It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
(female)

reddress82 HB User
should I go to the ER?

I had my adult tonsilectomy early on Monday morning. The doctor said it went really great - they gave me morphine and demerol through my IV, then I took oral vicodin. I was still in pain, but it was controlled. The first day or so, the pain wasn't all that bad. I was in bed a lot, but I was still up somewhat, too. He had me on Vicodin 5/500 every 4 hours. He also had me drinking 60 ounces of water and eating meals even on the first day.

Yesterday afternoon, I was in severe pain and the medicine just wasn't working and I wasn't able to talk barely. I wasn't able to call my surgeon, but I had an e-mail for my pcp so i contacted her. she gave me a prescription for percocet 5/325 to last me until the pain gets a little better, and i can switch back to the vicodin.

That brings us to today, the percocet works for a couple hours and then i'm in way worse pain. i've been in bed sleeping all day and i wake up when my med alarm goes off, and it just hurts so bad. I'm barely able to get my pill down. (my surgeon insisted on pills, not liquid. he wouldn't negotiate this) I also am only able to get down a couple sips of water and only a tiny little bit t eat. I just wonder if I need to have someone call my surgeon for me, or even go to the ER. I don't appear to have any bleeding, I just can't get anything down (worried about dehydration) and I'm in a lot of pain.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
(female)

crosstitchgirl HB User
Re: should I go to the ER?

If i was you I would go back to er or have someone at least call the er and ask if you should come in . , since it has been a few days and no one gave you an answer which sucks I am sure you have done decided on what to do . let us know with an update . hugs

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Pain after tonsillectomy is usually worse around days 5-9 so you are getting right in that window. So it does sound normal to me. If you can get hold of your doctor, ask for a scrip for the lidocaine gel gargle. It will help.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
(male)

at282000 HB User

I'd put a warm mist humidifier in the room you sleep in. Sounds like you are breathing through your mouth. You may also be snoring because of the swelling. Try sleeping on your side. Finally put ice packs on your neck. I used rice in a tube sock and froze it.

Reply Reply