It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
(male)

dansnoring HB User
Red face Tonsillectomy for sleep apnea / snoring. Does it work?

Hello everyone or anyone!

I am scheduled to have my tonsils out next Tues. They will also trim the uvula and possibly the soft palate a bit. I am 32, thin and snore like a hog out of hell. I have mild sleep apnea (AHI 15) and large tonsila (3.0 out of 4.0). Has any one who had this procedure for snoring and sleep apnea found it helpful? I have heard this procedure sucks. I am petrified to be in pain for 2 weeks and then no improvement. The doctor thinks it will help but who knows?

Thank you!

Last edited by dansnoring; 09-12-2012 at 03:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
(male)

at282000 HB User
Re: Snoring, remove tonsils...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansnoring View Post
Hi Raider did you have your tonsils out? Did it help? I am considering for sleep apnea and am petrified. I have large tonsils but no infections. Thanks!
dansnoring,

I had mine out 5 days ago. Can't tell you if it worked or not, but I had the uvula trimmed and the roof of my mouth shortened as well. The procedure is known as a UPPP or UP3. Recovery has been painful but I am looking forward to the results. Make sure and read the guide to adult tosillectomy recovery in this forum. It's a life saver for sure. If you do it two things take your meds religiously and drink a lot. It's important to remember that when drinking a tiny sip hurts as much as a regular swallow so take the regular swallows and make the pain worth it. Best of luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2012, 06:10 AM   #3
(male)

dansnoring HB User

Thanks I got mine out yesterday. So far pain has been manageable. The worst part was feeling nauseous after surgery. I don't feel much pain yet - I hope it stays like this. I just wish I could eat some regular food already. Ugh ten days to go. I had the same procedure you did at282000. I just hope this puts an end to my sleep apnea.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:52 AM   #4
(male)

at282000 HB User

dansnoring,

I know I said it before but take the meds on schedule. Also, if your feeling nauseous have them give you some anti-nauseous meds. I puked once and it was probably one of the worst things I have ever done. I am on day seven today and the scabs started the falling off process yesterday, it's pretty gross. Remember to ice/cool your neck it helps and when/if your ears start to hurt put a heating pad on them on the lowest setting works really good for me. Hope you heal fast.

Arron

Old 09-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
(male)

dansnoring HB User

Thanks I got mine out yesterday. So far pain has been manageable. The worst part was feeling nauseous after surgery. I don't feel much pain yet - I hope it stays like this. I just wish I could eat some regular food already. Ugh ten days to go. I had the same procedure you did at282000. I just hope this puts an end to my sleep apnea.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
(male)

dansnoring HB User

By the way what exactly is it like to have the scabs come off? Where do they go? How to eat when this occurs? So far I feel pretty good except when I talk. The back of my throat is also really swollen. How long after the tonsils came out will you have another sleep apnea test? I'd like to do one 2 weeks afterwards.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
(male)

dansnoring HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansnoring View Post
Thanks Arron I got mine out yesterday. So far pain has been manageable. The worst part was feeling nauseous after surgery. I don't feel much pain yet - I hope it stays like this. I just wish I could eat some regular food already. Ugh ten days to go. I had the same procedure you did Arron I just hope this puts an end to my sleep apnea.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #8
(male)

at282000 HB User

Dan,

I'm not sure on the test but I think it's like 3 months. Your throat has to heal and such. Also you have to allow your sleep rhythm to stabilize. At least that is what I have read. As far as eating goes I have eaten cream of whatever soup, ensure, pudding cups and popsicles. The last few days I have included some top roman and egg waffles. The waffles have been great but I don't really cook them all the way. Really they are just defrosted and then I make sure to drink while eating them, no crunchy stuff. Really stay with the soft foods as much as possible.

The scabs are all the white crap covering your throat and they will start to fall off between days 4-7. It's pretty gross because in reality they are really soft and when they start sluffing off they have the consistency of thick mucus. They did cause me to gag a little but I found out rinsing my mouth out very gentle swishing helped manage this process. I have read the gargling with warm salt water helps. I DID NOT do this just seems it would burn/sting so I used just water.

Hope this helps.

Please remember I'm not a doc these are my opinions based on my experience over the last week or so and from what I have read.

Arron

Old 09-20-2012, 07:28 PM   #9
(male)

dansnoring HB User
Re: Snoring, remove tonsils... ?

I hope this doesn't change suddenly, but tomorrow is day three after the day of my surgery. I haven't had any pain at all. Yes it is uncomfortable to swallow but I have been eating soft pasta and soft pizza (no crust) from almost the beginning. After reading all the horror stories I got a ton of Percocet from my doctor, but I haven't needed it at all. I am just taking Tylenol. Also, I can't comfortably speak yet. But I am not having any discomfort otherwise.

The only worry I have is that I had UPPP (trim but not removal of Uvula) and have been worried that this will effect my ability to speak French. I still have a uvula surface to make the R sound, so it should be OK but everything is swollen now. I am a little nervous however. I wanted to take this posting to warn anyone who speaks a second language to be very clear with their ENT what the effect will be. I also speak American English, which does not use the uvula at all as far as I can tell. I primarily speak English - who knew the uvula is used in some languages but not others? I guess it sounds stupid; but the doctor never covered it when I asked about risks.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #10
(male)

at282000 HB User

I never thought about a second language, interesting. You are very lucky to have very little to no pain. I have been taking my meds and about day 6 I started cutting down the amount and frequency that I took the meds. Now I'm taking it as needed maybe once depending on the pain levels. I am having a difficult time with speaking too. It really hurts the roof of my mouth. Anyway I am glad your pain has been so manageable. Mine has been bad but not like what I have read in other post.

Arron

Old 09-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #11
(male)

dansnoring HB User

The only time I have discomfort is when eating. But in general I've had hardly any pain. I am taking Tylenol to be safe. I usually have the Tylenol with Codeine before bed. I am surprised at the light to no pain I am experiencing. That's not to say I feel great. My tongue is swollen and throat is sore. I defimitely feel off. Also speaking is not comfortable yet. I hope you feel better soon! I am not looking forward to the scabs coming off. I am hoping that happens day 5 or sooner as I've read it's the worse part.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #12
(male)

dansnoring HB User

So Arron did the procedure help you stop snoring? I'm on day 8 and I feel discomfort in the face and a bit still swallowing. I just ate Chinesw food though and pretty much my eating is back to normal. I still can't speak too much - still hurts. I stopped the pain meds as they were giving me constipation. I'd rather be in pain than in a Percocet induced high with 5 days of having to to the bathroom buildup.

I am having another sleep apnea test next week so I'll post if the tonsillectomy actually helped. I feel like it did because it's harder for me to make a snoring sound in the back of my throat. I've pretty much been eating normal foods since day 2 and drinking a ton of water. I think that's why my scabs didn't hurt as they have come off. I will say the pain increased day 6 and 7 - it almost feels the wound matures and throat swells quite a bit by then. My ENT gave me anti inflammatory meds to help with this .

Old 09-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #13
(male)

at282000 HB User

Dan,
I think it has helped with the snoring. My wife says it has. I am still not to 100% on eating but I'm really close. Too much talking does become uncomfortable for sure. But I think that should come around as well. My biggest issue is with the muscles he twisted/moved. All the other stuff along with the muscle change has definitely changed things like swallowing, yawning, chewing and just about everything with the mouth. I think when they heal and he removes the stitches life will be great.

I must admit it surprises me that they are doing another sleep study so soon on you. I have read in many places that you should give it as much as three months to let your body's sleep rhythm stabilize.

All in all things really are going good. I am eating better so I have more energy and I get to start running again soon. Best of luck, fast healing and let me know how that study goes.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #14
(male)

dansnoring HB User

I bought an application for Android called "SnoreClock" that records your snoring and tells you at what times you snore. I listened to the recording and it was quite accurate. I am still snoring. It's been 12 days since surgery. How annoying! After all that! Well my hope is that things are swollen and I will stop snoring when swelling decreases.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #15
(male)

at282000 HB User

Sorry to hear the snoring is still going on. Do you know if that is better or the same compared to pre-surgery? You may snore but it probably is less. Also, I agree you probably still have some swelling. I know I do and I am 18 days post surgery. I don't know if your doctor moved the muscles in your throat or not but that seems to be were most of my discomfort is coming from. I also still have some small scabs where my tonsils were. I think this is because the tonsil tissue went so deep into my throat/neck. All in all I am happy thus far some minor issues with the discomfort and thin liquids try to get into my sinus cavity. I think this will stop once I get used to my new "mouth". LOL Heal fast and good luck with the sleep study.

Reply Reply