It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
(female)

Sandrachew HB User
Tonsilectomy

Hello, im 20 years old and I just got my tonsils removed and wanted to share my experience with eve ryone.

Day one: I went to the surgical center and it took forever to check me in. I signed some ppers, then they took me back to change into a gown and socks. Which I didnt like cause I like to wear underwear and they made me take it all off! So finally after waiting again the nurse comes in and tries to put the iv in three times and it doesn't work. So she puts it in my hand and gives me fluids before the anesthesia. I say goodbye to my mom and they made me walk to the room and last down and as soon as I lay down the doctor goes this is gonna burn a little bit. The anesthesia burned so bad going through my veins I thought he broke my wrist! The nurse put a mask over my face and that is all I remember tilli woke up. At first I was so drowsy I didnt understand what was going on. Then they kept giving me pain medicine through the iv and when I actually woke up they told me to drink some more pain medicine. I tried to drink it and I couldnt because my uvula and throat swelled up so bad I was coughing for air. They had to put me on oxygen. About 2 hours later, they told me to put my clothes on and they would wheel me out to my car where my boyfriend was waiting. I got home and at first I was up and about running around happy doing stuff. Then it all hit me at once I was drowsy and basically slept the rest of ruhr day. I didnt eat very muchmy throat was so soar. Maybe a couple if spoonfuls of jello.

Day two: woke up in horrible throat pain. Barely ate anything. Couldnt talk swollow breathe anything so just slept for the day.

Day three: the ear pain came in and thats the worst feeling. I havent ate in days so my stomach was empty and hurt, my headache was bad cause of the pain of my stomach and ears and throat. Finally gave up and pushed mashed potatoes down my throat. The ear pain was excruciating. The worst part of it all.

Now im on day four. My scabs have formed into white thick scabs. Woke up witg the worst earpain yet. Some of my scabs have fallen off so hopefully by tonight or timorrow ill be done.

All in all I think the first day is the worst. You get used to the pain. Plus the liquid codine with tylonol helped a lot!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
(female)

LaurieJ31981 HB UserLaurieJ31981 HB User
Re: Tonsilectomy

"Some of my scabs have fallen off so hopefully by tonight or timorrow ill be done." not to burst your bubble, but you have a long way to go. I still had scabs after 3 weeks... However, the more you drink and eat (oodles of noodles worked best for me, and carnation breakfast shakes) the scabs will thin out... However they will still be there for awhile...

Just take it easy, its a long process that can go smoothly if the right steps are taken.. Good luck and keep us updated

Closed Thread