It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
(male)

Tigersuit HB User
clicking and popping when i talk (eustachian tubes?)

along with several other symptoms, whenever i talk i can hear clicking noises in my ear, and i can feel my eustachian popping. sometimes when i'm talking at length, i hear a squeal sort of noise and i can feel some kind of liquid or bubbles moving up through my left eustachian tube into my ear. does this indicate some kind of eustachian tube dysfunction? i went to the ENT and he wasn't of any help whatsoever.

i also have hyperacusis, SCREAMING tinnitus and a fluttering spasm in my left ear that reacts to noise (not a continuous myoclonus symptom) and especially. my own voice.

this is a nightmare.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
(female)

jenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB User
Re: clicking and popping when i talk (eustachian tubes?)

Tigersuit, I am so sorry to read you are going through. I've had this for two years nearly...and I am intimately familiar with every symptom you mention, including the voice-activated myoclonus and the clicks when talking. It does sound like ETD to me. I think the clicks are created by sticky e-tubes pulling apart; certain palate movements will naturally do this. I "test" the stickiness of my tubes by saying the word "cookie," which will create an audible double pop in my throat when I'm at my worst! I wish I had a quick fix for you, but I am still trying to find The Cure...you can read about my whole saga by checking my past posts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2012, 08:47 AM   #3
(male)

Tigersuit HB User

TWO YEARS??!?!

that is absolutely terrifying. this has ruined my life in less than a month. i was hoping to find an answer....

Old 10-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
(female)

jenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB User

I wish I had an easy answer. I do think mucus and having close walls on the e-tube opening due to inflammation are the culprit.

If you want to try home treatment, I find that 1 12 hr Sudafed (needs to be the REAL stuff kept behind the counter, pseudoephedrine) plus a couple Advil can temporarily clear clicky, sticky tubes. You might also try Mucinex to thin the mucus that might add to the clogging. All three drugs are safe to take together (per multiple ENTs...I am not a doctor).

How did your problem begin, if you don't mind my asking?

Old 10-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
(female)

Let me add that my myoclonus has largely gone into remission. I do sometimes get random thumps, just to keep me on my toes. But the voice-activated stuff did calm down considerably, save a few days here and there.

I do now have myo in both ears.

I think I read somewhere that you get it when waking? Mine sometimes becomes agitated if I brush a hand or sheet across my cheek while lying in bed trying to fall asleep, and also if I stick a finger into the right ear and play with the pressure. Obviously, I avoid doing the second thing...the first thing, not as easy to avoid.

There's still no official diagnosis for my ear problems. My ENT says my ears are "complicated." Weird that it all began at roughly the same time in late 2010...so to my mind, these things MUST be related to each other.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
(male)

Tigersuit HB User

it started late August when i noticed that when i spoke loudly or coughed, my left ear would produce a "thump" followed by a fluttering sound that felt like puffs of air escaping my ear. sept 10th i went to the doctor because it wasn't getting better. he said it was infected and that i had some TMJ inflammation, so he gave me antibiotics and antiinflammatorys. i took the antibiotics for 10 days, and during that time was when my eustachian tubes began to click when i talked. i took the antiinflammatorys for almost 2 weeks and near the end of that round is when i noticed i started becoming sensitive to noise (hyperacusis). my tinnitus was also worsening. within the first 2 weeks of October, the hyperacusis worsened exponentially, and along with that the fluttering twitch in my left ear got worse as well.

i went to an ENT on October 12 who gave me no answers. he explained that the fluttering was muscles in my middle ear, but didn't elaborate on how i could make it stop or why it was happening. he set me up for some hearing tests, which i probably won't get done because i'm worried the sound will make everything worse.

my tinnitus is currently screaming at me. it sounds like there are 100 fax machines in my head. i have no idea why this came about, but whenever i talk i hear a loud "WHOOOMP-pffffffffffffffffffffff" sort of fluttery noise, and it's absolutely horrible. it can be painful sometimes.

the sensitivity to noise combined with the painful fluttering in my ear forced me to leave work.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
(female)

You should have been prescribed a trial run of a low dose muscle relaxant to see if that helps calm down the muscles. It sounds like your tensor tympani (muscle that protects ear from sudden, loud sounds) has gone into hyper-drive, so now it's activating during normal sounds and giving you hyperacusis. I am so sorry you are going through this.

There is belief that TMJD and other accessory muscle spasm can cause this. In fact, the top expert in eustachian tube issues told me that was my problem. I did go through a long trial of TMJD treatment. Did that help calm down my myoclonus? Something did the trick. Also try taking magnesium and potassium...I tested out low on potassium, and it's implicated in some of these issues. Magnesium should be the form that is well-absorbed...I don't have my notes right in front of me, but it's not the cheap magnesium typically found on a grocery store shelf.

For e-tube/ear pressure problems, I still live on Sudafed and, when times get really tough, flexeril or klonapin to get my face out of spasm and get the ears feeling less pressure. I try not to take unless I'm at my wit's end as it can be physically addictive, and I switch off between the two.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #8
(male)

Tigersuit HB User

i eat a banana and an avocado every morning for breakfast, so i have a feeling potassium isn't my issue. i also take a multi-vitamin, magnesium, and a multi-antioxidant every day. the brand of all three is Sisu, i buy them at the health food store, not the drug store. they are quite expensive, but i'm still not sure if the magnesium is the right kind.

since my ENT was unable to find any problems within my ear, i have actually been treating this problem as a TMJD problem. considering all of this stuff appeared suddenly after eating 3lbs of beef jerky and going to 2 dental appointments within in a 2 week period. i've been wearing a night guard for about a week now. so far i can't tell if it is doing anything, but nothing has improved. what kind of treatments did you seek in this regard?

my family doctor prescribed me an anti-depressant called nortriptyline, which is apparently supposed to help with the tinnitus. so far nothing, but i've only been on it for one day.

i typically don't have issues with ear pressure. sometimes i have a sensation of aural fullness, but it mostly only happens when i'm exposed to too much noise. i can swallow and clear my ears of liquid easily enough. unfortunately my eustachian tubes still click when i talk, which i could live with if it wasn't coupled with hyperacusis and the annoying friggin' fluttery/spasm type crap.

Last edited by Tigersuit; 10-19-2012 at 12:33 PM.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
(female)

I'd try to get those tubes opened up a bit more to get the clicky stuff under control...trial of sudafed, mucinex, ibuprofen, and plenty of water. Lay off dairy if you use it; produces more mucus. It's worth a shot.

I sought the help of a neuromuscular dentist who only treats TMJD and has been at it for over 25 years. I think my splint needs adjusting as it now causes jaw pain/aching within about a half hour of wearing it. As the jaw slowly shifts into a less stressed position, the splint can be adjusted as well. Need to follow up on that as I can't wear the splint as it currently is.

Flexeril, the muscle relaxant I use, is being tested in clinical trials as a tinnitus drug. I can attest that it can miraculously turn the volume down on mine, which I believe is a mechanical/muscular problem as my hearing is stable, and manipulations of muscles can change the tone/loudness of my T. Honestly, I think my T is a vibration of the middle ear muscles...but short of having a camera inserted into my middle ear, there is no way to verify. It's quiet right now...like, zero T. Tomorrow, who knows?

Old 10-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #10
(male)

Tigersuit HB User

my night guard doesn't seem to be doing anything at all right now. tinnitus is literally SCREAMING. can you tell me what type of magnesium i should get? i'm not sure if the one i am taking is the right kind, and it's definitely not making a difference.

worst symptoms are definitely the hyperacusis and the "myoclonus" twitches in my left ear. eustachian tubes click and pop when i'm talking as well, and it can be itchy and painful in my left ear when this happens. the hyperacusis is so bad that i have to wear ear protection all the time.

so far i have had no breaks in my symptoms. it has only gotten worse. zero good days. i am losing my friggin' mind.

Last edited by Tigersuit; 10-21-2012 at 03:01 PM.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #11
(male)

Tigersuit HB User

my symptoms just keep getting worse. D=

Old 10-23-2012, 05:19 AM   #12
(male)

Liquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB User

Interesting how all of you have similar symptoms to me as well.Im off today to get fitted for my splint since I clench at night. I have two lines in my mouth one on each side from the clenching. My main Eustachian tube problem is they are frankly swollen shut. Below each ear from the lobe to the curve if my jaw is swollen. It's so bad that when I drink anything the backwash of air that comes up when the liquid goes down doesn't get regulated.Instead both sides pulsate and hurt so I need to take small sips.Im hopinp my splint works so I can't clench and these muscles can relax and heal.If this doesn't work I'm going to ask for two weeks of steroids as this is the ultimate in anti inflammatory . I've tried everything else including muscle relaxers and phffffffffff zero relief. Life sucks being dizzy 24/7 and on the verge of anxiety because your balance is always challenged.Im now looking into a possible food allergy as all this just doesn't randomly start for no reason !!! I wish you all luck , I'm on month 9 and over 10k in medical expenses so far, I know it's hard to hear doctors say ( there is nothing wrong) . Or worse say its all in your head must be stress! Yeah ok right.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:18 AM   #13
(male)

Tigersuit HB User

these symptoms have now progressed into severe hyperacusis as well as a significantly loud, intrusive and continually changing tinnitus. symptoms continue to get worse every few days, sometimes experiencing changes within one day. the tinnitus is changing most noticeably.

i have seen an audiologist - who diagnosed me with hyperacusis, an, ENT, and a neuro-otologist neither of whom could find anything wrong.

i still get the fluttering, and my eustachian tubes still click when i talk. when i swallow, my ears crackle VERY loudly. noise is so distressful at the moment that i need to wear hearing protection most of the time. this is absolutely ruining my life, but nobody has any idea what is happening. i am amazed this is even possible.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #14
(female)

clickclickENT HB User

I have the exact problem. The popping sound is more clear when I say words like "OK" "cookie". I caught a severe cold two weeks ago and I started having popping sounds in my throat when I talk. It seems like it's because of mucus in my throat and I'm using Mucinex and Afrin. The mucus is %90 gone but I still have the popping sound sometimes. But it is so annoying. I can't speak more than a few minutes. Sometimes even other people can hear the sound in my throat.

I also have another problem I am not sure whether they are related. I have a clicking sound in my right ear. It only happens when I run jump bounce etc. I've been having this for 4 months now.It started after I increased my workout intensity. I have seen 2 ENT doctors. I had a hearing test. They said there is nothing wrong in the tiny bones in my inner ear cause I hear perfectly fine. One of the doctors said that one of the muscles in my ear is having a spasm which is triggered by jumping running and it is because I don't get proper sleep. I usually sleep 6 hours at most.That's not something new. But, I feel like it is a mechanical sound that is triggered by up and down movement.It doesn't happen when I shake my head up and down. I don't think it has anything to do with my jaw since I don't have the clicking sound when I open my mouth,chew etc.They also checked my throat and the opening of the Eustachian tube with something like an endoscope. They can't see anything wrong.

I have also seen the same doctor for the popping sound in my throat and he said since I have the other clicking problem my brain is looking at every sound in my body with a magnifying glass and that I am exaggerating the problem which doesn't make sense to me since other people can also hear it. I am not sure how sleeping less than 8 hours caused all these things. He gave me antibiotics and prednisone. They didn't help at all.

Please let me know if anyone finds a solution.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #15
(male)

TallestFiddle HB User

Hey Tiger, I'm sorry to hear about these problems. I think I might have some similar symptoms. I also have TMJ problems, and clenching problems which I think might have aggravated the problems. I haven't been to the doctor for this yet.

I first realized a problem after taking marijuana and listening to loud music. The next day I had pain in my ear, my equilibrium felt off, and I had extreme sensitivity to sound.

It has gotten better than it was on that day, but I still have persisting sensitivity to sound, and pain when I try to use my ears too much (listening to music).

I also have clicking in my ears sometimes when those muscles go off ( the fluttering ) and it happens often when I swallow.

For some reason I can move these fluttering muscles at will, and when I do i hear a loud click in my left ear every time I do it. I'm not sure if everyone can do this or not, but I know its possible. So maybe if its not painful, trying to find out how to move these would help you.

Reply Reply