It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2012, 05:10 AM   #1
(male)

Tigersuit HB User
sounds and feels like air is escaping from my ear after I use my voice.

for the past month or so my left ear has been ringing much more loudly than usual. it feels quieter also, almost "full" so to speak. i've noticed that when i speak a word or a sentence, the pause that follows initiates what feels and sounds like a rumbling rush of air escaping from my left ear, and this is by far my most debilitating symptom. it makes me feel disoriented and almost dizzy after it happens, and as a result, conversation has become quite tedious. i also experience loud clicks in my ear after i speak and after hearing loud noises. i've considered that it could be TMJ, but it has nothing to do with movement of my jaw, and only seems to come about when i make noise or i hear sharp loud noises externally.

the strangest part about this is that it usually doesn't happen while there are noises in the background like music, white noise, crowds, etc. only when it's quiet. but there are exceptions, and i have heard it while there was background noise before.

about a week ago today i went to a doctor about it. he checked my ears and told me my ear was infected. he gave me anti-biotics and anti-inflammatorys, which i've been taking on schedule every day, but none of my symptoms have improved, not even a little bit. in fact they seem to be getting worse, but perhaps that's just because i'm focusing on them and testing them out all the time. i have a follow up appointment for my infection in another 8 days, so hopefully i can get some answers.

does anyone have any opinions or advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #2
(female)

Tropic HB User
Re: sounds and feels like air is escaping from my ear after I use my voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigersuit View Post
for the past month or so my left ear has been ringing much more loudly than usual. it feels quieter also, almost "full" so to speak. i've noticed that when i speak a word or a sentence, the pause that follows initiates what feels and sounds like a rumbling rush of air escaping from my left ear, and this is by far my most debilitating symptom. it makes me feel disoriented and almost dizzy after it happens, and as a result, conversation has become quite tedious. i also experience loud clicks in my ear after i speak and after hearing loud noises. i've considered that it could be TMJ, but it has nothing to do with movement of my jaw, and only seems to come about when i make noise or i hear sharp loud noises externally.

the strangest part about this is that it usually doesn't happen while there are noises in the background like music, white noise, crowds, etc. only when it's quiet. but there are exceptions, and i have heard it while there was background noise before.

about a week ago today i went to a doctor about it. he checked my ears and told me my ear was infected. he gave me anti-biotics and anti-inflammatorys, which i've been taking on schedule every day, but none of my symptoms have improved, not even a little bit. in fact they seem to be getting worse, but perhaps that's just because i'm focusing on them and testing them out all the time. i have a follow up appointment for my infection in another 8 days, so hopefully i can get some answers.

does anyone have any opinions or advice?
call the doctor's office and get an earlier appointment. Getting worse, means that the antibiotics aren't working and another approach needs to be taken.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
(male)

Tigersuit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic View Post
call the doctor's office and get an earlier appointment. Getting worse, means that the antibiotics aren't working and another approach needs to be taken.
i can't, september 26th is the earliest they could take me. they are all booked up until then. it's not getting significantly worse, i honestly think i'm just noticing it more..

Last edited by Tigersuit; 09-17-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
(male)

Tigersuit HB User

these symptoms keep getting worse and nobody seems to be able to explain why. i've started experiencing hyperacusis and the world is so loud now it feels like i'm under a constant assault from sound. my family doctor couldn't find anything wrong, and he referred me to an ENT on my request. i went to the emergency department in the city out of desperation and the doctor said i had fluid in my ears, but that there was nothing he could do, and that my best bet is to wait to see an ENT, which won't be for another 5 days. this is literally destroying what little of my life i had left.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
(female)

jenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB User

Look up middle ear myoclonus (spasms of the tensor tympani and/or stapedius muscles in the middle ear). It is often triggered by specific exterior noises.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #6
(male)

Tigersuit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifleck View Post
Look up middle ear myoclonus (spasms of the tensor tympani and/or stapedius muscles in the middle ear). It is often triggered by specific exterior noises.
it sounds like it could be this, but i have other symptoms too like an echo effect when i talk, hyperacusis and esutachian tube clicks. is it possible to make the 'spasms' go away without surgery?

Last edited by Tigersuit; 10-08-2012 at 12:25 PM.

Reply Reply