It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2012, 06:50 AM   #1
(male)

sk8ersublime HB User
Blood in spit, coming down from Ears (i think)

I am a 26 yr old Male and I really don't know what else to do, and I haven't been able to find anyone with this same issue. My doctors have no answer for me.

So Since March 2011 I have had this constant Nausea and Dizziness. The dizziness feels like a pressure right above my eyes and sometimes I feel like I'm going to pass out from it, like I am falling asleep, but it feels like I'm passing out so it makes me jump and I wake up scared. also my face goes numb sometimes. Now for my background...

I went to my PCP and they had me get a CT Abdominal scan to rule out Appendicitis since I was having stomach pains. - Test was normal

Referred to a GI, they did an Endoscopy and discovered I have G.E.R.D and a Hiatal Hernia. I was still having some stomach pains and issues going to the bathroom and ended up having a Colonoscopy as well. Nothing was found other than a polyp that was removed. Nothing tested positive for cancer or other diseases. I was given PPIs for acid reduction.

The GI told me to see an ENT because I started to feel my ear clogging right when I would get this dizzy and nauseous feeling. When this happens, If i snort mucus down from my sinuses, the mucus is bloody. The ENT put me on Sinus rinses and nasal spray. He said my Ears are fine, however I only feel dizzy when my ears clog. He told me to see a neurologist.

I saw a Neurologist and before examining me, when i told him my issues, he tells me I just have anxiety and wants to give me Buspar (which made the dizziness worse by the way) He did end up doing a VNG test (test of the inner ear with cold and warm air) and the standard neuro exams. I stopped the Buspar because it was making me feel like i was going to pass out all day, I told the doctor this and he said "its not the pill, its your anxiety" which angered me. On my birthday I felt a pop on the left side of my head and my face started tingling. I demanded an MRI and got it. The MRI was non contrast and nothing was found other than a undeveloped Maxillary sinus on the left side.....sounded promising to me.

I took the MRI to my ENT and we got a CT sinus scan done, deviated septum, enlarged turbinates and the non existent maxillary sinus. The doctor said he wasnt sure if it would fix my problems, but I figured it was worth a shot since it was now November 2011, and feeling like this for 8 months was killing me. I scheduled sinus surgery for February 2012 as I had a trip to Brazil planned at the end of 2011.

So before the trip to Brazil I was having chest pains and numbness and went to the ER, they said it was panic attacks, which was possible as I was nervous about flying. When i got back from Brazil, I went to a cardiologist and they did full test on my ticker and carotid artery. All checked out fine.

I had the surgery on February 17th 2012 and everything went well, I had the normal issues after sinus surgery.the dizziness kinda went away for a week. A few weeks after the surgery I started getting the dizziness and nausea again. On March 14th 2012 I woke up in the middle of the night to a POP in my right ear and my mouth filled up with blood, when i got to the bathroom, blood poured out of my nose and mouth and I was home alone. I ran to my car and drove to the hospital about 2 miles from my house. They plugged my nose and my ENT performed emergency surgery. He found no bleeding, then when they tried to wake me up, I started bleeding out again. My Sphenopalitine artery burst. It was repaired and I had to spend 3 nights in the hospital.

A few weeks after this, I was very weak due to the loss of blood, however I didnt have the dizziness or numbness...for a while. It came back and has been here every day since up to this day. I have seen another ENT he cant figure it out either. No one knows where the blood is coming from now, and they all say my Ears are fine, however I know if they can figure out whatever is bleeding or causing my Ear clogging, they will fix all of my problems. I am currently seeing a new neurologist as well. Nothing new at this point, says it may be a chemical imbalance....but Im pretty sure that doesnt make people spit out bloody mucus every day for over a year....

Any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2012, 08:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Blood in spit, coming down from Ears (i think)

The dizziness and nausea accompanied by feeling of ear plugging is probably due to Eustachian tube swelling, which can happen intermittently. That tube connects your middle ear to your throat, where fluid from middle ears drains and air enters the middle ear. If that tube is blocked, air cannot enter the middle ear and a vacuum is created, pulling on the eardrum and making it immobile. The most common cause of that is allergies, as evidenced by the swelling in your turbinates. A little bit of blood streaked in the mucus may occur from mucous membrane inflammation from allergies or sinus irritation from the same. I would try a few things to help keep eustachian tube open and reduce sinus inflammation. A daily non drowsy antihistamine, obtainable OTC, could help as well as a decongestant to reduce swelling in the tube, like psuedoephedrine daily. You can get a 12 hr formula OTC for convenience. I would try to control my environment as much as possible to reduce any known allergens like dust, mold, animal dander, pollen. If you smoke, that may be causing part of the problem. You may consider seeing an allergist for allergy testing to identify your allergens. Also, daily saline rinses of the nasal passages and sinuses will wash out allergens and mucus and help keep things clean and clear. A sinus rinse system (squeeze bottle) or neti pot is available OTC. If all this fails after a couple of weeks, I would go back to ENT and ask for a "caloric" test using cold/warm water, not air, to check the inner ears again. Sorry you have gotten such a runaround for this problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
sk8ersublime (08-03-2012)
Old 08-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
(male)

sk8ersublime HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
The dizziness and nausea accompanied by feeling of ear plugging is probably due to Eustachian tube swelling, which can happen intermittently. That tube connects your middle ear to your throat, where fluid from middle ears drains and air enters the middle ear. If that tube is blocked, air cannot enter the middle ear and a vacuum is created, pulling on the eardrum and making it immobile. The most common cause of that is allergies, as evidenced by the swelling in your turbinates. A little bit of blood streaked in the mucus may occur from mucous membrane inflammation from allergies or sinus irritation from the same. I would try a few things to help keep eustachian tube open and reduce sinus inflammation. A daily non drowsy antihistamine, obtainable OTC, could help as well as a decongestant to reduce swelling in the tube, like psuedoephedrine daily. You can get a 12 hr formula OTC for convenience. I would try to control my environment as much as possible to reduce any known allergens like dust, mold, animal dander, pollen. If you smoke, that may be causing part of the problem. You may consider seeing an allergist for allergy testing to identify your allergens. Also, daily saline rinses of the nasal passages and sinuses will wash out allergens and mucus and help keep things clean and clear. A sinus rinse system (squeeze bottle) or neti pot is available OTC. If all this fails after a couple of weeks, I would go back to ENT and ask for a "caloric" test using cold/warm water, not air, to check the inner ears again. Sorry you have gotten such a runaround for this problem.
Thank you for the reply. I have actually tried a bunch of the OTC allergy medicine, nothing really helps. Ive also tried some Aleve for the anti-inflammatory properties hoping it would help. It only helps when I get headaches. I also do the Nasal Saline rinses constantly, the ENT gave me some anti-biotic ointment to put in with the rinse since they did a culture and it came back with Staph, that is now gone.

I did see an Allergist and they did the 100+ needle skin test thing, and said I have allergies to Both types of dust mites and cockroaches. BTW, I live in an apartment and I have never seen a roach in my house, i know that doesnt mean they arent in someone elses, however my building is treated constantly to make sure we dont have bugs.

On that note, Im not sure it is environmental as when i was in Brazil, I figured I would be in a new environment and would hopefully feel better, however I felt the same there. I was in Santos Brazil, right on the Beach.

I will mention the Caloric test and see what they say.

im sure I left stuff out, if you have any questions please ask and I will post. I have no problem posting my health issues..this crap has gone on long enough and I need to get rid of this!

Thanks again!

Old 08-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

When you had the sinus surgery, did they reduce the turbinate tissue? When the ENT checks your ears, does he do the insufflation test, like a bulb syringe attached to the otoscope to see if your eardrums move? If not, it is a sign your tubes are closed off. It might be worth discussing whether tiny tubes put in the eardrums might help with the ear clogging. When they do that, they often find thick glue-like fluid in the middle ear that can't drain, and they suction that out. The tubes act like the eustachian tubes to normalize pressure on both side of eardrum (tympanostomy tubes). It is a minor procedure and could help you-used a lot for kids with recurrent ear infections. I have had this problem myself due to allergies-enough to drive one crazy when your ears are clogged!

Old 08-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
(male)

sk8ersublime HB User

Yes, they did reduce my turbinates during the surgery. I had a Septoplasty, turbinate reduction and both maxillary sinuses opened up. I saw an Audiologist at my ENT and the test she did for dBs was normal. One of my ENTs did mention the tubes possibly, but they never see anything when they look in my ears.

Here is something else I would like to add. The only thing that relieves some pressure when I feel like this is if I hold my nose closed and suck in until i feel my ears pop in when i let go, my ears stay clogged but they feel different, when I swallow they pop and stuff drains down, and it is usually bloody. My ENT has no idea about that and said that I am the 2nd person who has mentioned this "maneuver" to him. Just thought I would add that....I cant be the only person with this stuff haha...its hell.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #6
(male)

sk8ersublime HB User

Also, Id like to add my ENT mentioned that my jaws felt tight and I should get checked for TMJ. I went and the doctor said I clench my teeth and gave me a night guard to wear while sleeping, ive been doing that and it helps a bit, but im still waking up with pressure in my head all day, dizziness, and spitting out bloody mucus when I am able to get anything to drain out.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:59 AM   #7
(male)

sk8ersublime HB User

Months later and no fix. I am still spitting blood constantly. I have been going to Johns Hopkins to see the ENTs there, and they say nothing is wrong however I still feel dizzy all the time, and my ears pop and I spit blood out.

The did the test with water in my ears and said that my ears are perfect. However all the pressure I feel seems like its coming from my ears. I dont know what else to do. I cant take this.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have had chronic sinus problems and have done that same manuever 1000's of times to get mucus to drain. The blood has to be coming from the sinuses. I would wonder if you have an abnormal blood vessel in the sinus that bleeds frequently. You might ask the ENT about an MRA. It is like an MRI but they use a contrast dye to visualize the blood vessels clearly. There could be a cluster, a small aneurysm etc in one of the arteries in the sinus that is making it bleed. Also, has anyone done cultures of the sinus drainage to check it for infection? A chronic infection could cause many of your symptoms. This is a very frustrating problem, and I hope you get some answers. If not, you might consider going somewhere like the Mayo ENT clinic.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
(male)

sk8ersublime HB User

So 1 year since i posted this....i am no better.

Im seeing a new ENT after all my other doctors keep telling me to see a shrink and get on meds, which i really dont wanna do.

The new ent looked in my nose and saw blood on my adenoid everytime he looked, on multiple occasions. So we scheduled an adenoidectomy.

That was about 1 month ago. I am still spitting out blood constantly and it only happens when my ear clogs. Right now my right ear is clogged completely and ill snort it down and its all bloody and clogs right back up.

right before the surgery ive got a new symptom which sounds like anxiety, where my ear will clog, and when i swallow to pop my ears, I cant swallow. I cant swallow my breath then I freak out and I feel like I am going to pass out. I have been having this issue for multiple days this week. Its getting really old and destroying my life.

I have an ENT follow up on monday.....im sure nothing else with come out of this other than another $20 out of my pocket.

Reply Reply