throat seems to actually just be my uvula? It's super swollen and making me gag, it's irritating and I think it's going to make sleeping tough.
I ate within hours of getting my wisdom teeth out too :-) I don't do well with an empty stomach so I figured as long as I'm feeling okay I might as well try to get something down. Right now I'm focusing on ice, Minute Maid juice bars have been wonderful
Your Uvula will stay swollen for awhile, I am on Day 23 and its just now finally going back to normal. My worst nights for sleeping because of it was days 1-4 or so... I woke up a lot, not being able to breath... I will warn you, I hope it doesnt happen, but my first night. My uvula was sooo swollen I mean like literally down the back of my throat and I had so much mucus that I woke up and threw up, nothing in my tummy so luckily it wasnt as bad as it could have been. I had some blood come up but it was mostly old blood from the surgery and nothing after.. That was the only time i got sick though... The next few days, staying in bed and laying down will help with the gagging feeling. As soon as I stood up is when I could feel the Uvula...

any questions, i'm always around

The Following User Says Thank You to LaurieJ31981 For This Useful Post:
MommyMandi (07-13-2012)
Old 07-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
(female)

MommyMandi HB User

Yeah, I almost threw up twice because of it so far, but thankfully did not. It's not so bad right now and I'm laying down so maybe it'll just force me to take it easy, which probably isn't all bad.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
(female)

Quote:
Yeah, I almost threw up twice because of it so far, but thankfully did not. It's not so bad right now and I'm laying down so maybe it'll just force me to take it easy, which probably isn't all bad.
For your first 10 days, stay in bed as much as possible...

The problem is, so many different Dr's give different instructions... but what worked for me, and kept me pain free after 1 week, is keeping it easy... bed, sleep, water water water, soft foods, and repeat the process... for the first 10 days... the first 7 all you wanna do is lay down and rest anyway.. but day 11 I got up and went to a concert lol.. and have been up and going since.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:51 PM   #8
(female)

MommyMandi HB User

Spoke too soon. I think I waited a little too long to gargle ice water earlier (wasn't sure I was bleeding and was afraid to spit) I've thrown up old, dark, clotty blood 6 times in the last 4 hours. Not the funnest experience and I don't think my stomach is tolerating the pain meds well.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #9
(female)

Quote:
Spoke too soon. I think I waited a little too long to gargle ice water earlier (wasn't sure I was bleeding and was afraid to spit) I've thrown up old, dark, clotty blood 6 times in the last 4 hours. Not the funnest experience and I don't think my stomach is tolerating the pain meds well.
don't gargle, just let the water and ice chip rest in the back on your throat... switch to liquid tylenol, i couldnt take the percocet they prescribed it made me sick... liquid tylenol worked great for me... and it wont upset your stomach. Hope the throwing up stops... get a flashlight and keep and eye on the back of your throat watch for any bleeding...

let me know how you are doing...

Old 07-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
(female)

MommyMandi HB User

The bleeding was stopped by last night, I just think all the blood from earlier in the day combined with the meds wasn't a good combo. No more bleeding today and I'm actually feeling fairly well. Better than I was expecting at least. I was worried because I didn't stop throwing up until 5am, seemed like from 9 pm on I was throwing up every 2 hours. I've had some cream of wheat and more potatoes today, which I think has really helped! Still drinking water like it's going out of style!

BTW- Essure clear is awful!

Old 07-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #11
(female)

Quote:
The bleeding was stopped by last night, I just think all the blood from earlier in the day combined with the meds wasn't a good combo. No more bleeding today and I'm actually feeling fairly well. Better than I was expecting at least. I was worried because I didn't stop throwing up until 5am, seemed like from 9 pm on I was throwing up every 2 hours. I've had some cream of wheat and more potatoes today, which I think has really helped! Still drinking water like it's going out of style!

BTW- Essure clear is awful!
Sounds awful lol, I stocked up on Carnation breakfast drinks... Just make sure you wait to have dairy until maybe tomorrow it causes a lot of mucus but if you can handle that, id say drink it. What worked for me with the mucus is wiping it out of my mouth with tissues...

have you had any popsicles or ice chips?

Old 07-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #12
(female)

MommyMandi HB User

Yep, Popsicles and ice chips both, I've actually found the potatoes very soothing, which surprised me a bit. I ate enough today where I braved the lortab again and I'm feeling pretty good. I can tell my throat is getting more sore, especially after I napped this afternoon but I think I need to push the liquids some more. TMI but I've been aiming for clear pee, which it was yesterday but got some color back today, not much but I have goals. Lol

Old 07-15-2012, 04:47 AM   #13
(female)

MommyMandi HB User

Much better night last night! I ate 3 times yesterday and set my alarm for meds. My throat is definitely sore but I think I'm doing pretty good overall, we'll see what the next few days bring but I'm optimistic.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:24 AM   #14
(female)

Quote:
Much better night last night! I ate 3 times yesterday and set my alarm for meds. My throat is definitely sore but I think I'm doing pretty good overall, we'll see what the next few days bring but I'm optimistic.
That's awesome! The pain will decrease over the next week or so if you are doing this well with eating and drinking.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #15
(female)

dls1968 HB User

So glad you are feeling better...I'm having a tonsillectomy on 8/17 and am extremely nervous...thanks for the tip about setting an alarm for meds! I know this is a stupid question, but where do the ice chips come from? Do you just buy a bag of ice and chop at it?

Closed Thread