It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
(male)

Josh90 HB User
What are the dangers of the Valsalva maneuver - holding nose and blowing

Over the past month or so I have picked up a bad habit of popping my ears, by which I mean holding my nose and blowing so my ears pop, I regularaly do this around 3 times a day, I do it even when my ears are not blocked and I don't know why.

I only just recently looked up the dangers of doing this but I could not find a definitive answer, could someone tell me how dangerous this is and what the dangers are if you do it multiple times even when your ears are not blocked?

Last edited by Josh90; 08-14-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
(female)

jenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB User
Re: What are the dangers of the Valsalva maneuver - holding nose and blowing

I don't know if there are any dangers, per se, other than the fact that you are probably giving yourself a positive pressure imbalance in the middle ear. If you need something to help break the habit, read some of the eustachian tube dysfunction stories on this board...if there's any chance unnecessary valsalva to healthy ears can cause this problem, you'll want to consider stopping immediately. I have had ETD on and off since December 2010, and it is a nightmare.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2012, 11:47 PM   #3
(female)

scappoose HB User

I have a cleft palate- ear problems, One of my ENT's recommended holding my nose & blowing every day to reduce moister. But not to do if if I had a cold - or lots of muccus.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
(male)

Biggles00 HB User

I have had a cold and flu for a few weeks now, started off normally, but then i had muffled ears and used this method, a few days later i experienced a weird static ringing noise in my ears... and it has never gone away, its been around 2 weeks now, and i'am popping my ears via this method everyday, and im worried i may have done myself some damage.

I'm going to stop doing it for a few days and see if it helps, i'll let you know how it goes. I'm also going to get referred to a ENT as its driving me crazy now

Biggles

Old 10-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
(female)

sandi2932 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh90 View Post
Over the past month or so I have picked up a bad habit of popping my ears, by which I mean holding my nose and blowing so my ears pop, I regularaly do this around 3 times a day, I do it even when my ears are not blocked and I don't know why.

I only just recently looked up the dangers of doing this but I could not find a definitive answer, could someone tell me how dangerous this is and what the dangers are if you do it multiple times even when your ears are not blocked?

Old 10-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #6
(female)

sandi2932 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh90 View Post

Reply Reply