It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
(female)

shely HB User
Do I have tonsil stones or cancer?

I had a swollen right lymph node a month ago right under my jaw, went on 2 weeks of antibiotics and the swelling went away. Now, for the past 4 days, I feel like theres something stuck in my throat constantly. I pressed my right tonsil with a cotton swab and managed to get a few tiny "stones" out, but I still feel some pressure in my right ear and the feeling hasnt gone away. The stones weren't completely white (they were sort of grey) and broke apart pretty easily. Now my throat is sore and I have a horse voice. I'm REALLY scared I have cancer and I've been crying all night.

Could there be more stones stuck inside my tonsil that I can't get at or see? Or are these signs of throat cancer? I'm thinking of just going to the hospital today to get it looked at but I'm almost scared to find out.

Another issue: I'm getting my wisdom teeth out in 4 days. My right wisdom tooth erupted and my dentist thinks thats why my right lymph node was swollen infected in the first place. Now I'm worried if I get them taken out my throat will swell up and kill me or something. Should I cancel?

I'm 21 years old, I smoke and vaporize cannabis daily and I don't drink. I eat really healthy and I'm not on any other drugs. I think I'm in fairly good health. Please tell me this isn't what I think it is.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
(female)

shely HB User
Re: Do I have tonsil stones or cancer?

I feel it the most when I burp, and I have have had a lot of acid reflux lately.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Do I have tonsil stones or cancer?

Because you are so young, throat cancer is very unlikely. It generally appears in people over 50. Tonsil stones are much much more common. Also, acid reflux can cause throat irritation.

There's no reason any of this should cause a problem with the wisdom tooth extraction. Fatal throat swelling is caused by anaphylaxis, not by sore throats--and oral surgeons keep medicine to deal with that sort of thing anyway.

So, there are three possible problems here, acid reflux, wisdom teeth, and tonsil stones. Any of them can cause discomfort and swollen lymph node. The teeth are about to be dealt with. Next, you can make an appointment with a doctor to look at the tonsils. They might need to come out eventually.

Closed Thread