It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
(female)

foreverxo HB User
Exclamation Strep Throat vs. Mono

Hello,
I woke up on Tuesday, Sept 4th with a sore throat and headache with a slight fever of 100.2 f. On Wednesday, Sept 5th I went to the doctors at the walk in clinic in my town and they didn't take any throat swabs or any tests other then asking me to list my symptoms, but they told me in these words "From your symptoms, it seems like you have strep throat, but their is a small chance you may have mono." They also put me on Penicillin V 300g. That night (Wednesday) I started the antibiotic for strep throat. Today is Saturday, Sept 8th and have been taking the antibiotic for the last 3 days now, and have seen only a minuscule improvement sore throat, with no improvement of my other symptoms. My symptoms now, today (Saturday), are sore throat, white chunky 'goo-ey' things on my tonsils, about 3 or 4 along each tonsil leading to a total of about 6-8 of the white things, I also have small ear aches and a stuffy nose. I am just wondering a few things.. A.) What are these white things on my tonsils?
B.) Could I have been miss-diagnosed?
C.) Should I go see a doctor again?
D.) What are my symptoms mostly showing?

If someone could get back to me ASAP, that would be GREATLY appreciated, I am scared, and in pain.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Strep Throat vs. Mono

I doubt it's mono, the symptoms don't fit at all. It could be a throat infection like Strep that just isn't responding to the antibiotics well.

The white things are usually a classic sign of a throat infection caused by bacteria. Now, it's been several days, you should be at least somewhat better. If you're still sick Monday, go back to the doctor for a stronger antibiotic.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply