It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
(male)

kazo0 HB User
Nasal Polyps and allergy shots

Hello!

I am 22 years old and a little over a year ago I was diagnosed with nasal polyps and I haven't gotten around to doing anything about it yet. It seems to only bother me when I am around certain allergens. During the Winter I am fine, I usually always have one nostril blocked and I can't remember ever breathing through both nostrils. But I suffer from Hay Fever and a dust allergy that really blocks up my nose during the Spring and Summer.

I am so uncomfortable right now, my polyps are inflamed and I can't get any air through my nose and the pressure is giving me bad headaches in the front of my head. It's also causing a lot of mucus to drip back into my throat because I am very congested right now as well. I have a lot of white spots and slits and crevices on my tonsils where the white spots hide and I need to dig them out, I'm guessing this is a result of the mucus going over my tonsils and infecting them? Will this go away if the mucus stops dripping back?

I have an appointment with an allergist and I will be getting allergy shots, I was told that this will prevent the polyps from becoming inflamed since the allergens won't have an effect anymore. I saw on these boards that taking Singulair can also reduce the polyps, should I ask the allergist about prescribing that as well or are allergy shots known to work pretty effectively against nasal polyps?

Thanks!

Last edited by kazo0; 08-07-2012 at 01:17 PM.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Nasal Polyps and allergy shots

Nasal polyps are hard to treat medically, and allergy shots can take months to work. Singulair is a good drug but I would not really expect it to get rid of the polyps, maybe just reduce the swelling some. If you are trying to avoid having them removed, a good antihistamine, nasal steroid spray, and decongestant combo might help you be more comfortable. Nasal irrigations to rinse out allergens daily and nasal strips to open nostrils at night can help too. It sounds like you could have a sinus infection right now, with frontal headaches & post nasal drip. Also white spots on the tonsils is typically pus from infection, so I would consider trying to move your app't up to be evaluated for infection.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
kazo0 (08-07-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

SOunds like you need to have the polyps removed along with your tonsils. Will be a rought couple of weeks but you'll be better off for good after that. Along with allergy shots, etc.....

Old 08-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Medically, you have a couple of options before even thinking about surgery to remove the polyps.

Generally, a short course of prednisone will shrink the polyps to a manageable size and daily singulair plus a steroid nasal spray can keep them from recurring (if your allergies are kept under control).

I would definitely talk to the allergist about singulair, a steroid nasal spray and possible a short course of prednisone.

Reply Reply