It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
(female)

reddress82 HB User
Tonsilectomy medication

what are the chances of being able to swallow pills following a tonsilectomy? My tonsils have been giving me problems for a long time, and I've been doing all liquid meds for quite some time now. Well, my surgeon said he can prescribe liquid medication for all but the pain medicine, he said per his policy, they don't do liquid pain meds. The nurse said I might find I'll be able to swallow them after the surgery, but I'm not sure I even remember how to swallow pills. Haha.

It seems silly because my primary doctor has me on liquid hydrocodone until the surgery because I've been in alot of pain, and my surgeon knows that. I'm not even sure if I should pick up the pills.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

MomofPatient HB User
Re: Tonsilectomy medication

If the pills are very small and slippery MAYBE. Lortab is a liquid pain med that is a mix of Vicodin and Tylenol and seems to be a usual prescription. Insist that your doctor to make an exception to his pill policy for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
(female)

choirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB User
Re: Tonsilectomy medication

I switched to pills on Day 4 with no problems whatsoever. The liquid (Lortab) tasted awful to me and took several minutes to take a single dose. I'd have to take a tiny sip, drink water, take a tiny sip, drink water. It also made me sick. I discovered that I tolerated it better if I ate instant mashed potatoes immediately before and after taking the liquid medicine. Pills were much easier for me to take than the liquid. I'd have switched sooner than Day 4, but my surgery was on a Friday (Day 1) and my doctor wasn't back in the office until Monday (Day 4).

Last edited by choirgirl; 09-11-2012 at 07:45 AM.

Reply Reply