It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
(female)

laura3007 HB User
Tonsillectomy Recovery

I am a 21 y/o female scheduled for my tonsillectomy in 6 days, due to frequent bouts of tonsillitis and a horrid problem with tonsil stones. I cannot wait to have them out, and have done a lot of research on how to improve my recovery.

I have cleared my schedule and plan on really relaxing and allowing my body to heal after surgery.

11 days after my surgery, I have secured a fantastic opportunity down in London with a prestigious barristers' chambers. As a budding barrister, this will be an invaluable experience which I do NOT want to miss.

I understand average recovery time is 10 days, so I hope to be well enough to attend the meetings. My question is, what can I do to really speed up my recovery?

I want to be fighting fit and able to give a good account of myself, and the last thing I want to do is cancel (although if I am seriously ill, I will obviously have no other choice but to do so). Are there any steps I can take to help a speedy recovery?

I do not care if they are painful or cause discomfort, I'm willing to do whatever is necessary so I don't miss out on the opportunity of a lifetime!

Really hoping to have a healthy recovery, so any help would be much appreciated. Looking forward to your answers!

Old 09-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
(male)

RichG82 HB User
Re: Tonsillectomy Recovery

eat solids to keep the "sluff" (white stuff) off the back of your throat, and loads of fluids, had mine out 16 days ao, they hurt a bit still but i dont need meds anymore, after day 10 was easier, but my ears and throat (even swallowing saliva) were unbearable till day 14.

everyone heals at different rates tho, just keep fluids up even if it hurts and solid food and you will get through it

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2012, 05:59 AM   #3
(male)

at282000 HB User

Laura,
I am 41 and had my tonsillectomy 5 1/2 days ago. I have found drinking a lot of water and staying on my medication by the book works pretty good. It still hurts but it is doable. After I wake up is the worst. I guess because I am breathing though my mouth when I sleep. I am able to eat Jell-O, pudding, cream of whatever soup (chicken, potato are the best). I also drink an Ensure once a day to keep my nutrition up. Got to have protein to heal. I eat many times a day so I don't cause too much stress damage to my throat at once. It also allows me to have meds on board while I'm eating. Believe it or not I chew everything. It forces my muscles to work and helps keep things limber. I'm guessing it prevents the muscles from getting stiff therefore easing the pain. I also eat ice pops, no red ones. Finally as strange as it sounds I put uncooked rice in some long tube socks and freeze them. I can wrap them around my throat and that feels pretty good. Oh, also be ready for some possible ear pain. I have found that a heating pad around my ears alleviates this pain. Hope all goes well and that you heal fast.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
(male)

dansnoring HB User

As long as you don't have to sing or speak! I am 4 days (5 if you include the day of surgery) since my tonsils were removed. I haven't had much pain and with the painkiller it's not bad at all. But it really hurts too speak and eating is not that easy. I am having soft noodles, steamed meat, and lots of cold drinks.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
(male)

dansnoring HB User

The biggesr problem I've had is constipation due to pain reliever (Percoset) I took after surgery. I suggest taking stool softener medication as soon as you can. Also I waited until I was about to explode and was in crisis mode to deal with it which of course was a mistake.

This is day 7. I've been eating just about everything but chewing a lot and mostly soups, noodles or very moist soft food like baked chicken. Can't take any more pain killer but still pain is very light sometimes swallowing is not so fun. I can't speak much that really hurts. I miss taking. Maybe that's why I'm providing on internet message boards about my recovery.

I think I still have scabs so hoping no upcoming pain. I am still down and tired. I need to return to normalcy!

The Following User Says Thank You to dansnoring For This Useful Post:
annagee (09-29-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 06:33 AM   #6
(male)

at282000 HB User

Sorry to hear about the constipation issues. Fortunately that is not one I had to deal with. Things were off but not bad. I am on day 12 and I think I am just about healed except for a couple of spots. Eating is still a chore but as long as I go slow, chew and add liquid as needed I'm good. I do have one concern about my soft pallet just to the left of my "new" uvula, it doesn't seem to be healing right. I see the doctor again on the 25th so I'll see what he says. I would guess your scabs should be in the process of coming off. Mine started on about day 5 or 6 and took a couple days for the big stuff to come off. I still have a couple little ones but no big deal.

Talking is not my favorite thing to do right now either. It's kind of weird/painful at times. I'm not sure if its the because of the roof of my mouth or the muscles he twisted. I guess it will pass once I get the new mouth broken in. LOL Hope you continue to heal fast.

I forgot to add I havn't taken any pain meds except Tylenol for the last 3 days and the pain has been ok. I still get a heck of an ear ache on the right side every once in a while.

Arron

Last edited by at282000; 09-24-2012 at 06:35 AM.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
(female)

annagee HB User

Thanks for everyone who encourage a lot of readers like me. This coming Monday Oct1st , I am scheduled for my Tonsillectomy. I'm hoping and praying that everything will be in good hands especially after the surgery. Thanks once again....GOD bless us all!

Reply Reply