It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
(female)

ksc1968 HB Userksc1968 HB User
SCARED!!! upcoming laryngoscopy... numbing question

Im getting a fiber optic scope up the nose into the throat on tuesday. Im very anxious about the numbing. I do not do well with numbing in my throat. I once went numb in the throat during a dental numbing....scariest thing ever. I felt like I couldnt breathe. My question is for those who have had it... Does the spray up the nose numb the entire throat, or just the upper part ? Can you describe how it felt so I can be mentally prepared. Can you swallow, can you breathe ok?
Thanks for any replies
Kelly

Old 09-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
(male)

Michael949 HB UserMichael949 HB UserMichael949 HB User
Re: SCARED!!! upcoming laryngoscopy... numbing question

You will be fine, don't worry. I've had 4 laryngoscopys over the years and I never had a problem. The stuff they spray up there only numbs your nose and upper throat, it doesn't go deep into your esophagus or anything like that. You won't have difficulty breathing or swallowing. The procedure itself lasts only a few minutes and the numbing medication wears off pretty quickly

Last edited by Michael949; 09-21-2012 at 05:34 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Michael949 For This Useful Post:
ksc1968 (09-25-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
(female)

Thanks Michael949.....You were right. I had the laryngoscopy today and it was a piece of cake. The decongestent was fine, the numbing tasted gross when it dripped into throat, but dr only did one nostril so I could feel everything on the other side. Scope was fine, felt odd but not painful. So glad I did it. I read your post in the waiting room and it really helped me feel at ease. Thank you so much!

Old 10-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
(female)

MISSYJOY HB User

I think I will go on with symptoms forever before getting this test. I am also very freaked out about a laryngoscopy. I'm afraid I will have an anxiety attack if I can't feel my throat. More words of encouragement???

Old 10-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
(female)

missy joy.....Trust me, I worked myself up over nothing.....It was a piece of cake. If you ask for just one nostril to be sprayed, you can feel everything just fine. You can swallow, you can breathe perfect...Its really not a big deal. It was so worth it. If I ever had to do it again I wouldnt worry AT ALL. Its way to easy to avoid doing. And I learned that I have LPR....very important information!

Old 10-18-2012, 06:38 AM   #6
(female)

MISSYJOY HB User

OK KSC - I'll try not to make myself a nervous wreck. Your feedback REALLY helps - thanks so much!!!

Have had a very incidents when eating too fast where back of throat feels like it's tightened when swallowing, then takes a minute or two to feel normal again. I know that's what they will want to do.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:13 AM   #7
(female)

natyp1012 HB User

Hey,
I had such a laryngoscopy two years ago and found out I have gastritis....I would do it if I were you, but try to get knocked out. they offered me to knock me out but then I would have had to stay at the hospital for a couple hours after, but I wanted to go home right after. So I took just the numbing stuff....BELIEVE ME, you dont wanna do that!!! get knocked out. It feels like you wanna throw up your guts when u get just the local anestesy.

Just saying.

good luck with yours, hope u have nothg bad going on.
Naty

Old 10-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #8
(female)

natyp1012 HB User

oops, i was talkin about gastroscopie, so sorry...but glad u got over it easy!!

Old 10-18-2012, 10:37 PM   #9
(female)

jenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB User

Yup, I've had this procedure performed a couple times. It's not painful at all, and it's over in a snap. Don't worry!

Old 10-19-2012, 06:36 AM   #10
(female)

MISSYJOY HB User

Thanks! Not concerned about pain as much as the anxiety of not being able to breathe with something down my throat, plus the numbing agent.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:35 AM   #11
(female)

anxiousmum HB User

I've also got a laryngoscopy next week and i'm so worried about it. I've been panicking for weeks. Does it really not hurt?

Old 02-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #12
(female)

No, there is NO pain involved AT ALL. Like I said, ask for one nostril to be numbed only, thats what I had, and you can still feel everything on the other side. Please dont worry. I did and it was for nothing. If I ever had to do it again I would not even think twice about it!
My only piece of advice, is make sure they have you sit for a while to let the numbing take effect, at least 10 minutes. And ask for the pediatric scope, its smaller. The scope part only took, from beginning to end less than a minute. Its super fast!
Good luck, you will be fine

Old 02-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #13
(female)

anxiousmum HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksc1968 View Post
No, there is NO pain involved AT ALL. Like I said, ask for one nostril to be numbed only, thats what I had, and you can still feel everything on the other side. Please dont worry. I did and it was for nothing. If I ever had to do it again I would not even think twice about it!
My only piece of advice, is make sure they have you sit for a while to let the numbing take effect, at least 10 minutes. And ask for the pediatric scope, its smaller. The scope part only took, from beginning to end less than a minute. Its super fast!
Good luck, you will be fine
Thank you so much. its reassuring to know that. The hospital rang this morning and brought my appointment forward for tomorrow so I've been in a panic all day.
I feel a lot better about it now so fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #14
(female)

Good luck, you will be fine. Your anxiety about it is the worst part. Let me know how it went for you!

Old 02-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #15
(female)

anxiousmum HB User

well i got through it. It wasn't as bad as i thought. I think my anxiety took over abit. The numbing was horrible tasting but it did help.
The doc didn't see any problems so i don't know whats causing my difficulty to swallow.
Thank you so much for your support on this. I'm such a nervous person and you really helped.

Reply Reply